spiders !

Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough
Default spiders !

Sitting quietly on the sofa the other night when Nicola suddenly jumps up saying - there's one of those things on your arm. What things says I, idly looking down and came face to face with a white tailed spider !

Just like the descriptions - size of a new ten cent piece, cigar shaped body, and lovely white spot on the end.

Anyway as it headed for my neck I ran outside and shook it off, where upon it wandered off into the undergrowth before I could get a photo.

Already felt a few small earthquakes, now spiders, so just need to see a volcano going up and my life will be complete !

peter
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spiders !

Yes, I have seen a few of those in our last house.... not seen any here yet but give it time! I think I just flicked the thing outside whereas my OH will stamp on them.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

We've just moved into our rental in Timaru and in the morning after the first night the wife said there was a spider in our bedroom and asked for me to come and remove it, the kids were all excited to examine this strange new spider that I informed them was a white tip. Strange thing was, that first night sleeping on a air bed, I was sure I was woken by a biting sensation and for the rest of that night didn't sleep very well, not from being bitten but, I felt really itchy all over...........

Guess I'll never know if it was the spider that bit me but having not had the feeling since or before, who knows.

We haven't seen one since, just in case this worries anyone. But then we've only been here a week, and loving it. Been in New Zealand for just over 3 weeks now, wow that's gone quick.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty
We haven't seen one since, just in case this worries anyone. But then we've only been here a week, and loving it. Been in New Zealand for just over 3 weeks now, wow that's gone quick.
I bet it has!! We've been here 15 months now and I can hardly believe how time flies!! Any culture shock yet?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Nice white tails...........

I saw the biggest mf of white tails about 2 months ago.

I had noticed that there were not so many spiders in the lounge as normal, in our house we have a tendency to leave spiders alone as we feel they do a good job keeping the less desirable insects at bay.

Then I saw the reason why no spiders, a white tail the size of a Shetland pony creeping gingerly up the wall.

White tails have a tendency to munch on other spiders and it is a tell tail (pun!) sign you have white tails when you have no other spiders in the house.

I caught the little so and so and released it out side.

Ahhhhhhhhh I feel so………..human!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice white tails...........

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I saw the biggest mf of white tails about 2 months ago.

I had noticed that there were not so many spiders in the lounge as normal, in our house we have a tendency to leave spiders alone as we feel they do a good job keeping the less desirable insects at bay.

Then I saw the reason why no spiders, a white tail the size of a Shetland pony creeping gingerly up the wall.

White tails have a tendency to munch on other spiders and it is a tell tail (pun!) sign you have white tails when you have no other spiders in the house.

I caught the little so and so and released it out side.

Ahhhhhhhhh I feel so………..human!
I released the one we found, but was then told by one of the locals that they are an aussie native that didn't belong here and as NG said they eat the native NZ spiders and should be killed immediately.

Lets hope the locals haven't got anything against the English.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice white tails...........

I released the one we found, but was then told by one of the locals that they are an aussie native that didn't belong here and as NG said they eat the native NZ spiders and should be killed immediately.

Lets hope the locals haven't got anything against the English.

What you need to do is invest in a microscope and some tiny scissors and bandages,and then procede to cut the buggers bollock* off!!
Only messing,love em,nurture them,give them big hugs!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

sparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nicesparkywater is just really nice

What is it about white tips are they poisonous?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sparkywater
What is it about white tips are they poisonous?

http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/re...white_tail.asp

Yes - seems they can give you a nasty nip if you annoy them. Has been some hype in the papers a while back about "necrotising arachnidism" but seems pretty much unsubstantated.( Danny F might be able to use it on the ward though )

Do like the bit in above report about how they hide in your clothes during the day, if you leave them lying on the floor - must tell my teenage sons that !

And funnily enough as Nice Guy said I haven't seen any other spiders around for a while inside.

peter
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Wife has just read the above thread she is getting a bit tetchy and does not want to know anything else. The stressed look on her face does not bode well.
How is the spider population in South Island is it just as bad or can you put her mind at rest . Cheersz
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Don't worry..........be happy!

Apparently as they munch on other spiders so they absorb the other spiders toxins, so their bite is not poisonous as such but more dirty.

I’ve been in NZ for 5 years and have only seen two, one in a GP’s surgery and the other in my house.

Tell your wife no to worry it is not a major!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

..... that I informed them was a white tip. Strange thing was, that first night sleeping on a air bed, I was sure I was woken by a biting sensation and for the rest of that night didn't sleep very well, not from being bitten but, I felt really itchy all over...........
Blimey Planty, you had a reef shark in your bedroom! No wonder you didn't sleep well!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I have seen a few of them about. My 15 yr old daughter was bitten by one, she had a bump for a few days and said it was very itchy but she was more upset that it was a spider that bit her.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 6:17 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

The white tail gets quite a lot of bad press - unjustly I reckon - I've not seen one in 12 months - despite the kids having seen millions (yeah right). They really aren't that common and at worst are going to give you a nasty nip that you may react to.

Bloody Aussie immegrants!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:51 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

We've just moved into our rental in Timaru and in the morning after the first night the wife said there was a spider in our bedroom and asked for me to come and remove it, the kids were all excited to examine this strange new spider that I informed them was a white tip. Strange thing was, that first night sleeping on a air bed, I was sure I was woken by a biting sensation and for the rest of that night didn't sleep very well, not from being bitten but, I felt really itchy all over...........

Guess I'll never know if it was the spider that bit me but having not had the feeling since or before, who knows.

Hi Planty,
How do you rate Timaru. Thats where we want to be heading., at least live in Geraldine. Whats the area like for general ease of living. we visited in may and loved it but not actually come across anyone who's migrated there.
What do you do for a living , I need to find myself something as its the OH who has the quals. Probably in agriculture or outdoorsy sort of thing/animals. keep the spider thing under your hat, she thinks theres no crawlies in NZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.