Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Old May 10th 2007, 6:48 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Originally Posted by dreamfish
cotton wool bud and some lighter fluid
dip bud into some fluid
prise off each key (one at time) and clean underneath it and on the pad itself
replace key - move onto next one
make sure switched off too!
What if he's a fast typer?

We would want him to spontaniously combust would we

Old May 10th 2007, 6:52 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Old May 10th 2007, 11:57 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
This happened to us!! yes it is a sealed unit, we have an acer, new keyboard $99 straight from acer, $20 to be fitted. Leave it in the airing cupboard.
Ale tree [ I love you We have an acer and as you can see [[[[[[[[[[[[[ [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[la all sorts f keys are fdoing all sorts of weird things and I have no return, no backsace and no well I cat tell you what I dot have as I dot have it but am sure you can read between the letter Can I really take these keys off"€
Old May 10th 2007, 12:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Ale tree [ I love you We have an acer and as you can see [[[[[[[[[[[[[ [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[la all sorts f keys are fdoing all sorts of weird things and I have no return, no backsace and no well I cat tell you what I dot have as I dot have it but am sure you can read between the letter Can I really take these keys off"€
That's exactly what happened to me....plus everytime I switched it on an alarm buzzer came on. The keys are sticking...I tried to clean under the keys without removing them with a damp tissue...pushed in by a thin knife. It freed many of the keys...after a few weeks it was more or less back to normal.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

You have to take the keys right off, one by one. You can clean with isopropyl alcohol and even aftershave. DOnt use nail polish remover as this tends to eat plastic.

Might help with the wine smell. At worst it will stink of wine and aftershave.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

my advice would be to buy a babies non spill cup like those 'avent' ones, and put your drink in that. No more spillages just a man looking like a tw*t, but then thats not unusual as this comes naturally.
Old May 10th 2007, 3:59 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Do an internet search as there are loads of things you can do. Some say you can clean it with distilled water then dry it off. But you have to take the whole thing apart. If you are not comfortable with this then take it to a shop or repair centre. But this may be expensive. Personally i would take it apart and clean it very carefully. I have built several PCs (but don't claim to be an expert) so it would not scare me. Laptops are a bit different to desktops though. I think it may be ok and not too much damage. Take the bettery out untill you get it fixed. Good luck.
Old May 10th 2007, 9:58 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the suck and lick technique (maybe that Toni is better qualified?) - plus that way you don't waste any.
Old May 10th 2007, 10:03 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I agree with the suck and lick technique (maybe that Toni is better qualified?) - plus that way you don't waste any.

Filthy woman!!!

Do you mind I'm eating my breakfast ( most of which is now on the laptop screen!!)
Old May 10th 2007, 10:16 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Filthy woman!!!

Do you mind I'm eating my breakfast ( most of which is now on the laptop screen!!)
Hello mate - glad to see you're ok, good here isn't it?!

I'm still surfing in Starbucks, still looking for a house! Off to office now to sort out a few things for next week.

Stay in touch.XXX
Old May 11th 2007, 2:39 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet is to open a new bottle. Sod the computer.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:11 am
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of

are you sure this isnt just the drink typing
Old May 12th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

I had to read this becuase I poured most of a beer over my laptop. i contiued using it to get some print outs done then, switched it off and then removed the sticky keys (all of them) and cleaned but the beer had gone in deeper . So I poured distilled water over it and then left it to dry for a long while. I turned it on and one red LED came on, then off.:curse:
It was under warranty and the repair guy pohoned to say the motherboard was blown, and obsolete. So they dropped a new upgrade in but wanted a chat when I picked it up. They inssited I see the board which had components that had exploded, and white stains all over it. They asked if it had been near the sea, or in the sea as they had never seen one so badly trashed . Google or in your case DDooooodle the PC type and find a repair site which will tell how to strip it down, thats what i did with the replacement happened to.
The really funny part was that they told me water poured out of the harddrive but it still works
Old May 13th 2007, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Originally Posted by sa2oz
The really funny part was that they told me water poured out of the harddrive but it still works

Bloody hell you must have drowned it!!
Old May 13th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nzer57
Bloody hell you must have drowned it!!
I did drown it, because a long time later I added more memory to the unit and there were still drops of water on and around the hard disk. I believe it was pensioned off recently as it was to old and slow.
I have still been laughing since reading your post, as it took me straight back to my incident. No more liquids near laptops or keyboards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.