Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Starting to get real now!!

Starting to get real now!!

Old May 28th 2005, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Starting to get real now!!

Hiya... only 8 more days left in the UK for us!!

Today it finally started to hit home that we are going as I had to say goodbye to family members. It wasnt very nice not knowing how soon we would see them again. We have promised to send loads of emails but its not going to be the same... we have quite frequent family gatherings on my partners side and its sad knowing that next time they all meet up we wont be with them.... they are all such lovely people.

I'm starting to feel a bit sad again....it can only get worse as I say goodbye to even more people...and I cant even think about saying the final goodbye to my parents without tears welling up!!

One thing we have sorted today is a supply of Bisto gravy granules!!.... mother-in-law went to the cash and carry and we are stowing away a massive box of it in the container!! One less thing to worry about.... just got to live without it til the container arrives.

A question for the people who have already made the move.... when people say they will come and visit you in NZ do they ever actully make it?? I just have a feeling its going to be a long time til we see our families again.

Its exciting going I know...filling in the EOI is exciting.... geting the ITA pack is even more exciting.... getting the blue visas blows your mind but now its getting real and I'm feeling upset about leaving.

Sarah B
Old May 28th 2005, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all
Default Re: Starting to get real now!!

Originally Posted by SarahB

Today it finally started to hit home that we are going as I had to say goodbye to family members. It wasnt very nice not knowing how soon we would see them again. We have promised to send loads of emails but its not going to be the same... we have quite frequent family gatherings on my partners side and its sad knowing that next time they all meet up we wont be with them.... they are all such lovely people.

I'm starting to feel a bit sad again....it can only get worse as I say goodbye to even more people...and I cant even think about saying the final goodbye to my parents without tears welling up!!

One thing we have sorted today is a supply of Bisto gravy granules!!.... mother-in-law went to the cash and carry and we are stowing away a massive box of it in the container!! One less thing to worry about.... just got to live without it til the container arrives.

A question for the people who have already made the move.... when people say they will come and visit you in NZ do they ever actully make it?? I just have a feeling its going to be a long time til we see our families again.

Its exciting going I know...filling in the EOI is exciting.... geting the ITA pack is even more exciting.... getting the blue visas blows your mind but now its getting real and I'm feeling upset about leaving.

Sarah B
Hi Sarah

Yes they will come - the first year you will probably have heaps of visitors - but then they tail off. As do the e-mails and letters after 2 years. Its just a simple fact that we're not a part of their daily lives anymore and so they stay in touch less often. I will have my Uncle and AUnt here this year for Xmas and I am really looking forward to it.

As for the goodbyes - they are awful. I asked my Parents not to come to the airport the last 2 times as its just too hard to say goodbye for all of us. It quite literally breaks my heart every time. My best friend and I always cry and I feel choked when I have to say goodbye. If I am honest, it almost fels like a death everytime we go through the goodbye - whether its us leaving the UK or them leaving New Zealand. However, I always try and make sure I have a time in mind of when I will see them again as it seems to help.

Enjoy your trip over, Take a BIG box of tissues to the airport. Mail us all when you arrive here.

Take Care
Sunshine
Old May 29th 2005, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sunshine!!

My parents say they want to come and visit us in February so thats not too long to wait. They arnt coming to the airport with us....nobody is... as they said it would be just too hard to cope with. We are actually getting chauffeur driven down to the airport.... rather nice for us not to have to drive.

I spose its a bit of a shock as its the first real family goodbye I've ever had to make. I've lived in this area all my life and see my parents every week. I ring them whenever I want for a good natter.... I just know its going to be so hard when we get there...I guess I just have to be strong.
Old May 29th 2005, 12:05 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
Hi Sarah

Yes they will come - the first year you will probably have heaps of visitors - but then they tail off. As do the e-mails and letters after 2 years. Its just a simple fact that we're not a part of their daily lives anymore and so they stay in touch less often. I will have my Uncle and AUnt here this year for Xmas and I am really looking forward to it.

As for the goodbyes - they are awful. I asked my Parents not to come to the airport the last 2 times as its just too hard to say goodbye for all of us. It quite literally breaks my heart every time. My best friend and I always cry and I feel choked when I have to say goodbye. If I am honest, it almost fels like a death everytime we go through the goodbye - whether its us leaving the UK or them leaving New Zealand. However, I always try and make sure I have a time in mind of when I will see them again as it seems to help.

Enjoy your trip over, Take a BIG box of tissues to the airport. Mail us all when you arrive here.

Take Care
Sunshine
Stop it all of you I'm filling up!!! It must be heartbreaking for you Sarah but I wish you all the best and I've sent you some gravy karma to see you on your way. 8 days is just over a week :scared: I can't imagine what it's like to be so close to leaving.We met a family at the Salisbury meet last week who had 4 days to go from the day we met them. The kids seemed excited about it, and the parents were amazingly calm (probably hiding the panic behind a cool exterior). When you get to NZ and are settled keep in touch with all of us on the forum, we want to hear of your experiences warts 'n' all (not too many warts we hope). Good luck!!!
Old May 29th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks....I'm sitting here in floods now....I feel so daft!!

Taking laptop with us so will be able to pop on and say hi to you. Wont get my poota though til sometime in July...what will I use first.... poota or box of gravy granules?!
Old May 29th 2005, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Thanks Sunshine!!

My parents say they want to come and visit us in February so thats not too long to wait. They arnt coming to the airport with us....nobody is... as they said it would be just too hard to cope with. We are actually getting chauffeur driven down to the airport.... rather nice for us not to have to drive.

I spose its a bit of a shock as its the first real family goodbye I've ever had to make. I've lived in this area all my life and see my parents every week. I ring them whenever I want for a good natter.... I just know its going to be so hard when we get there...I guess I just have to be strong.
I know it is hard. I was the same with my folks and my best mate. Try and be strong - stay focused on all the reasons you want to b here and trist your decision to come to be the right one. You will miss them - especially for the first 3 - 6 months but honestly the longer you're here the easier it gets. I will be thinking of you. Kleenex sales will be up this week - wise move with not having people at the airport - airport goodbyes are just too hard. We did it the first time - but not again. I don't even go with my parents to AKL airport when they come here - my OH does it as I just can't stand it. Mail us and let us know your here when you are settled. Chin up, and very best wishes for the journey and your new life here in NZ.
Old May 29th 2005, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

It certainly is hard...and going to get worse but I'll be ok.

Just had a girly emotional moment but I'm ok now.... thanks for all your kind words and the Karma!! I'm off to bed as its a bit late...nite nite xx
Old May 29th 2005, 12:28 am
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks....I'm sitting here in floods now....I feel so daft!!

Taking laptop with us so will be able to pop on and say hi to you. Wont get my poota though til sometime in July...what will I use first.... poota or box of gravy granules?!
If you so worried about living without those precious gravy granules I suggest you stick some in you luggage. You shouldnt have a problem with them as long as they arent opened when you come through customs. I always bring heaps of things like that back with me when Ive been home for a visit & it might just tide you over until your container arrives.
The goodbyes are nautrally going to be harder with each passing day but you will get through it some how. The main thing is to focus on what lies ahead of you. Look only to the future & no looking back. Your family will get to visit you in your new home just as they say they will & think of all the little goodies from home they will stacked away inside their luggage for you Emails wont be the same as seeing them but believe me they can be a life line too so as long as you keep sending them out they will all reply. I couldnt survive here without my daily contact from my family via email & messenger. Im sure you will do just fine. Sending you best wishes to help get you through these last few days of goodbyes.
Hope you get to feeling happier soon.

Cheers
Shepslady
Old May 29th 2005, 1:08 am
Franklin

Best of luck on your move to NZ. There are plenty of people on this forum who can help you deal with the inevitable issues that flow from such a huge move and change of life styles. I must say though, that I do envy you. NZ is such a beautiful country and while moving to NZ is going to be a challenge, it is also going to be a fantastic adventure!

Sarah B

Old May 29th 2005, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

ex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really niceex geordie is just really nice

Just had a girly emotional moment but I'm ok now.... thanks for all your kind words and the Karma!! I'm off to bed as its a bit late...nite nite xx
hi sarah i havnt been using this forum long so dont know your circumstances are you coming with children where will you be staying when you get here?
i found in one way it was a relief when the day came to leave and wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be just wanted to get on our way we left our son and daughter ages 25 & 23 in uk but our daughter told us to look on it as an adventure and thats what we did .good luck
Old May 29th 2005, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

nessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nicenessie is just really nice

Sarah

I hope it goes OK for you - I'm sure it will be hard but arriving in NZ will make it all worth while. We're not planning to fly out until end August but I'm already worrying about the goodbyes as well.

Best Wishes
N
Old May 29th 2005, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone...its been a big help reading all your replies.

I think last night I felt so upset as its the first time I've had to say goodbyes like that. I feel a bit better about it today. Now like ex geordie said I just want to get it done with.....I want to be on my way now. I tell everyone its a big adventure too and we're lucky to get this chance.

We are in our late 30's ex geordie and have an 18 month old son. My partner has accepted a job in Auckland with the same company that he works for over here. We are going to stay with his new boss for first couple of weeks until we find somewhere to rent. We have put our houses up for rent here but will no doubt sell one of them if we settle in NZ and decide to buy a house there.

I cant believe we've got to our last week in the UK. Sometimes I look around me and I dont want to leave as everything here is so beautiful at the moment.

Oh well.... no turning back now. Heres to our last week in UK!!
Old May 30th 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

patsy88 is on a distinguished road

Sarah B
hi sarah at first you will get loads of emails and phone calls,and someone will come over to see you but after about 2 years they all stop,and you will get email now and again, as your life will change
Old May 30th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah I guess that will happen.

Today was awful as I said good bye to my best mate... I was ok til she started crying then I did too. In the end I had to walk away and not look back as it was too difficult.... remind me not to emigrate again!!
Old May 30th 2005, 10:09 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Best of luck Sarah.. you'll be fine and so busy that this week will be a distant memory in no time.. honest, this passes very quick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.