Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Stabbings! Auckland, Invercargill, Hokitika!!!!!!!!!!

Stabbings! Auckland, Invercargill, Hokitika!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stabbings! Auckland, Invercargill, Hokitika!!!!!!!!!!

And thats all within 2 days what on earth is going on this is crazy 2 dead and one undergoing surgery for several stab wounds to the neck from either a knife or broken bottle and this was an after ball party!
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2...-ball039-party
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stabbings! Auckland, Invercargill, Hokitika!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by cally49
And thats all within 2 days what on earth is going on this is crazy 2 dead and one undergoing surgery for several stab wounds to the neck from either a knife or broken bottle and this was an after ball party!
http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/2...-ball039-party
Its really terrible. I blame toothless courts,laws and punishment. We need to get hard like the penal system in Singapore. Which party in NZ stands firm on looking after what appears to be a lawless society?

If we do not act now NZ will be just as bad as many of the places we have left to come here for what we perceive as a safer way of life.

However all that said it does not make me think NZ is a poor choice. This shit goes on everywhere..all the time..look at Finland 2 awful school massacres in as many years..mind you back in the 90's NZ had one of the worlds worst at a beauty spot.

Inspite of all the crap happening here I still feel safer here than I did in the town I left back in the UK.

This sort of crap will continue to happen while people abuse drugs and alcohol the way they do in NZ.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Stabbings! Auckland, Invercargill, Hokitika!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Genesis
Its really terrible. I blame toothless courts,laws and punishment. We need to get hard like the penal system in Singapore. Which party in NZ stands firm on looking after what appears to be a lawless society?

If we do not act now NZ will be just as bad as many of the places we have left to come here for what we perceive as a safer way of life.

However all that said it does not make me think NZ is a poor choice. This shit goes on everywhere..all the time..look at Finland 2 awful school massacres in as many years..mind you back in the 90's NZ had one of the worlds worst at a beauty spot.

Inspite of all the crap happening here I still feel safer here than I did in the town I left back in the UK.

This sort of crap will continue to happen while people abuse drugs and alcohol the way they do in NZ.
Yes you are right it does happen the world over i decided to start a new thread as the other one i was posting on was started by someone for the gentleman stabbed in Auckland originally.

I could not believe it when i went outside just before lunch and said to my partner crikey there was another stabbing in Invercargill overnight and he said oh there's been another in Hokitika since then in fact i didnt believe him and went and did a google search and there it was, these were teenagers obviously with a stash of booze available to them. The thing is i think that years ago people used to deal with issues and have a proper punch up nowadays they have knives on them. In fact my partners daughter who is 18 and lives here with us at the moment has a knife in her room in a sheath its a fancy ornamental one but looks to me like it has been sharpened she has been warned at how stupid this is because even if shes carrying it for protection it could be used against her if she was attacked but has her dad taken it off her nope....So i have to say that a lot of this also is down to the parents and their its easier to bury their heads in the sand mentality.....I seriously believe there is a very interesting generation of youngsters now that in 10-15yrs time will be very interesting members of society.

I do hope something does get done here before it spirals out of control it is such a shame if the powers that be let it slide you are right NZ is a beautiful country and has the same problems as any other but some of the crimes that happen here would probably not even get reported in a bigger country and thats the difference we are very small in comparison.
All the best
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Sep 27th 2008 at 3:23 am.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:36 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

And what makes it come to light even more so is that you are in NZ, it would not even be headline news in UK, because of low population it makes headline news, i used to work with Police in UK and loads of stabbings and murders never even made it to the papers, but here in NZ and in some sleepy towns, well its major story time, sad for that guy in Auckland, as he was just helping someone out.

I visit many houses each week in my job and most of them leave their doors open/unlocked or key in mail box for me, so that sort of says it all about Dunedin and some towns, its still way way lower in crime statistics than UK.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Give me the child till he's 5/7 (that varies) and I'll show you the man - a saying usually attributed to the Jesuits and one I hold to be very, very true. How many people can put their hands on their heart these days and swear that their children don't run their lives? I don't pander to children and never have and I think anyone who does is an idiot. If I hear one more parent plead with their child to do what they're told I think I'm going to explode. If people would only realise that doing this to a child is just as cruel as beating them then maybe they'd stop. They're not prepared for adulthood and have no idea how to deal with disappointments that will occur whether or not they're mollycoddled - they think that acting like a ..... whatever... is their right and God forbid you complain to their parents Oh I think I'm turning into a 'grumpy old woman'