Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Starter Packs For New Arrivals

Starter Packs For New Arrivals

Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Starter Packs For New Arrivals

I've been meaning to get round to this idea and haven't done so in an official capacity yet. But speaking with a few new arrivals over the last week made me think I must get on to it.

The 2 families I've met in the last week or so who have recently arrived and some who have been here longer are obviously waiting on containers.

I, for one, have items surplus to requirements and indeed even some things not yet unpacked that we've doubled up on and we've been here nearly 3 years!

I think it would be great if each area where there is a fairly regular influx of new arrivals could set up some kind of starter pack. If each person chucked their items that they don't use and could be helpful to someone with nothing, into a box and kept it in their garage. Perhaps then have an area co-ordinator or arrange a welcome meet up and see if you have anything the newbies could make use of.

It could range from mattresses and linen, cutlery and crockery to books and games for the kids? Whatever you have going spare that you think you could have done with whilst you had nothing? Obviously there won't be any alcohol floating around as that's never surplus to requirements.

I discussed this with a couple of people at one of our meet-ups in the week and found those I spoke to had things they could donate.

When their container arrives they pass the stuff back to the co-ordinator or pass it on to the next family?

I'm happy to get the ball rolling in our area once I have had our visitors arrive and go ... anyone, anywhere else willing to pick up the mantle in their area?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starter Packs For New Arrivals

Great Idea

We are presently in Team -'Haven't got much and waiting for stuff to arrive'. As soon as it does I will make up boxes this end with our spare stuff. We have massive storage capacity at the house so no worries there.

Anyone else?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Great idea I have several things that I have doubled up on. Toasters, kettles etc.
I could assist/co-ordinate????? in the Hamilton, Waikato area.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

hehe... i've been thinking about this for a while too! (great minds n all that - well, yours is.. mine i think not!) my only problem is that we haven't actually got anything to chuck in a box other than some red shed cutlery!... Whangaparaoa/HBC
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea ....oddly something I'd been vaguely thinking about recently as I was trying to work out what would be useful for new arrivals

I'd be happy to help out in Rotorua, I've not got a huge amount of surplus stuff, but there's always crockery, bedlinen & towels...... somehow I do tend to have too much of those things
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Hi Am loolah

what a great idea!! cant help at the moment as we are still in the Uk
but for us even now we are thinking logistics of how to bring essentials to tide us over til container arrives so that would definetly help any new arrivals.. think it would also help as a start with connecting to. people already in NZ

Dave and Helen
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Fab idea,but I am a bit like Stoof and don't have much surplus...towels and bedlinen maybe....suppose every little helps.

Phyl x
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:02 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I've been meaning to get round to this idea and haven't done so in an official capacity yet. But speaking with a few new arrivals over the last week made me think I must get on to it.

The 2 families I've met in the last week or so who have recently arrived and some who have been here longer are obviously waiting on containers.

I, for one, have items surplus to requirements and indeed even some things not yet unpacked that we've doubled up on and we've been here nearly 3 years!

I think it would be great if each area where there is a fairly regular influx of new arrivals could set up some kind of starter pack. If each person chucked their items that they don't use and could be helpful to someone with nothing, into a box and kept it in their garage. Perhaps then have an area co-ordinator or arrange a welcome meet up and see if you have anything the newbies could make use of.

It could range from mattresses and linen, cutlery and crockery to books and games for the kids? Whatever you have going spare that you think you could have done with whilst you had nothing? Obviously there won't be any alcohol floating around as that's never surplus to requirements.

I discussed this with a couple of people at one of our meet-ups in the week and found those I spoke to had things they could donate.

When their container arrives they pass the stuff back to the co-ordinator or pass it on to the next family?

I'm happy to get the ball rolling in our area once I have had our visitors arrive and go ... anyone, anywhere else willing to pick up the mantle in their area?
I am happy to help move things with the van
when i get it going again
good idea
Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

As we are currently living with nothing in a very empty house i can certainly see the need for this - it would be great.

But - can i just say - to all those that are worrying about coming over with nothing but their suitcases till their stuff arrives in a big box - there are plenty of rental places that can help.

We have rented a fridge/freezer, washer, microwave and hoover from one place and cutlery,crockery, beds, linen, sofa etc from some place else - its not fantastic stuff but its mostly clean and tidy and hasnt cost the earth and 4 weeks is about the minimum term so its not exactly forever x

Just thought it might help you to know they're there until everyone gets this network of friendly help up and running x

Psycho x
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:22 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

great idea Am Loolah certainly makes the headache of what to bring a little easier.

Cheers for that Psychopandy, very good to know

Dewb

Last edited by Dewb09; Jan 31st 2010 at 7:25 am.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I have an armchair to donate for sure
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:08 am

Great, it seems we have some interest for various areas.

I didn't know you could rent crockery and cutlery etc Psychopandy so that's good to know if we fall short on any of those things - can you let us know where you've rented them from?

I guess now it's up to volunteers from each area to co-ordinate what people can offer and then liaise with any newbies who get in touch due to your area? Unless someone else can think of a better way?

I can't organise what I have available until after our visitors have been and gone. Hubby was then going to have a big TradeMe sell off, so I'll keep a few things back with this in mind.

But if any newly arrived folks want to chip in with what they would have found useful it would give us some reminders - seems an awfully long time ago that we arrived, plus we went into furnished, holiday accommodation!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Hello, sorry , misseed this bit - sorting schools out

This is where we have rented our bits n pieces from. They are based in cambrdige but that's not why we used them - it was cos they were 'cost effective'
They were happy to let us pick n choose what we needed from what they provided. they turned up on time as promised, the kitchen stuff was nice and clean (the pans looks brand new) and they were very pleasant.

The lady who brought our stuff with her husband are south african and have been here a few years now - probably where their idea came from.
As they are cambridge based they were very helpful with local knowledge and schools etc.

http://www.rentessentials.co.nz/

This should help you find them - they reckon they deliver over most of the Waikato.

I would use them again if needed (which hopefully we wont) x

Just one small thing - shop around for the big stuff - we went from 'mr Rental' in Hamilton on Lincoln Street to DTR on Victoria Road in hamilton and the prices halved for everything - i think Mr Rental actually wanted us to buy the bloody things so we went with DTR - very nice chap - if you just put in DTR Hamilton on a google search it will find em x We got the microwave, fridge/freezer, washer, hoover, telly and stand from them x

Hope it helps x

Psycho x
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:36 am

Talking with some more newbies a couple of weeks ago and we remembered this thread from way back.

Unfortunately, due to my separation anything I'd doubled up on the ex took, so I'm not much use really. No surprise. But I would be more than happy to co-ordinate for the Tauranga area.

It would be great to see some other users step up with items/donations or offer to help co-ordinate.

If we can get it together we can make a "sticky" thread for people coming to your area to make contact if they are in need.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

What a great idea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.