Reload this Page >

Speech and Language Therapist

Speech and Language Therapist

Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Maynard100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speech and Language Therapist

Hi all

I'm a British qualified Speech and Language Therapist(pathologist) looking to move overseas. Does anyone have any advice on moving to NZ and working in health care?

Thanks
Old Sep 12th 2012, 4:42 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speech and Language Therapist

Can't help with this much. I can say it is a job offer first and then you apply for a temporary work visa. Not the other way around.

Here is a list of the District Health Boards in NZ
Old Sep 13th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

I am an Occupational Therapist by profession, I stopped working when we came out here last year and although I am not working at the moment, I plan to go back next year and am going through the process of registering at the moment.

Registering here with the OT Board of NZ is quite a long and complicated process so I would recommend you check out whatever the SaLT equivalent is and get registered and your practising certificate BEFORE you come because it can literally take months to sort by the time you have got copies or certificates, course academic mark transcripts, police certificates, etc... I have to wrote essays on cultural competency too.. oh the list is endless!

When registered, I will work for a DHB I suspect, one of the ones in Auckland. Many OTs work in private practise, way more than in the UK so that may be an option too if SaLT is similar over here in that regard.

Hope that helps a little bit?!?!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Hi Maynard,

I am an OT working in health care here in NZ, I've been here for 12 months and must say it has been great.
I organised my registration here before I applied for my visa. From the UK it should be quite straight forward to get all the paperwork you may need, just take a look at the NZ prof' body as they will have a list of doc's you need which will make the process straight forward as long as your organised.
I applied for my visa (residence visa) with a job offer which went through very quickly, getting my visa in 1 week !
Just this week I have have got my permanent visa so can now come and go from NZ as I want.
The process really isn't as complicated as it appears as long as your organised