Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANT

SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANT

Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

karlquayle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANT

Hello, i work in a school in wakefeild and Im a special needs assistant that has worked for 2-3 years. I have trained in numerous techniques regarding disabled children.. including medication, hoist + sling, moving and handling, feeding, personal care, gastronomy units, medication pumps and various other skills.

My question as-well as discussion is does NZ (Auckland) have many "special needs school" primary or secondary?

Also are there any other primary or secondary school teaching assistants or teacher aids that i can ask questions to ?

thanks

A YORKSHIRE MAN
Old Jun 26th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SPECIAL NEEDS ASSISTANT

Not 100% sure but I dont think there many stand alone special needs schools.
I think where there is a need schools have special needs units or classes as
the idea was that all children should be able to attend "normal" mainstream schools
Old Jun 26th 2012, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karlquayle
Hello, i work in a school in wakefeild and Im a special needs assistant that has worked for 2-3 years. I have trained in numerous techniques regarding disabled children.. including medication, hoist + sling, moving and handling, feeding, personal care, gastronomy units, medication pumps and various other skills.

My question as-well as discussion is does NZ (Auckland) have many "special needs school" primary or secondary?

Also are there any other primary or secondary school teaching assistants or teacher aids that i can ask questions to ?

thanks

A YORKSHIRE MAN

Hi,

It is my understanding that to get a job as a teaching assistant in a mainstream school here you would be looking after someone with needs.
That can vary from minimal help to quite a lot of medical help. I have seen one special school ion the North Shore and I think its called Wilson school in glenfield.

Carole
Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

thanks replyers.. i currently work in a mainstream school with a child who has needs and was wondering weather i could transfer the skils..

thanks again

a Yorkshire man
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

thanks replyers.. i currently work in a mainstream school with a child who has needs and was wondering weather i could transfer the skils..

thanks again

a Yorkshire man
Most main stream schools employ teaching assistants. They don't ask for any formal training (although im sure it would help you get a position).
The pay is terrible $16-$18 per hour. You are only paid for the hours you are in class, so forgot about prep time, time to talk to you collegues, time to discuss a child's progress ect (unless you are happy to work for free). Also forget about paid holidays cause you won't get them. Don't expect to have any real impact on a childs learning and feel lucky if the teacher acknowledges your existence. Teachers in NZ do not seem to be used to working with classroom support and take the view that it is a slight on their teaching ability that they have one in their classroom.
Im not just saying this to be negative, it is what I see in my school everyday. Of course their are some exceptions with teachers attitude but on the whole IMO it is a very underpaid and undervalued job in NZ.
Kaz
Old Jun 27th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

babybella

thanks for your honesty..

I currently earn £787 a month so nothing new there
Integration and inclusion is a big thing here in the uk..

How easy is it to start a teaching qualification.. as ive tryed 4 times here in the uk for a PGCE (post graduate ccertificatein education)
???
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

babybella

thanks for your honesty..

I currently earn £787 a month so nothing new there
Integration and inclusion is a big thing here in the uk..

How easy is it to start a teaching qualification.. as ive tryed 4 times here in the uk for a PGCE (post graduate ccertificatein education)
???
If you already have a degree then it's just a year long teaching qual that you need. Have a look at Victoria university of wellington web site. They do teaching degrees. If you are over 21 should be quite easy to get on. Just bear in mind that there is an oversupply of teachers looking for work in NZ at the moment.
Have a look at trademe.co.nz for work options. With your skills you could look at care work also, mental health ect could be other options. Also teaching assistant jobs appear on this website so will give you a good idea of pay and availability.
Good luck
Kaz
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

babybella

AGAIN thanks for your invaluable help !!!

could i ask what job sector is in demand at the moment ?
also i feel moving to NZ with a little help from the other side is theee best way to do it ... any addition help you feel willing to help me with would be appreciated

thanks again !
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

could i ask what job sector is in demand at the moment ?
Do you mean what occupations are finding a shortage of employees at the moment?
sorry , I can be a bit dense at times.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

well, im moving to NZ in a years time and when i get there im under the assumption that i have to stay in my first job for two years to start the application of becoming a resident.

so i was wondering about what kinda of jobs would be easier to get into?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

well, im moving to NZ in a years time and when i get there im under the assumption that i have to stay in my first job for two years to start the application of becoming a resident.

can't necessarily assist in "types" of jobs but don't really understand the thing about staying in your job for 2 years to start the process for residency.

When you move to NZ in a year - under what type of visa will this be?
If you are applying for residency as a skilled migrant then there is sometimes conditions linked to staying in your job but i think this is for 3-6 months not 2 years.

A work to residence visa is linked to a specific job offer and is usually granted for 30 months and after 24 months you can apply for residency.

Work Visas/Permits are also linked to specific job offers but there is no link to applying for residency after a certain period of time.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

[

thanks

A YORKSHIRE MAN [/QUOTE]

Hello
I've been a teacher aide in a primary school in Bay of plenty for four years. I was an NNEB and nursery SENCO in UK with many yrs experience with special needs children. I am funded by the gov. to work in a classroom setting with a child with Downs syndrome. I have worked with her since yr one (now with her in yr five. )
I enjoy the job, I also work with children in the class when I have time . I plan lessons for the child when she isn't in a class activity, I enjoy art and theatre and have been encouraged to help with that, I also do morning tea break and lunch supervision with another special needs child.
The pay is very low. I had to start on nearly the basic salary - my UK experience probably got me the job but didn't give me a leg up on the pay scale , altho they did recognize my UK teaching qualifications with an extra 29cents an hour.
HTH
Helinuk
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:36 pm
`

Ah ! Let's see if we can get you and your partner on the right track then as what you have written isn't how this emigrate lark works really.
Hope I won't sound too starchy with what I write. Or tell you summat you already know. I wouldn't mean it like that. Just sorta feeling my way as to what your best bet might be .

I've read you and partner will apply for the WHV. Great idea as it gives you a chance to see and experience NZ whilst also being allowed to work.

You can't just do any job with a hope of being allowed to apply to become a resident. Or to put it another way, a job / occupation where employees are needed won't necessarily allow you to remain in NZ.

I think you have misunderstood about the 2 year thing. That would be for jobs where the person would be able to earn $55K for a 40 hour week. Normally this is through an employer that is registered with New Zealand Immigration to be able to offer an overseas person that work. The thing is, that person would need to show they have skill and work experience for that job.

May I ask what qualifications & work experience you and your partner have ?

I'd like you to have a punt at the official NZIS Visa Options section & also a good read around HERE

Come back to us with your thoughts on what you see and read.

Can someone please look at the associated occupations comes on the ANZSCO register please & come back with thoughts on this?

The match I'm interested in is 411715 Residential Care Officer.

If the OP can match the work exp & quals for this occupation & IF he could find a full time job doing this THEN he might be able to go the skilled migrant route as this occupation is on the NZIS skilled listy.
Of course, any NZ employer offering such work would need to prove there is no-one resident in NZ that could do that work.

That's my thought for starters. Still thinking about this one.

My initial thought was that he hold his horses and retrain as a male nurse. Nurses are always in demand the world over.....except that this was the same for teachers up until last year but now there is a surplus to demand.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

hello all, i have been on the points indicator and believe with my current job i have 110 points but im not sure..

I believe this may be a SKILLED MIGRENT CATAGORY i could go for AGAIN im not sure...

MINOR GROUP 423 PERSONAL CARERS AND ASSISTANTS

PERSONAL CARERS AND ASSISTANTS
provide basic care, supervision and other support services to individuals for the enhancement of their health, welfare and comfort.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.

In Australia:

AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)

In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)

At least one year(( I WILL HAVE HAD 3 YRS WHEN I LEAVE)) of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Tasks Include:

providing assistance, support, care and companionship to aged and disabled persons and others in need of care and in therapy programs
IN EDUCATION ???

assisting in caring for patients in hospitals, clinics and nursing homes

I HAD A JOB IN A CARE HOME FOR 8 MONTHS.. with required training..
((relevant experience??))

caring for and supervising children in residential childcare establishments and correctional institutions ?? ((SCHOOLS))??

This section contains the following subsection :
UNIT GROUP 4231 Aged and Disabled Carers
UNIT GROUP 4232 Dental Assistants
UNIT GROUP 4233 Nursing Support and Personal Care Workers
UNIT GROUP 4234 Special Care Workers
The red may be helpfull ... any help out there ??

sorry if this is just blatantly obvious, i am open to any constructive criticism..
Old Jul 12th 2012, 12:42 am
`

hello all, i have been on the points indicator and believe with my current job i have 110 points but im not sure..

I believe this may be a SKILLED MIGRENT CATAGORY i could go for AGAIN im not sure...
MINOR GROUP 423 PERSONAL CARERS AND ASSISTANTS
No. I'm sorry. This isn't an occupation that NZIS consider to be skilled. This means you couldn't apply under the skilled migrant policy using that occupation.

Here is a list of the occupations deemed to be skilled. Click HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.