British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Sponsor (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sponsor-519077/)

markraynes Mar 4th 2008 1:25 pm

Sponsor

What does it mean when you get your employer to sponsor you.
What does it mean for me and my employer.
And are companys likely to do it before start work, or see how i work first

gina and danny Mar 4th 2008 1:55 pm

Re: Sponsor

i have heard of sponsorship for australia but not nz, i think you may mean the way that you get a job offer then the employer has to show that no nz can fill the post, i think the job also has to be on a shortage list. i also think that you may have to go over and show them what you can do , as that is what danny did. then they know your serious as it costs them a lot of money,
your best bet would be to arrange some interviews over there go over and test the water and then you will also know what your letting yourself in for!
expensive i know but fail to plan plan to fail and all that. it would save you alot of money if you went on your own.

someone else with more helpful info will probably be along shortly.

squiddley Mar 4th 2008 3:58 pm

Hi,
Im also going on wtr visa,i got a job offer after telephone interview.The company that i will be working for filled in a NZIS 1113 (Employer Supplementry Form- Work Permit/Visa Application) which basically states that they cannot employ locally and have to look overseas.
I shall submitting this form with my visa application...

Hope this helps
Regards
Squiddley:thumbup:

markraynes Mar 4th 2008 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by squiddley (Post 6016287)
Hi,
Im also going on wtr visa,i got a job offer after telephone interview.The company that i will be working for filled in a NZIS 1113 (Employer Supplementry Form- Work Permit/Visa Application) which basically states that they cannot employ locally and have to look overseas.
I shall submitting this form with my visa application...

Hope this helps
Regards
Squiddley:thumbup:

0k thanks

happynz Mar 4th 2008 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by markraynes (Post 6015661)
What does it mean when you get your employer to sponsor you.
What does it mean for me and my employer.
And are companys likely to do it before start work, or see how i work first

Hi Mark,

Your employer acts as your 'sponsor' in the sense that he/she is offering you employment allowing you to apply for the relevant permit. What it means for you is that you are obligated to work for the employer that made you the job offer as your work permit is 'tied' to said employer.

As for your last question - companies cannot legally put you to work and you cannot start work until you have a work permit, work-to-residency permit or residence permit. There are no 'trial runs.' Having said all that, if say your partner gets sponsored that would qualify you as her dependent and you would have an open work permit valid the same length as her 'tied' permit and you would be able to work for whomever at whatever or choose not to work at all. Of course, the same vice-versa with you holding the 'tied' permit.

Good luck.