Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

State Asset Sale part II: The Meridian Saga.

State Asset Sale part II: The Meridian Saga.

Old Sep 17th 2013, 10:00 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink State Asset Sale part II: The Meridian Saga.

Let's not get too bogged down in ethics here (the government certainly haven't), is there going to be money to be made from buying into this heap? Who's in, who's out, who thinks they have the inside line on making a penny flogging our childrens futures?

I'll start: I know nothing about windmills but apparently having electricity in your house is the done thing now. If I buy in it'll be for a good time and not for a long time, I don't like SOEs and most utilities are basket cases really in terms of growth.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Asset Sale part II: The Meridian Saga.

I'm out for sure, don't agree with the asset sales, and it's no surprise to see the next one's being rushed through now there's a referendum on the issue to be arranged.

At least the last one's trading in middling ground, and raced ahead which would be a sure fire indication it was sold cheaply. Still loads of money wasted advertising the sales, and then the $30m bribe to Rio Tinto to keep the southern aluminium works open for another 3 years.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Middle ground? Last time I looked it had taken a hammering despite above guidance profits.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I wont be investing! Not sure how many "mum's & dad's will either after the big drop in the Mighty River price.

I wonder what Genesis will do?
Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:31 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
I wont be investing! Not sure how many "mum's & dad's will either after the big drop in the Mighty River price.
Which is why it might be priced competitively.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 8:03 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: State Asset Sale part II: The Meridian Saga.

I've not yet got out my calculator but...it actually looks pretty attractive on the surface.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 2:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

I'm in and in deep as well. Won't hold.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

A typo on my post
At least the last one's trading in middling ground, and NOT raced ahead
I'd disagree re the fact they have taken a hammering, Mighty River Shares have hardly tanked since launch, they're down 8% and that's not including a 7c dividend, it's to be expected that shares have up and downs.

If someone wants a guaranteed return then shares aren't the place to gambling your savings. That's not to say shares are a bad investment, because over time the return from them is usually much more the bank interest which barely beats inflation.

If the MRP shares were up say 20% since float, then quite rightly we'd be complaining they'd been under sold at launch.

That said as mentioned earlier, I'm against the sales on principle. All the utilities were sold in the UK, and the vast majority of them are now in foreign hands. So we have Cos earning regular returns and practically no risk, with the profits going overseas.

Re: Meridian shares being sold as great investments for the so called 'mum and dad investors', it's garbage must M&Ds are struggling to pay mortgages and ain't got the free money to buying back a share of the assets the govt is giving away. For M&Ds paying off debt will offer a much safer return than borrowing to buy back the family silver.

I can't see Meridian being competitively priced, instead it be going cheap so that there is a better immediate return than MRP.

Anyway at least we now have a date for the referendum. Sure there's a cost to that, but a pittance compared to that wasted on both floats.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: State Asset Sale part II: The Meridian Saga.

Look we know it's mostly selling our childrens futures to assist the rich people in getting wealthier, that's not being debated. Setting aside ethics the question is how we can make money out of this omnishambles?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'll buy some, my feeling is that these will be good value partly due to the dubious performance of MRP.
I agree with the principle of the sales, and am partly buying just because I detest Russell Norman and his pack of communist buddies, so it's sticking a finger up at them.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if they would be a problem selling these in the future if you are no longer resident in NZ??
Old Oct 12th 2013, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
does anyone know if they would be a problem selling these in the future if you are no longer resident in NZ??
I can't see why there would.

In the offer there were guarantees given to NZ residents, which is why they asked for residence information at that point. Those won't apply when you sell.

You will need a broker to sell the shares on your behalf and if you don't have one already then Anti Money Laundering rules will mean they ask you for proof of identity before they will let you have any money from the sale. That last part could add a delay that you were otherwise not expecting.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:47 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Your bank can AML verify you now so when you flog the shares the money can be credited straight back. As mentioned you'll probably be buying at 180 rather than 160 if you sell before 2015 or don't reside here at that point which may make it slightly less attractive.

To be honest though I have no intention of sitting on them for the extra 20c/share until 2015 if things go the way I anticipate.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Going well so far, using the standard BE wealth measure I made a few bottles of whisky today.

Now lets discuss exit strategies. When are we planning, what would make you consider an out?