Stay Here or Go back?

Stay Here or Go back?

Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:33 am
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stay Here or Go back?

Originally Posted by davros1984
The 3-bed homes were starting at around $780,000 at the time, which again to me is an astonishing amount of money.
$780k is a lot of money. It's easy to get complacent about these things, but if you consider that you'll need to have a household income of $100k, and an $80k deposit, then this starts to look more expensive. And that assumes no dependents, one car, and no credit cards or other loans of any sort.

Add a second car and just one dependent, and the minimum earnings have risen to $120k. There aren't many jobs being advertised at that sort of income; in fact, that sort of income places you among the higher earners in NZ. Yet this is a house price that is rapidly being considered 'normal'!

To look at it another way (and from an English ex-pat perspective), that's the equivalent of buying a GBP430,000 house.

I know it has been said many times in the UK, but how long can house prices like this be sustained? The UK has more than 60 million people crowded into it's small area. NZ has a tiny fraction of that.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by passthevalium
For all you expats

Will you stay in NZ?
Depends on how the extradition proceedings go.

Let me ask you a question though, is it more important to people it was their choice or that they live in the right country? I don't spend much time antagonising over the descision because, as with most things in life, its not my descision to make mostly. The factors that might want to make me leave here for somewhere else are beyond my control.

I'm still quite new round these parts (9.5ish years now) but the conclusion I draw about most expats is that you can be at least equally as miserable with more sunshine. Moving country is not a substitute for finding your own happiness, fulfillment, enlightenment etc.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

You the same as me. Still at 28, I hope I am able to change that sooner than later. IT looks good initially until you realise you are trapped to cities and the larger costs that come. Its hard breaking that mould, but I think leaving Auckland and moving somewhere cheaper will help with that - especially as my partner is a nurse and I could retrain into something else.

Thanks - I actually agree with most of what you say. Sorry if I have the ability to come across quite negatively at times, its more down to frustration. Being from the far end of Cornwall, Auckland feels incredibly busy in comparison. But the beaches here in Auckland are almost as good as there so it feels like home sometimes . Orewa is a beautiful place. If I could get a job on the Shore - I'd consider moving up the road! However saying this.. we did visit the display homes on the new estate they are building around the estuary. The 3-bed homes were starting at around $780,000 at the time, which again to me is an astonishing amount of money.

I think there are great places in Gloucestershire and Somerset to have and bring up kids - Bristol probably isn't one of them! Typically most of this seems to boil down to your line of work and where you have to be to do that.

Keep enjoying the good life.
Thanks
The new builds are chuffing expensive that's for sure. You can get decent 3 beds in Orewa for about 550/600
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:05 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

You the same as me. Still at 28, I hope I am able to change that sooner than later. IT looks good initially until you realise you are trapped to cities and the larger costs that come. Its hard breaking that mould, but I think leaving Auckland and moving somewhere cheaper will help with that - especially as my partner is a nurse and I could retrain into something else.
Yup, exactly right, you just need the will to do it.

Back in the day, when I was in the UK, I was a high flying account manager for a systems solutions provider, based around Lotus Notes and had previously worked for 12 years in technical roles, all within the IT industry.

When I left the UK, that was it, I had enough. So all sorts of weird and wonderful job roles followed. Eventually found my groove starting my own company, based around the wine industry. Much more fun than starting at a screen all day.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

After almost 10 years in NZ we are STAYING !!!!

Gill and Rob
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Gill and Rob. Where abouts are you?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

autawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the rough

I would go back tomorrow, husband is a Kiwi, wants to stay here, its hard
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

O no autawa! Why's it not for you?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

autawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the roughautawa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by M_and_M
O no autawa! Why's it not for you?
Hi there

Its nothing against NZ, i do like it here, I just feel like my time here has ran its course if that makes sense, been here since 2003 ( we did have a 2 year gap back home) came back feb 2011 with 10 month old son and 20 weeks pregnant with no2 and just havn't been able to settle, and its made me re-evaluate a lot of things, i have a huge family at home,kids have lots of cousins their age, etc etc, and i just miss home so much. I came to NZ as my husband is a Kiwi, not because i wasn't happy at home or needed a change.

not sure what will happen, only time will tell, i understand my OH not wanting to start all over again, I imagine we will end up staying here
Old Mar 14th 2013, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

autawa - so sorry to hear how you feel. Where in the UK are you from?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Will probably move on. Have spend many years in different countries and enjoy change. Auckland or NZ just wouldn't hold us permanently.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 9:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by autawa
I would go back tomorrow, husband is a Kiwi, wants to stay here, its hard
Comin' right back at ya. I'm in similar circumstances. Still, time will tell.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

trafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond reputetrafford has a reputation beyond repute

Even some of those who may want to leave NZ may not regret emigrating in the first place. I imagine they might be looking back with regret and kicking themselves for not giving things a go. You need to try things to know. I think it is harder when you have choices sometimes - we worry so much about making the wrong one. But they say you regret the things you didn't do more, so although I have some serious reservations about returning to NZ after living for 16 years in the UK, I know I will regret not giving it a go. We have been talking about it so long, it's about time we stopped procrastinating...waiting for the "best" time. So maybe those who want to leave should just do it and to hell with the "best" time. I have spent years thinking I just needed more information, or for someone to tell me the right thing to do. I figure there is never going to be a "right" answer on this issue.

Last edited by trafford; Mar 15th 2013 at 3:38 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Love it Trafford.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trafford
Even some of those who may want to leave NZ may not regret emigrating in the first place. I imagine they might be looking back with regret and kicking themselves for not giving things a go. You need to try things to know. I think it is harder when you have choices sometimes - we worry so much about making the wrong one. But they say you regret the things you didn't do more, so although I have some serious reservations about returning to NZ after living for 16 years in the UK, I know I will regret not giving it a go. We have been talking about it so long, it's about time we stopped procrastinating...waiting for the "best" time. So maybe those who want to leave should just do it and to hell with the "best" time. I have spent years thinking I just needed more information, or for someone to tell me the right thing to do. I figure there is never going to be a "right" answer on this issue.
YOU ARE RIGHT. I am glad I did the move, even if I returned yesterday to the UK NZ has been a roller coaster of ups and downs and overall has been a good experience over the 8 years here. I think some of my issues stem from the fact that I now regret 'retiring' early from plod, couple that with becoming a housewife full time (the hardest most poorly paid job there is in the western world!!). My sister tells me all about the horrible overcrowding in the Uk and I do accept that NZ is a good place to be overall warts and all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.