British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Sponsoring the parents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sponsoring-parents-508616/)

P18PPS Jan 23rd 2008 9:32 pm

Sponsoring the parents

We've been out here two and a half years (in our 30s with 3 kids), my father has visited 3 times and has decided he wants to retire out here (he'd like to be out here within the next 3 years). I've investigated so far and found out that I can sponsor him once we've been here 3 years (this September), has anyone else had a similar experience and how likely do NZ accept oldies coming out to join you? He's 65 this year, very fit and active and in good health, financially secure.

His other alternatives are to come and go every 6 months as a visitor - but I guess longer term it would be better for him to have residency. Has anyone else brought over parents and how long did the process take? advice? experiences etc.

Thanks
Sam

BEVS Jan 23rd 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Sponsoring the parents

Does he have any other family in the UK ?

per NZIS

# have no dependent children and all of your adult children are lawfully and permanently outside the country in which you are lawfully and permanently, or the centre of gravity of your family is in New Zealand.

# have the “centre of gravity” of your family in New Zealand.

P18PPS Jan 23rd 2008 9:56 pm

Ohh yes, 2 ex-wives, 3 daughters and a few mistresses!!!

Seriously 2 girls who are 8 and 13 (who will stay with their mum) and another daughter who is grown up and livng in Ireland.

The plan was just to apply for residency for my father and I would sponsor him, then in a few years if the 2 younger girls wanted to come over we could look at sponsoring them separately. The grown up daughter could apply herself under skilled migrant and probably get in independently.

ned Jan 23rd 2008 10:01 pm

put me down for a quid :confused:

dlmckay Jan 23rd 2008 10:20 pm

If he has four children, one of which (you) lives in NZ and two who live in the UK, then he won't be able to be sponsored until there are at least two children resident in the UK.

We're just in the process of doing this for my in-laws...

P18PPS Jan 23rd 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by dlmckay (Post 5830690)
If he has four children, one of which (you) lives in NZ and two who live in the UK, then he won't be able to be sponsored until there are at least two children resident in the UK.

We're just in the process of doing this for my in-laws...

Sorry I'm a bit confused.. do you mean two living in NZ or UK? And is it the same as it's just him - he essentially is a singleton.

BEVS Jan 23rd 2008 11:25 pm

I think NZ was meant. Not UK.
His 'centre of gravity', meaning his adult offspring should be in NZ for his 'centre of gravity' to be NZ. dlmackay can correct this if it is wrong.

Also, I'm not sure how he would stand with his current dependent children.

P18PPS Jan 24th 2008 1:50 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5831055)
I think NZ was meant. Not UK.
His 'centre of gravity', meaning his adult offspring should be in NZ for his 'centre of gravity' to be NZ. dlmackay can correct this if it is wrong.

Also, I'm not sure how he would stand with his current dependent children.

Thanks, I think my initial 2 day investigations need to be extended! With one adult child and 3 grandchildren in NZ, one adult child in Ireland and 2 dependent children in UK it's probably going to be a bit more complicated than I first thought. I based my assumption he'd be ok to be sponsored on our duration out here (3 years) and the fact that we'd have sufficient funds to support him (as per the figure NZIS provided me with), along with the fact he'll be self-sufficent and not a drain on NZ.

Maybe he'll have to be a 6 monthly visitor instead with his second home out here.

BEVS Jan 24th 2008 1:59 am

The guy that really understands this centre of gravity thing is JAJ. Perhaps PM him.