Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Old May 9th 2007, 10:42 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Last night I was writing up some blog stuff whilst enjoying a glass of cab sav, when - clumsy bastard that I am - I managed to spill around half of it onto the laptop keyboard.

Ooops

It still works <phew!>, but now when I turn it on it makes a long drawn out beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and Toni then found that a few of the keys don't work - backspace and the number 2 keys specifically.

Have I borked it? Can I rescue it? I have less clue about 'puters than I do about women. And Toni'll tell you - that ain't much

Please, all BE I.T. guru's - Help!
Old May 9th 2007, 10:49 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spilt Wine on My Laptop - What to do?!

Lick it off. The wine will be fine its only a day old

Dunno about the laptop though
Old May 9th 2007, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Last night I was writing up some blog stuff whilst enjoying a glass of cab sav, when - clumsy bastard that I am - I managed to spill around half of it onto the laptop keyboard.

Ooops

It still works <phew!>, but now when I turn it on it makes a long drawn out beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, and Toni then found that a few of the keys don't work - backspace and the number 2 keys specifically.

Have I borked it? Can I rescue it? I have less clue about 'puters than I do about women. And Toni'll tell you - that ain't much

My advice would have been to not turn it on until you get the keyboard dried out by a PC geek. Too late for that now though.
I would take it along to a repairer and get them to strip down the keyboard and clean it up for you. Should be fine then.
Bets of luck
Old May 9th 2007, 11:47 pm

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Paul. I turned it off straight away, mopped up (and licked off, cheers Jack ) the wine, then left it overnight.

Just tried it before I came to work this a.m. and it's not very happy. Time to get a PC geek involved - but where do I find one of them?

Any ChCh'ians know of a decent chappy? Hell, who am I kidding, I wouldn't know if they were decent or not, so just a chappy would do fine!
Old May 10th 2007, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Cheers Paul. I turned it off straight away, mopped up (and licked off, cheers Jack ) the wine, then left it overnight.

Just tried it before I came to work this a.m. and it's not very happy. Time to get a PC geek involved - but where do I find one of them?

Any ChCh'ians know of a decent chappy? Hell, who am I kidding, I wouldn't know if they were decent or not, so just a chappy would do fine!
Keyboards are usually sealed away from the internals. Sticky keys is the residue from the wine and the long beep is probably due to that as well as it boots up. I think you'll find that the keys just pop off as per all keyboards. They get cluttered with all sorts of filth over time and need a regular clean

The only concern is if any liquid tracked into one of your ports,dvd drive bay etc so I wouldn't be too keen on plugging any peripherals into it until I'd had a real good peep at the terminals. Last thing you want is to short something then you're in real grief.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:22 am

Nice one nzer57 - I'll check it out tonight.

Cheers!
Old May 10th 2007, 2:25 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!
Don't know that 'Cheers' is the best word given the situation!
Old May 10th 2007, 2:34 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Lick it off. The wine will be fine its only a day old

Dunno about the laptop though

use a straw, and squash the end to get it betwen the keys.....
Old May 10th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Cheers!
Hi there.

Try Need a Nerd. Aparently they're pretty good and they come to your house. Worth a call.... http://www.needanerd.co.nz/

Good luck,
Paul
Old May 10th 2007, 4:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ooops

I am so pleased someone else does this...although I usually spill Grand Marnier over mine.

My latest 'accident'...I tried to clean the laptop screen with a wet cloth. Now I've got stains behind the screen.
Old May 10th 2007, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by southerner
Well, what else is there to say to that except:

'GENIUS'
Old May 10th 2007, 4:37 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

This happened to us!! yes it is a sealed unit, we have an acer, new keyboard $99 straight from acer, $20 to be fitted. Leave it in the airing cupboard.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

shell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant futureshell and mark has a brilliant future

wiz
In the short term you could get an external keyboard and plug that in if your confident no liquid went into the internals.
should only cost a few dollars wont it

regards
shell and mark
Old May 10th 2007, 6:39 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Thats very good advice Southerner
Old May 10th 2007, 6:42 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooops

cotton wool bud and some lighter fluid
dip bud into some fluid
prise off each key (one at time) and clean underneath it and on the pad itself
replace key - move onto next one
make sure switched off too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.