Spiders!!!

Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Spiders!!!

Originally Posted by Tranmere Rover
I was bitten by a white-trail, and I'm still here. I know it was a white trail because I captured it. I was wearing swimming shorts (so I was "commando") and sat on it. Then I stood up again rather quickly on account of a nasty stinging pain on me nads. Old whitey was still on the chair, so retribution was swift and terrible. As was the pain on me nads.

But I survived.

Like the sound of having Tranmere Towers sprayed though - all the cobwebs drive me mental!!!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was bitten by a white-trail, and I'm still here. I know it was a white trail because I captured it. I was wearing swimming shorts (so I was "commando") and sat on it. Then I stood up again rather quickly on account of a nasty stinging pain on me nads. Old whitey was still on the chair, so retribution was swift and terrible. As was the pain on me nads.

But I survived.

Like the sound of having Tranmere Towers sprayed though - all the cobwebs drive me mental!!!
Originally Posted by BEVS
Double and a to boot!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:44 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

But I survived.

Ouch!!
Apparently huhu bugs will bite too

We get the odd white tail in the house despite having one of those auto bug spray thingies. I always find them under rugs or under duvets on the spare bed!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:45 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a Katipo or more likely a False Katipo (or maybe a Redback - but not supposed to be in Wellington) in my garage yesterday.

I took a couple of photo's on the drive but they aren't too clear (I'll post later). When I tried to coax it onto a piece of paper to get a better shot..I accidentally squished it with some cardboard ....don't tell DOC if it was a Katipo
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got a photo of a white tail....I need to see how big these suckers are! Coming from the deep south I have never seen one!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Anyone got a photo of a white tail....I need to see how big these suckers are! Coming from the deep south I have never seen one!
They are not that big BUT distinctive with a cigar shaped abdomen with a white tip....hence the name.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:54 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Not the best photo but here you go:

Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

they are about the size of a 50cent piece
Attached Thumbnails Spiders!!!-whitetail.jpg  
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Not the best photo but here you go:

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...e/DSCF0143.jpg
Ewwwwwww
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:16 pm
Happy in Wellington

Ewwwwwww
If that makes you go "eww" I have to share my tunnelweb photo:

Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I was kinda hoping you'd do that.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobClubley
F****** Hell - is that real....I should not have looked at that...I will now be having nightmares about spiders. Was that in Welly?

Amazing photo btw!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:53 pm
Happy in Wellington

F****** Hell - is that real....I should not have looked at that...I will now be having nightmares about spiders. Was that in Welly?

Amazing photo btw!
Yes it's a Tunnelweb - there are hundreds of them in our garden.
They get reasonably big - about 60mm maybe for a fully grown one.
http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/researchat...tunnelweb.aspx
But they're not poisonous. See in the photo above the green thing on the left is my fingertip in my gloves so it's not that big
They will apparently bite if you handle and annoy them but they generally just want to get out of your way when disturbed.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:49 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know what kind of spider lives in the protective cocoon like webs that get woven around the tips of gorse branches?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:15 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm

Most people living in the UK do not know what spiders we have ourselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.