British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A spot of daydreaming.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/spot-daydreaming-335094/)

JaneAS Nov 2nd 2005 7:32 pm

A spot of daydreaming....

OK. In an entirely hypothetical situation, if you could live anywhere in NZ (i.e. had the cash to buy anywhere outright), where would you want to live and why?

Just wondering where to look for, if I ever win the lottery...

JaneAS

Herm Nov 2nd 2005 8:32 pm

Re: A spot of daydreaming....

Originally Posted by JaneAS
OK. In an entirely hypothetical situation, if you could live anywhere in NZ (i.e. had the cash to buy anywhere outright), where would you want to live and why?

JaneAS

Maybe a cop out but I'd live exactly where I do which is Bay of Plenty - north of Tauranga. Might change the house though if I had unlimited funds.

Reasons - Climate is good and the sun shines a lot. Near enough to Tauranga and the Mount if bright lights needed. Far enough away from the madding crowds. Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Rotorua are all under a 2 hour drive. The beaches are excellent. The coromandel (which surely must be one of the most beutifull areas in the world - maybe another thread?) is only 45 minutes drive. The area generally is thriving and looks neat and tidy unlike some parts of NZ. Auckland airport is 1hr 45mins if you need to escape.

Cheers
Martin

livewire Nov 2nd 2005 9:04 pm

If I had to stay in NZ I'd live where I'm going to be living after Christmas, I might have a slightly bigger house built with a heated swimming pool though.

If I had that sort of money I'd also have a house somewhere much more exotic - maybe one of the Polynesian Islands - so that I would never have to experience winter again :)

turkeytickler Nov 3rd 2005 9:24 pm

JaneAS

for me, tbh - money no object... somewhere nice in the spanish sierra nevada - i wouldnt even come back here on holiday.... if it HAD to be NZ, maybe a vineyard in marlborough....

deedee Nov 4th 2005 12:05 am

If funds allowed, i'd blend the neighbours 40000 acres into ours and i could put a gate across the bottom of the road for good,but unfortunatly the 12 million bucks is not slopping around in my pocket.

southerner Nov 4th 2005 7:25 pm

One of:

- a 2 hectare block of bush looking along the Astrolabe above Split Apple Rock (Nelson region)
- somewhere in the Marlborough Sounds
- Nokomai or Cecil Peak stations (Central Otago)

Pompey_Paul Nov 4th 2005 7:28 pm

Bay of Islands.....on a large Yacht

deedee Nov 4th 2005 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by southerner
One of:

- a 2 hectare block of bush looking along the Astrolabe above Split Apple Rock (Nelson region)
- somewhere in the Marlborough Sounds
- Nokomai or Cecil Peak stations (Central Otago)

Sotherner, respect, you have genuine taste.Cecil peak would be beyond a dream. :cool:

Sega Mad Nov 5th 2005 1:46 am

Gosh!! If I had loads of money and was able to "call the shots" I think I would opt to live in Cloud Cuckoo Land. I have heard so many good reports! I know there are some who would treat the residents of Cloud Cuckoo Land with derision, but hey! They don't know what it's like do they?

Regards

ElizabethC Nov 5th 2005 3:58 am

JaneAS

I'd have a 35ft Beneteau and be based in the Marlborough Sounds. :)

Servant24kids Nov 5th 2005 4:08 am

Difficult question to answer as we all have different likes, dislikes and situations.

I suppose the best places must be where the most expensive property is - these properties have the best views and/or facilities nearby. Personally, we are happy with the Bay of Islands but would like holiday homes :D in the Coromandal, Abel Tasman (west of Nelson) and Queenstown areas.

:)

Gill and Rob Nov 5th 2005 6:36 am

JaneAS

Exactally where we are now !!!
This is where we chose to live in NZ. Don't think I'd go for a bigger house, there is enough cleaning to do in tis one.

Gill

Pompey_Paul Nov 5th 2005 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Sega Mad
Gosh!! If I had loads of money and was able to "call the shots" I think I would opt to live in Cloud Cuckoo Land. I have heard so many good reports! I know there are some who would treat the residents of Cloud Cuckoo Land with derision, but hey! They don't know what it's like do they?

Regards

Problem is Tony Blair and cronies already live there and get regular visits from George Bush................. :(

benultimate Nov 5th 2005 10:21 am

JaneAS

depends wot is you want..be sure you know...but i reckon tauranga in the bay of plenty would be hard to beat-lota sunshine, warm all year round..really beautiful white sand beaches..apparently nz's fast growing city..its a really neat place close to the mint coromandel..hr or so from auckland...we'll move there when return to nz...someday!

Sega Mad Nov 5th 2005 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Problem is Tony Blair and cronies already live there and get regular visits from George Bush................. :(

Yep! LMAO!

Theres always someone to spoil it all. That does it! I'm gonna pack my bags and go off to "fools paradise". Oh!!! wait a minute! I'm already there :D :D