Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Starting a new life in NZ

Starting a new life in NZ

Old Sep 28th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Phil2961 has a brilliant futurePhil2961 has a brilliant futurePhil2961 has a brilliant futurePhil2961 has a brilliant futurePhil2961 has a brilliant futurePhil2961 has a brilliant future
Smile Starting a new life in NZ

Hi All,
I hope someone can help with some answers to my questions as to what I am lead to believe about starting a new life in NZ;

1. Are class 5 (class 1 in UK) truck drivers needed in NZ
2. Are employers more approachable if you go knocking on doors rather than contacting via post, phone, email etc
3. If a job is offered, can all processes of immigration be done when in NZ
4. Is it true that there is a 4 yr limit to being able to stay and work on a working visa and if so, can a permenant residency be obtained within this time

I ask these questions as a last resort as I turn 50 this Thursday and want to leave UK because I believe it's going to the dogs without a future, with that do I continue my quest to move to NZ permenantly or give up the ghost, I have heard that employers look favourably on those who are prepared to knock on doors looking for work rather than sit on their backsides waiting for work to come to them. I have also read on the immigration site that as I hold a UK passport I don't need a visa to enter NZ, then once in NZ and I'm offered a position of employment I am able to go through the immigration procedure but am only able to stay in that job for four years then I have to leave being unable to apply for permenant residency, if this is so then it makes me think as to whether it's worth the hassle of waiting that long in the hope that the immigration laws change in my favour or in the hope that I meet someone and get married, or is that another story ???

This all might sound somewhat confusing but I hope you can see what I'm getting at.

Regards

Phil
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:46 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting a new life in NZ

Hi there. As a former recruiter I'll try and help you out with a few of these, and hopefully some truckie types will be able to add their 2c.

1. Are class 5 (class 1 in UK) truck drivers needed in NZ
In some areas, yes, but it is a tight market

2. Are employers more approachable if you go knocking on doors rather than contacting via post, phone, email etc
Definately, yes.

3. If a job is offered, can all processes of immigration be done when in NZ
Yes - though this has a wide range of caveats attached and you would need to have all of your ducks in a row regarding your UK paperwork (police checks etc) before considering it

4. Is it true that there is a 4 yr limit to being able to stay and work on a working visa and if so, can a permenant residency be obtained within this time
I have no idea on whether this is true or not, however the time you can live AND work here as a non-resident will depend entirely on the visa you secure. Some I have seen are indefinate, some are limited to a particular employer over a particular time period. To the second part - Yes.

Sounds like you are thinking of coming over as a visitor for 6 months, and seeing how the dice roll. A good move if A) you can afford it and B) you can handle it not working out. Many have done it and a number have succeeded - just ensure you have a plan B should the wheels fall off.

In my view, fortune favours the brave. If you are in a position to come to NZ for 6 months and work your butt off finding a place who will commit to you, then go for it. You're a long time dead, and regrets are a waste of thinking time.

Good luck.