Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Spot the deference....

Spot the deference....

Old May 18th 2007, 5:14 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spot the deference....

Need some anecdotal evidence to settle an argument....

I go to restaurants and shops in Wellington with my wife, Mrs Avid. The staff are always friendly and chatty.....

but....

after a minute or two they spot our posh British accents and start behaving like the servants in 'Upstairs Downstairs'....suddenly it's "Yes Ma'am" "No Ma'am" "3 Short Blacks Ma'am"

Are New Zealanders more servile to Brits? Am I posher sounding than I realised? Is it all a dream?

All comments appreciated.
Old May 18th 2007, 5:19 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spot the deference....

Maybe they think you'll throw a few dollars their way.
What are 3 short blacks when they're at home?
Old May 18th 2007, 5:20 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Maybe they think you'll throw a few dollars their way.
What are 3 short blacks when they're at home?

Types of coffee.....long black, short black....both watered down espressos.

Long and short refers to size.
Old May 18th 2007, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid

I go to restaurants and shops in Wellington with my wife, Mrs Avid. The staff are always friendly and chatty.....

but....

after a minute or two they spot our posh British accents and start behaving like the servants in 'Upstairs Downstairs'....suddenly it's "Yes Ma'am" "No Ma'am" "3 Short Blacks Ma'am"

Are New Zealanders more servile to Brits? Am I posher sounding than I realised? Is it all a dream?

Are you sure *you're* not a former waiter?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zVEHqwLVvpI
Old May 18th 2007, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Are you sure *you're* not a former waiter?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zVEHqwLVvpI

Nice.......

We're the incredibly posh people who've somehow emigrated to New Zealand.....

I like it...
Old May 18th 2007, 7:39 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

but....

I think Biddy's right - I'm guessing they think you're tourists and will tip them.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
I think Biddy's right - I'm guessing they think you're tourists and will tip them.

Fair enough....but does that mean if I talk 'common' then people will think I have emigrated here and will talk normally to me?
Old May 18th 2007, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

but....

I am an avid complainer if people try to get one over on me, not a whinger mind, I think my new life in NZ is the dog's sphericals reproduction orbs.

Here in NZ I feel I have had far more success with my complaints about poor this and dodgy that complaints that I have made. I am not exactly posh but certainly have an unmistakable british accent. And when wound up I guess I may even sound somewhat haughty. Is it just excellent NZ customer entente cordial or are they being servile as I am a Pom? Hmmmmmm, very interesting!!

Sometimes I think all I have here in NZ is a dream..but its not you know. when not engrossed in 'Dom's world' my new life in NZ is as real as, well a real thing.

Anyone wanna buy a nice, immaculate, 1997, low k's, 8 seater, Toyota, auto, well appointed diesel turbo bus, moored in Palmy?

If you don't ask you don't get! I sold my house to someone walking past it before we came here..had I not approached them we would not be here..no other bugger was gonna but it!!!!
Old May 18th 2007, 9:19 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
I am an avid complainer
Clever (though maybe unintentionally?)!
Old May 18th 2007, 9:22 am
Account Closed

No, Avid, I just think it's the shotgun you're holding to their head.

I had the (almost) opposite experience in shops. They would be friendly (ish) when I walked in and when they heard my accent they'd get all huffy or say something like "ooh you're posh, aren't you" (with that long drawn-out "OOOOOHHH").
Old May 18th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Clever (though maybe unintentionally?)!
It was intentional, just didn't want to gloat over it. I am known for subtlety.
Old May 18th 2007, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Genesis
It was intentional, just didn't want to gloat over it. I am known for subtlety.
In that case, CLEVER
Old May 18th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mazi
In that case, CLEVER
Thank you. Are you and Mr Kiwi coming for that pizza?
Old May 18th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

but....

Gordon Bennett!

You really don't get it Avid.
They are just taking the p*ss.

I'm sure I would.

Kip
Old May 18th 2007, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Kippers
Gordon Bennett!

You really don't get it Avid.
They are just taking the p*ss.

I'm sure I would.

Kip
hmmm...I thought that at first...but I think I'm quick enough to spot 'piss-taking' from 'inferiority complex about the mother nation'

I'm thinking, thanks to this thread, that I must look 'touristy'....and that means they want to make a good impression on the visitor....

I'll wear a pair of...jandals...for a week and report back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.