British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   split loyalties (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/split-loyalties-661034/)

deb_steve Mar 24th 2010 9:24 pm

split loyalties

Just got tickets for The All Blacks v Ireland Rubgy game on the 12 June in my wonderful New Plymouth. Then emailed my lads back in the UK to brag as they are mad rugby fans and would love to see the game.

Each one came back saying they were sick they could not be here and then they asked who we will be supporting. My hubby straight away said NZ but as much as I love my new home and NEVER want to back to the UK I am split.

I must point out that we are not Irish but do love Ireland and have great admiraton for O'Gara and O'Driscoll as players. It feels really strange loving the place and the people where you live yet havin your roots and history in another place. God knows how we will feel like when England play NZ.

Just thought I would share that with you :confused:

Him and Me Mar 25th 2010 8:01 am

Re: split loyalties

Home is were the heart is!!! We support the All Blacks when the Lions arent playing but if they are then its the lions all the way....even thou my hubby is a Kiwi :p:rofl:

teeym Mar 25th 2010 11:05 am

As a proud Englishman, I have a strict set of criteria for who to support in international rugby, ranked in order of priority:

1) England
2) The Lions
3) Anyone who is playing Scotland, Wales or Ireland
4) Anyone who is playing France
5) Anyone who is playing Australia
6) The underdog

I find that this covers all eventualities, although this will be modified to a list of seven criteria with "New Zealand" at number 3) should they be nice enough to let us come and live in their country.

And, yes, I know I've not mentioned the Baa-Baa's, but I don't count them as an international side in the true sense of the word.

Stormer999 Mar 25th 2010 1:39 pm

Being a Welshman.....
1 Wales
2 The Lions (very very few English ever make the grade!)
3 Anyone who is playing against England (as will be all the Scotsmen and Irishmen)
4 NZ when I get in.
;)

CPN Mar 25th 2010 1:56 pm

Wolverhampton, regardless of where I am.

teeym Mar 25th 2010 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 8447880)
Being a Welshman.....
1 Wales
2 The Lions (very very few English ever make the grade!)
3 Anyone who is playing against England (as will be all the Scotsmen and Irishmen)
4 NZ when I get in.
;)

Exactly the way it should be! I honestly am completely mystified by people who support the other "home" countries. The friendly-ish bragging rights and competitive streak that marks rugby out are completely ruined by people who see fit to support another country just because they are close by. You can't imagine the Aussie's and Kiwi's doing likewise!

I for one always feel my life is poorer if (when) England get beaten and there isn't a well-meaning Taff or Sweat on hand to point out in glorious, technicolour detail the full extent of our deficiencies. :thumbup:

Needless to say, I always feel it's my job - actually, make that "duty" - to return the favour; particularly at World Cup time when they thoughtfully and reliably provide such rich pickings. ;)

The boys in white will - once again - come good when it matters, I have the utmost faith*.

*as long as we get rid of Borthwick, keep Flood in, ensure Foden is fit, bring Sheridan back, find a decent scrum half, get a dedicated number 8 who isn't a puddin', remind Geraghty he is a 12 and make sure France, NZ and the Saffers contract food poisoning just before the tournament starts

Him and Me Mar 25th 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPN (Post 8447942)
Wolverhampton, regardless of where I am.

I'm a Wolves lass:thumbup: and always will be, no shaking off this accent is there :thumbsup:

BigStuey Mar 26th 2010 3:57 am

As an ex-Englishman I used to support England. But now All Blacks and All Whites all the way. All Whites especially as the England football team have enough supporters but the All Whites can always do with some more.
This means I watched my team dumped out of the Rugby world cups in the quarter and semi final stages last 2x times only to watch England in the finals as a neutral. Luckily the All Whites and England have about much chance of winning the FIFA World Cup as each other, ie none.
If you're not going to join in and remain stuck in the past and support the old countries why come for a new life at all? You have to move on, take stock and become part of the fabric of the country you do live in. We only have 4 million kiwi's here (probably another 1 million in the diaspra) so you should get behind New Zealand as we need as many voices as we can get.

teeym Mar 26th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by BigStuey (Post 8449830)
If you're not going to join in and remain stuck in the past and support the old countries why come for a new life at all? You have to move on, take stock and become part of the fabric of the country you do live in. We only have 4 million kiwi's here (probably another 1 million in the diaspra) so you should get behind New Zealand as we need as many voices as we can get.

To your first question - because I'm English! I know people have varying degrees of attachment to their countries and for the most part I can take it or leave it. However, the day I truly stop hoping that one day there will be a chance for me to pull on the white jersey and run out at Twickenham will be the day they are nailing the lid down.

I've lived and worked in many countries and without fail have thrown myself headlong into the life and culture, but sorry, I'm not abandoning my rugby beliefs! And in a rugby-centric country like NZ, I reckon they'll at least tolerate that. You should have heard the discussions that my Leicester shirt started over there - the pros and cons of the likes of Gibson, Hamilton and Newby can drag on for hours!!!

Besides, from the NZ fans and players I've had the priviledge of knowing and playing with to date, I reckon most of them would much rather have a Pom to rip it out of when we come badly unstuck in 2011. :rofl:

Besides, if anyone complains, I'll just say I'm supporting Flutey and Hape. :thumbup: