Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Speedway Night Out

Speedway Night Out

Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:43 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speedway Night Out

Seriously, if you haven't been ... get yourself down to your nearest speedway track the next time they have a race night.

We went on saturday night, which conveniently coincided with youngest turning 5 and a fireworks display.

There were 2 adults + 5 kids (well 4 as we said youngest was under 5 - which technically she was when we went in!) and it cost us a family ticket of $45. This was about 2 1/2 hours of racing and then about 20 minutes of spectacular fireworks. Best value for money family night out we have had here - well probably anywhere!

It was so sad as I was on the edge of my seat for many of the races. We seemed to have sat in the best possible place for crashes and also for watching 15 year old daughter get covered in clay as she pounced around the perimeter with her girlfriends waving at the boys!

All the kids loved it and I am now a speedway junkie ... can't wait for the demolition derby including caravan racing/smashing!
Attached Thumbnails Speedway Night Out-aston1.jpg   Speedway Night Out-awesome-.jpg   Speedway Night Out-fast-cars-.jpg  
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:58 am
Banned

Baron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the roughBaron Silas Greenback is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Speedway Night Out

Is that Baypark?

We went there on our last visit, the noise, flying mud and excitement was wicked... liked the fries and hot dogs too
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Baron Silas Greenback
Is that Baypark?

We went there on our last visit, the noise, flying mud and excitement was wicked... liked the fries and hot dogs too
Yes it was, I didn't indulge in the food and there was no wine bar sadly - but that was ok as I was driving!

But it was such good fun ... even my Hubby smiled! (although sadly I was too slow with the camera to capture it!)
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest went to his first Speedway last weekend and he's hooked now too! I love car racing and would have loved to have gone but with a 2 & 3 year olds it would have been difficult. Norah said that loads of peeps take their little ones in buggies so maybe next time?!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

what a great night... and the bar was great, look underneath all the corporate boxes next time you go. Also they don't mind you going round the pits after to meet the drivers etc. We started going last year and are hooked. The guy that won the super saloon feature race is tiger woods caddie!!!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 8:40 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maysie
what a great night... and the bar was great, look underneath all the corporate boxes next time you go. Also they don't mind you going round the pits after to meet the drivers etc. We started going last year and are hooked. The guy that won the super saloon feature race is tiger woods caddie!!!
Steve Williams! Isn't he fantastic? We saw him at the opening night in Huntly - he races a Saloon and a Super Saloon and he often races in Auckland. There's a big night at Waikaraka Park tonight - the first round of the Super Stocks champs. It was fantastic there last week too - some really great hits.

Glad you've got to see it Am Loolah
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Batty
Steve Williams! Isn't he fantastic? We saw him at the opening night in Huntly - he races a Saloon and a Super Saloon and he often races in Auckland. There's a big night at Waikaraka Park tonight - the first round of the Super Stocks champs. It was fantastic there last week too - some really great hits.

Glad you've got to see it Am Loolah
Just back from the most fun night again at the speedway! Demolition derby & demolition caravan/boat/anything on a trailer! Will upload photos. Am becoming a complete addict to this Kiwi night out - so much fun!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:32 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Just back from the most fun night again at the speedway! Demolition derby & demolition caravan/boat/anything on a trailer! Will upload photos. Am becoming a complete addict to this Kiwi night out - so much fun!
I always reckoned you had an addictive trait - hence all the cigs and Bolly!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:48 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

cool! It IS addictive isn't it? Steve Williams was racing in Waikaraka tonight and my friend had a party - it was a tough call but friends have to come first This is how addictive it is - we're thinking about moving out of Auckland and our choice of destination is going to be determined by speedway tracks.

There was a charity event in Waikaraka before Christmas with a load of 'celebrity drivers' in a stock car race - Munter and Van from Outrageous Fortune were racing Seemingly, according to OH, April Aramea was there too - who cares? Here's a couple of pics

Van

Munter (phwar )

And the clown

Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Batty
cool! It IS addictive isn't it? Steve Williams was racing in Waikaraka tonight and my friend had a party - it was a tough call but friends have to come first This is how addictive it is - we're thinking about moving out of Auckland and our choice of destination is going to be determined by speedway tracks.

There was a charity event in Waikaraka before Christmas with a load of 'celebrity drivers' in a stock car race - Munter and Van from Outrageous Fortune were racing Seemingly, according to OH, April Aramea was there too - who cares? Here's a couple of pics

Van

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ndtiles032.jpg

Munter (phwar )

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ndtiles035.jpg

And the clown

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ndtiles040.jpg
It's not something I thought I'd love as much as I do!

Some pics from tonight ...
Attached Thumbnails Speedway Night Out-speedway-demolition-derby-aweseome1.jpg   Speedway Night Out-speedway-demolition-derby-awesome2.jpg   Speedway Night Out-speedway-demolition-derby-awesome3.jpg   Speedway Night Out-speedway-demolition-derby-awesome4.jpg   Speedway Night Out-speedway-demolition-derby-awesome5.jpg  

Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:07 pm
By name and by nature

It's a lovely track isn't it? That's my OH's home track and we did a little visit when we were down there - daytime though and we couldn't get in to have a proper look. I've never seen the caravans being towed; that looked like it was good fun. Which are your favourites? I love the saloons and supers and the mods. OH worships the stockies. I think you might have seen his stockcar when he bought it - he's still working on it - nearly two years later They're expensive to get up and running but he will have it ready for next season.

Everytime we go somewhere that has a track we have to make a pilgrimage