British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/spilt-wine-my-laptop-what-do-448885/)

Wiz'n'Ton May 9th 2007 10:42 pm

Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Last night I was writing up some blog stuff whilst enjoying a glass of cab sav, when - clumsy bastard that I am - I managed to spill around half of it onto the laptop keyboard. :ohmy:

Ooops :thumbdown:

It still works <phew!>, but now when I turn it on it makes a long drawn out beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and Toni then found that a few of the keys don't work - backspace and the number 2 keys specifically.

Have I borked it? Can I rescue it? I have less clue about 'puters than I do about women. And Toni'll tell you - that ain't much ;)

Please, all BE I.T. guru's - Help!

Jack The Lad May 9th 2007 10:49 pm

Re: Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Lick it off. The wine will be fine its only a day old :thumbup:

Dunno about the laptop though :rofl:

PaulGent May 9th 2007 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4758969)
Last night I was writing up some blog stuff whilst enjoying a glass of cab sav, when - clumsy bastard that I am - I managed to spill around half of it onto the laptop keyboard. :ohmy:

It still works <phew!>, but now when I turn it on it makes a long drawn out beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and Toni then found that a few of the keys don't work - backspace and the number 2 keys specifically.

Have I borked it? Can I rescue it? I have less clue about 'puters than I do about women. And Toni'll tell you - that ain't much ;)

My advice would have been to not turn it on until you get the keyboard dried out by a PC geek. Too late for that now though.
I would take it along to a repairer and get them to strip down the keyboard and clean it up for you. Should be fine then.
Bets of luck

Wiz'n'Ton May 9th 2007 11:47 pm

Cheers Paul. I turned it off straight away, mopped up (and licked off, cheers Jack ;) ) the wine, then left it overnight.

Just tried it before I came to work this a.m. and it's not very happy. Time to get a PC geek involved - but where do I find one of them?

Any ChCh'ians know of a decent chappy? Hell, who am I kidding, I wouldn't know if they were decent or not, so just a chappy would do fine! :)

nzer57 May 10th 2007 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4759140)
Cheers Paul. I turned it off straight away, mopped up (and licked off, cheers Jack ;) ) the wine, then left it overnight.

Just tried it before I came to work this a.m. and it's not very happy. Time to get a PC geek involved - but where do I find one of them?

Any ChCh'ians know of a decent chappy? Hell, who am I kidding, I wouldn't know if they were decent or not, so just a chappy would do fine! :)

Keyboards are usually sealed away from the internals. Sticky keys is the residue from the wine and the long beep is probably due to that as well as it boots up. I think you'll find that the keys just pop off as per all keyboards. They get cluttered with all sorts of filth over time and need a regular clean

The only concern is if any liquid tracked into one of your ports,dvd drive bay etc so I wouldn't be too keen on plugging any peripherals into it until I'd had a real good peep at the terminals. Last thing you want is to short something then you're in real grief.

Wiz'n'Ton May 10th 2007 2:22 am

Nice one nzer57 - I'll check it out tonight.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

karonious May 10th 2007 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4759465)

Don't know that 'Cheers' is the best word given the situation! :rofl:

southerner May 10th 2007 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4758991)
Lick it off. The wine will be fine its only a day old :thumbup:

Dunno about the laptop though :rofl:

use a straw, and squash the end to get it betwen the keys.....:blink:

PaulGent May 10th 2007 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4759465)

Hi there.

Try Need a Nerd. Aparently they're pretty good and they come to your house. Worth a call.... http://www.needanerd.co.nz/

Good luck,
Paul

Jerseygirl May 10th 2007 4:18 am

I am so pleased someone else does this...although I usually spill Grand Marnier over mine.

My latest 'accident'...I tried to clean the laptop screen with a wet cloth. Now I've got stains behind the screen. :o

Wiz'n'Ton May 10th 2007 4:21 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 4759481)

Well, what else is there to say to that except:

:thumbsup: 'GENIUS' :thumbsup:

Apple Tree May 10th 2007 4:37 am

This happened to us!! yes it is a sealed unit, we have an acer, new keyboard $99 straight from acer, $20 to be fitted. Leave it in the airing cupboard.

shell and mark May 10th 2007 6:28 am

wiz
In the short term you could get an external keyboard and plug that in if your confident no liquid went into the internals.
should only cost a few dollars wont it :thumbsup:

regards
shell and mark

Jack The Lad May 10th 2007 6:39 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 4759481)

Thats very good advice Southerner :thumbsup:

dreamfish May 10th 2007 6:42 am

cotton wool bud and some lighter fluid
dip bud into some fluid
prise off each key (one at time) and clean underneath it and on the pad itself
replace key - move onto next one
make sure switched off too!