British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Spiders *eek* (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/spiders-%2Aeek%2A-539582/)

claire.cornell May 28th 2008 8:23 pm

Spiders *eek*

Lol my other half is a big baby when it comes to spiders. Do you see them very often in NZ and are they huge? even if the answer is yes to both questions, what he doesn't know wont hurt him :eek:

RobClubley May 28th 2008 8:28 pm

Re: Spiders *eek*

See here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=creepy

(with pics from page 2 :) )

chippy64 May 28th 2008 8:44 pm

When we went out in August, never saw one, thank goodness! Maybe because it was winter though?

RobClubley May 28th 2008 8:51 pm

They're not that common really. Though the wife did find a fully-grown white tail in the ironing pile last week :blink:

irnbru14 May 28th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by claire.cornell (Post 6406381)
Lol my other half is a big baby when it comes to spiders. Do you see them very often in NZ and are they huge? even if the answer is yes to both questions, what he doesn't know wont hurt him :eek:

Still haven't seen anything here that the phone book (or if I can't reach, the vacuum cleaner!) won't deal with...cockroaches on the other hand :eek:

UKNZAUS May 28th 2008 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 6406511)
They're not that common really. Though the wife did find a fully-grown white tail in the ironing pile last week :blink:

How big is fully grown? :unsure: The biggest I have seen is about the size of a $2 coin - should I be worried? I don't release the white tails neither, stampety stamp :lol:

RobClubley May 28th 2008 10:46 pm

About that.
Biggest I've seen had a body about 25mm long.
They always get stomped.
Don't want 'em biting the cats or dog! Or us :)

UKNZAUS May 28th 2008 10:54 pm

Oh thats ok then.. phew! I thought you were going to say saucer sized :ohmy: :rofl:

garryhg May 28th 2008 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by claire.cornell (Post 6406381)

Hi there Claire,been a year and had 2 whitetails in the house,but they crush just as easy as any other spiders:lol:
not that scary really...when are you planning on moving to NZ...we are from your neck of the woods...we are from Tayport...how is bonnie Scotland?...Jacky

SarahB May 29th 2008 1:38 am

Some of the whitetails are quite large and make a very satisfying splat noise when you stamp on them. We've come across a few in our house.... but nothing to worry yourself about. :)

yorkshire girl May 29th 2008 2:09 am

Just a top tip someone told me,White tails are usually found in pairs so if you find one look for its friend.More than often if I find one in the room its buddy isn't too far away-Sorry to all the people that have just killled one and are now wondering where the other one got too!:p

claire.cornell May 29th 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 6406886)
Hi there Claire,been a year and had 2 whitetails in the house,but they crush just as easy as any other spiders:lol:
not that scary really...when are you planning on moving to NZ...we are from your neck of the woods...we are from Tayport...how is bonnie Scotland?...Jacky

Small world, my other half is from newport! Scotland is pretty much the same as always - Unpleasant weather, full of minks and house prices we can't afford! We can't wait to leave but it wont be until August next year :unsure:

Possum Chaser May 29th 2008 8:58 am

Originally Posted by yorkshire girl (Post 6407225)
Just a top tip someone told me,White tails are usually found in pairs so if you find one look for its friend.More than often if I find one in the room its buddy isn't too far away-Sorry to all the people that have just killled one and are now wondering where the other one got too!:p

Also white tails feed on other more harmless spiders, so if you get rid of all spiders from your home (as best you can) less chance of getting white tails
also a bit more info on NZ spiders here:
http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/TePapa/Eng...idersWeb/What/

MandyB May 30th 2008 2:11 am

Spiders are not too bad here, been here 2.5 years and seen two fully grown adult whitetails (the big black version you see in pictures), bit nasty looking (and yes we killed one and sure enough the other turned up soon after) but since then only come across one or two baby ones.

Lots of the daddy long leg type (harmless) in the summer, and what i believe are either wolf or garden spiders, also harmless and leg-it if you go anywhere near them. Other than that its mostly outside the house that i find them to be a pest (orb spiders i believe, though i could be completely wrong) - building webs across my clothes line, but they mostly come out a night and are also harmless. Absolutely nothing like spiders in ozzy so no worries - i HATE HATE HATE spiders but i manage just fine:thumbsup:

howden40 Jun 1st 2008 7:22 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 6406511)

:huh:Sorry, what on earth is a white tail, what does it look like and where do you most commonly find them,