Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stay Here or Go back?

Stay Here or Go back?

Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:49 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stay Here or Go back?

Originally Posted by trafford
Even some of those who may want to leave NZ may not regret emigrating in the first place. I imagine they might be looking back with regret and kicking themselves for not giving things a go. You need to try things to know. I think it is harder when you have choices sometimes - we worry so much about making the wrong one. But they say you regret the things you didn't do more, so although I have some serious reservations about returning to NZ after living for 16 years in the UK, I know I will regret not giving it a go. We have been talking about it so long, it's about time we stopped procrastinating...waiting for the "best" time. So maybe those who want to leave should just do it and to hell with the "best" time. I have spent years thinking I just needed more information, or for someone to tell me the right thing to do. I figure there is never going to be a "right" answer on this issue.
Fair comment.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Fair comment.
I like that. Whatever the future holds, I am glad I moved here. It puts the UK in a new perspective for me and in particular it has made me realise I am done with big or "bigger" city life.

We only live once, we have to go things a go or what's the point in it all?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

It's impossible to predict what the future holds, & I'd never rule out a return to the UK. I had a good life there, friends, family, comfortable (centrally heated & double glazed) home & a job that I enjoyed. But we got the opportunity to move over here, & after a fair bit of debate we decided that we'd regret it forever if we didn't give it a go. But after very nearly 5 years here we're settled & enjoying NZ life. It's not perfect, NZ has it's problems, but then again so does the UK. For now I'm very happy to say that I'm here for the long term, no plans whatsoever to move away. But will we live out the rest of our days here? I have no idea!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:29 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Staying
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:35 am
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomsk
It's impossible to predict what the future holds, & I'd never rule out a return to the UK. I had a good life there, friends, family, comfortable (centrally heated & double glazed) home & a job that I enjoyed. But we got the opportunity to move over here, & after a fair bit of debate we decided that we'd regret it forever if we didn't give it a go. But after very nearly 5 years here we're settled & enjoying NZ life. It's not perfect, NZ has it's problems, but then again so does the UK. For now I'm very happy to say that I'm here for the long term, no plans whatsoever to move away. But will we live out the rest of our days here? I have no idea!
The only difference with us was that I'd gone as far as I could within the company I was working for. The management structure in place within the company that bought us out meant I had no opportunity for advancement or growth.

To find something rewarding, we would have had to move, and so we did. A little further than necessary perhaps, but it's not something we regret.

And we've been here 9 months, not 5 years. Other than that Tomsk and I have sufficient in common that I'm thinking of becoming Tobermory.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

I personally really respect the people that want to return for being so honest in how they feel, however even if I did want to return I just cannot see where I would see a job being in the UK and if I could get a job whether it would allow me the type of life day to day that I would accept.

For me, I would like to try another place in NZ as Auckland is changing fast and I am not sure I want to be here too much longer.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:47 am
gcr
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robbo25
For me, I would like to try another place in NZ as Auckland is changing fast and I am not sure I want to be here too much longer.
This is what we're wondering too... Hamilton? Napier? Not so keen on Welly, but Nelson or Dunedin?

At least there is plenty of choice.

Last edited by gcr; Mar 17th 2013 at 6:46 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Staying I know you can't predict future events that may change decisions but as far as I can tell into the future we have no plans to return to the UK and do not want to. Been in New Zealand 4.5 years and settled very well. I like living in Auckland (east Auckland) but also like very much some other parts of the country we have visited, and would consider a move elsewhere depending on timings/job opportunities. Have recently fallen for Tasman area, so you never know (We'd never been to NZ before we emigrated and didn't know anyone here).
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcr
This is what we're wondering too... Hamilton? Napier? Not so keen on Welly, but Nelson or Dunedin?

At least there is plenty of choice.
Investment in Auckland property seems a wise move at the mo, even if you choose not to live here...
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:12 am
gcr
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Investment in Auckland property seems a wise move at the mo, even if you choose not to live here...
We'd need money for that!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:54 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcr
We'd need money for that!
Just income.

Rates are low and banks are very loose really. It's as if the banking crisis had never happened. It's looked like housing bubble 2.0 since the end of last year so fill yer boots! NZRB have said they won't raise rates for at least a year!

Only one more bit of advise, make sure you are near a chair when the music abruptly stops .
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Stay Here or Go back?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Just income.

Rates are low and banks are very loose really. It's as if the banking crisis had never happened. It's looked like housing bubble 2.0 since the end of last year so fill yer boots! NZRB have said they won't raise rates for at least a year!

Only one more bit of advise, make sure you are near a chair when the music abruptly stops .
I'd say there is 12 months of the boom time left. Then it will begin to catch up with everyone like it did in the UK and US. Fingers crossed there is a MASSIVE property crash and people who took out stupidly unaffordable mortgages will soon realise the consequences. At the same time I do blame the banks.

Let me tell you a true story...

A friend of mine at work is looking to buy a house with her partner. She only has a 5% deposit, however to buy at auction she needs a 10% deposit. The bank have offered her a LOAN for all of the deposit as well as a competitive interest rate (around 4.75%). The bank(s) claimed that they do this a lot, so there's a lot of people out there living with serious amounts of debt. She claimed that the loan would cost her approximately $1000 a month until she can pay it off. She of course was sensible and declined that. But how many people will take the bait?

If you read the papers and what economists seem to say, there is a consensus that interest rates will rise towards the end of 2013 and start of 2014. That will hit a lot of recent home buyers hard.

Sorry if I seem somewhat harsh with my first statement, but I do generally believe it is foolishness to be taking out such large mortgages with such low interest rates (as they can only go up!)
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moomoo
Staying I know you can't predict future events that may change decisions but as far as I can tell into the future we have no plans to return to the UK and do not want to. Been in New Zealand 4.5 years and settled very well. I like living in Auckland (east Auckland) but also like very much some other parts of the country we have visited, and would consider a move elsewhere depending on timings/job opportunities. Have recently fallen for Tasman area, so you never know (We'd never been to NZ before we emigrated and didn't know anyone here).
Impressed at your bravery in emigrating with a leap of faith! Makes me think I am a tidgy bit chicken s**t worrying about the move, and I am a returning Kiwi!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:40 pm
gcr
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by davros1984
I'd say there is 12 months of the boom time left. Then it will begin to catch up with everyone like it did in the UK and US. Fingers crossed there is a MASSIVE property crash and people who took out stupidly unaffordable mortgages will soon realise the consequences. At the same time I do blame the banks.

Let me tell you a true story...

A friend of mine at work is looking to buy a house with her partner. She only has a 5% deposit, however to buy at auction she needs a 10% deposit. The bank have offered her a LOAN for all of the deposit as well as a competitive interest rate (around 4.75%). The bank(s) claimed that they do this a lot, so there's a lot of people out there living with serious amounts of debt. She claimed that the loan would cost her approximately $1000 a month until she can pay it off. She of course was sensible and declined that. But how many people will take the bait?

If you read the papers and what economists seem to say, there is a consensus that interest rates will rise towards the end of 2013 and start of 2014. That will hit a lot of recent home buyers hard.

Sorry if I seem somewhat harsh with my first statement, but I do generally believe it is foolishness to be taking out such large mortgages with such low interest rates (as they can only go up!)
Coming from the UK, the interest rates in NZ (while locally low) actually seem high. When we sold our place in the UK, we had been on a fixed rate of 3.95% (might have been 3.99) and I know there were offers around which were quite a lot lower than that.

Low rates encourage reckless spending. Then the rate goes up, and the trouble starts...
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gcr
Coming from the UK, the interest rates in NZ (while locally low) actually seem high. When we sold our place in the UK, we had been on a fixed rate of 3.95% (might have been 3.99) and I know there were offers around which were quite a lot lower than that.

Low rates encourage reckless spending. Then the rate goes up, and the trouble starts...
Indeed. Lots of people are going to be holding a screaming baby come rates rise time. Someone mooted now is a good time to buy in Auckland. Only problem is that some pundits think that the growth such as it has been is a 'bubble'. We all know bubbles burst and they are unsustainable. Look at the crash of '89 in the UK house wise, that was on the back of 3-4 years of almost doubling prices over that period.

Someone who takes out a mortgage will likely have it for about 20 years. Interest rates will not be 5% or thereabouts for the 20 years. One wonders how many have thought of this? I know their wages will rise but enough to sustain a 9 maybe 10% interest rate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.