Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The state of English Rugby.

The state of English Rugby.

Old Sep 9th 2007, 3:33 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default The state of English Rugby.

As an ex player, and long term drinking supporter, I feel compelled to say I think we chose the right time to leave UK and head here.
Now, this may cause some resentment, but having migrated here, and with every intention of gaining citizenship, I sat up last night in my ABs shirt cheering the lads on.
I got up this morning, rewound the video, and from the first view of the England kit, thought "God, what have they done?" Hardly the kind of thing to strike fear into heart of the opponents when they're dolled out for a fashion parade.
Then, watching the old boys pootling round the pitch with a complete lack of direction, felt how nice it was of the commentators to keep prattling on about some crippled ex player who wasn't even on the bench, never mind the pitch. Still, at least General Dallaglio had hung up his Chelsea pensioners coat to chase them bloody kids about. The officials were lucky he gave them their ball back.
World champions......I think not. I think Rob Andrews face summed up the Old Country's feelings about that performance.
best of luck, but I think the trophy may be heading south of the equator for a while.

.............discuss:curse:
Old Sep 9th 2007, 4:43 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The state of English Rugby.

Is that the England that just beat the US 26-10?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
As an ex player, and long term drinking supporter, I feel compelled to say I think we chose the right time to leave UK and head here.
Now, this may cause some resentment, but having migrated here, and with every intention of gaining citizenship, I sat up last night in my ABs shirt cheering the lads on.
I got up this morning, rewound the video, and from the first view of the England kit, thought "God, what have they done?" Hardly the kind of thing to strike fear into heart of the opponents when they're dolled out for a fashion parade.
Then, watching the old boys pootling round the pitch with a complete lack of direction, felt how nice it was of the commentators to keep prattling on about some crippled ex player who wasn't even on the bench, never mind the pitch. Still, at least General Dallaglio had hung up his Chelsea pensioners coat to chase them bloody kids about. The officials were lucky he gave them their ball back.
World champions......I think not. I think Rob Andrews face summed up the Old Country's feelings about that performance.
best of luck, but I think the trophy may be heading south of the equator for a while.

.............discuss:curse:
The good news is that we are still World champions (for 2 weeks more at least, as we will get knocked out in quarter finals) !!!!!! Rugby is a (very) minority sport in England, some years we have a good team, some years not. It is a "plebs game for gentlemen" so we are bound to have a crappiyish team, as in England, Lions are usually led by Donkeys. 4 years ago was an exception. Rugby is the national sport in NZ, played by 10 times more people in a country of 4 million.

PS AB Shirt ? Traitor !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 9th 2007 at 5:40 am.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Rugby is a (very) minority sport in England
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:41 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Is that the England that just beat the US 26-10?

My thoughts exactly. They played a very good game.

Admittedly I suspect the AB's will (deservedly) win, although our money has been placed elsewhere, since the odds were much better!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:13 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is that we are still World champions (for 2 weeks more at least, as we will get knocked out in quarter finals) !!!!!! Rugby is a (very) minority sport in England, some years we have a good team, some years not. It is a "plebs game for gentlemen" so we are bound to have a crappiyish team, as in England, Lions are usually led by Donkeys. 4 years ago was an exception. Rugby is the national sport in NZ, played by 10 times more people in a country of 4 million.

PS AB Shirt ? Traitor !
Actually we are still world champions for another 5 weeks... unless you are only counting until we get knocked out then its 3 weeksish.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 6:02 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

So Maz, having seen Tonga also beat US by a similar score, and watching the England team this morning, you must admit it's a less than inspiring team now.
The fact that Tonga are eying England as lambs rather than lions shows that the lack of preparation for this cup was a big mistake.

Go ABs
Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

So Maz, having seen Tonga also beat US by a similar score, and watching the England team this morning, you must admit it's a less than inspiring team now.
The fact that Tonga are eying England as lambs rather than lions shows that the lack of preparation for this cup was a big mistake.

Go ABs
wtf was happening ? where was the passion ? it was if they were all sulking, listless rubbish, at least georgia made an effort, i have never seen such a demotivated:curse: england side at any sport
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:25 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Today, Saturday I saw the results of the England V South Africa match.. 36-0 nil to England! This afternoon I saw the All Blacks V Portugal....108 --13 to the Kiwis, pure skill and magic! They are the greatest team in the world I`d say! Sean Fitzpatrick sitting in the studio giving his comments really enjoyed the game.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:35 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

PS AB Shirt ? Traitor !
I think turncoat is the word you are looking for
Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:25 am
Maz

Go ABs
Define "seen". They don't exactly put rugby on primetime telly in the States. :curse:
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:23 am
HAPPY AS...

Originally Posted by ned
I think turncoat is the word you are looking for

I did say this to my also Pom workmate, but felt if I'd said it here bad feeling may arise.
Also, well done to Georgia, that's the king of passion England had a while back, even when they were losing in the five nations.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
Today, Saturday I saw the results of the England V South Africa match.. 36-0 nil to England! This afternoon I saw the All Blacks V Portugal....108 --13 to the Kiwis, pure skill and magic! They are the greatest team in the world I`d say! Sean Fitzpatrick sitting in the studio giving his comments really enjoyed the game.
For the first 20 min, NZ looked even worse than England, all those mistakes against an amateur team, they only scored 2 tries i think ! Our problem is a lack of will and passion, NZ ABs are quite arrogant and hopefully will be beaten by OZ (again). Hopefully we beat mighty Tonga and Samoa and will still get through to the quarter finals.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 16th 2007 at 7:07 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamburu pat
I thought South Africa won!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

England v Tonga
:
:

YES THAT WAS MORE LIKE IT : A bit of passion at last

Jona Lomu ! Fat Tongan King on your silly throne ! the player with the afro hair ! erm ................, anyway YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE 'ELL OF A BEATING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 28th 2007 at 9:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.