St Heliers

Old Dec 20th 2014, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default St Heliers

Starting to look for our own house longer term. What is St Heliers like?

For driving into CBD and getting to Epsom area for schools?

Would good to hear from people who work in city and live in this area. We are looking at a few properties around the Ladies Mile area.

Any recommendations for Sunday brunch cafes or decent Saturday night restaurants. Friday night bars?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Heliers

Personally i think it is nonsense. What sealed it was a member on a forum about 10 years ago stating he was going to live there, and when i said I couldn't see the appeal myself, their reply was that it was "where everyone would live in Auckland if they could afford it"
That summed up the type of noob who lives there. And they can keep it.
I live in Torbay on the North Shore, and I think it is a bit like St Heliers but without the BMW-fuelled traffic and with decent (not snobby) people.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Strange comment for that member to make.

What I am after are a property with views that provides easy access for me to work and to my daughters schools.

North of bridge is to far from schools, but have been to some places so can see the attraction.

Got to st heliers by following the beach road. In my (newly acquired 2000 honda civic).
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:02 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I got told not to go to the North Shore because there are too many poms there.

St Heliers seems nice to me. I'm afraid I don't know it very well. One member here did move there and found it too expensive, but if your income is good I can't see a problem. I imagine it will be a busy commute, but where isn't these days. At least you won't have to tackle the bridge every day.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
Strange comment for that member to make.
Am full of strange comments, me. My nan called it 'straight talking'. Not much around these days - particularly with this new-fangled internewt thing, which is why it may seem strange.

What I am after are a property with views that provides easy access for me to work and to my daughters schools.
You have daughters who are in schools, and you want to buy a property near that school? I can understand that. I am a big fan of children going to their local school. You can of course move their school to suit where you live - that is a choice. I assume you have experience of this when you moved to NZ?

North of bridge is to far from schools, but have been to some places so can see the attraction.
No, we have schools on the North Shore. Yes, the shore is attractive. As is St Heliers. IMO the differences lie not in the scenery

Last edited by bearskin; Dec 22nd 2014 at 7:17 am. Reason: sp
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmh
LOL, I got told not to go to the North Shore because there are too many poms there.
True. Blooming migrants everywhere in Auckland. You could make similar but not exactly the same comments about East or South Auckland.

Originally Posted by jmh
St Heliers seems nice to me. I'm afraid I don't know it very well. One member here did move there and found it too expensive, but if your income is good I can't see a problem. I imagine it will be a busy commute, but where isn't these days. At least you won't have to tackle the bridge every day.
Our cats are from St Heliers area! The boy is cool, the girl a wee madam. Both aces in their separate ways. Yes, commuting is a shambles. Don't do it. Research shows it will make you miserable
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

? You mentioned a poster 10 years ago?

Straight talking?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

? You mentioned a poster 10 years ago?
Wasn't you was it?
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bearskin
Wasn't you was it?
I don't pass comment on others decisions.

I find it strange having seen the view of a house today being rather unspectacular.

One I am seeing tomorrow has views from Whitford to rangitoto including waiheke.

what is Shelly park like? Been told to take slyvia park or highbrook exit on southern motorway. Apparently the train from slyvia park is only 20 mins to britomart
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

One I am seeing tomorrow has views from Whitford to rangitoto including waiheke.
Yes, those blocks out in Whitford are nice. I think the idea of views 'to rangitoto including waiheke' is stretching it a bit though. Not strictly views of those places. Views of some nice green fields with a micro sliver of blue in the distance.

I ride down East Coast Road past Rangitoto College most workdays. That is a view of Rangitoto. I was told it is a deliberate, planned view.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bearskin
Yes, those blocks out in Whitford are nice.
Sorry? The properties are two titles side by side in "Shelly park" the pan aroma view is from Whitford to the west, waiheke north west, sweeping to rangitoto northeast. All from the verandah
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very Strange

Based on our experiences we would assume the outer east a more expensive area. But it appears different in eyes of the estate agents. Thus our problem is now ensuring a new house build is not overcapitalised.

The property in Shelly Park indeed has million dollar views Difference being the boats are sail yachts not container ships.

It was very quiet (in a good way) in terms of traffic. Could hear kids playing (trampoline next door) Lawn mower somewhere down the street. Respectively St Heliers is more urban and you expect more road/street noise.

St Heliers just appeared more like "lunch" time during the week (where you take a breather from the office to grab a sandwich outside rather than in the building) than "weekend" chill time.

The way the "Shelly Park" property lies it benefits from a view frontage of a good 40 metres compared to the one in St Heliers that has only 20.

The surrounding properties are also "houses" rather than units or apartments. Respectively again "Shelly Park" is suburbia.

Found the food, service and other patrons in the Howick Cafes more to my liking. Went to a place called "The Good Home" which used to be called "The Prospect".

Any one live out that way for experiences? I understand there is a ferry from Half Moon Bay to the city,
Old Dec 24th 2014, 3:39 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly would expect St Heliers to be more expensive. Just look at the map. It's much nearer to the CBD. I would prefer to buy a nicer/bigger property in Half Moon Bay or similar location than a smaller place in St Heliers.

Mind you, Whitford would be my pick, but that's getting a bit far from the school your kids are at.

Last edited by jmh; Dec 24th 2014 at 3:41 am.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Both land sizes same
Land orientation is different
St Heliers is double the price
But in some ways half the value
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Both land sizes same
Land orientation is different
St Heliers is double the price
But in some ways half the value
Hence, confirming comments above from bearskin still hold true. Seems most only choose it because of the bragging rights that come with living somewhere suitably pretentious and expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.