Special Needs

Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Paul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nicePaul35 is just really nice
Default Special Needs

Hi

We are in the process of completeing our ITA,we have our medicals next week.Our youngest son Niall(8) suffers with petit mal which is controlled with medication and has global delay.Will this affect our ITA and if not how well do they cater for these problem at school and medically.

Paul
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special Needs

Originally Posted by Paul35
Hi

We are in the process of completeing our ITA,we have our medicals next week.Our youngest son Niall(8) suffers with petit mal which is controlled with medication and has global delay.Will this affect our ITA and if not how well do they cater for these problem at school and medically.

Paul
Hi Paul,
I no nothing of the medical problem however as with all things medical Immigration will look at how much his condition will cost the country. If your talking major money and resourses it wont be good.

I get the feeling that children with special needs are looked after very well in schools here but again i dont know that first hand.

Immigration will definately ask you for reports on your sons condition. Dont give up at the first knock back.

Good luck

Carole
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:09 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Paul I used to teach children back in the Uk just like your son .
I don't teach here, but have been told that there is a shortage of teachers for children with special needs ( well there is everywhere really, so that won't come as a surprise to you!) Also many are integrated into mainstream, with help. Not all though. I have heard lots of good things about special education here, but have no experience first hand. Sorry not a great deal of help but I Just really wanted to say hi, and if your son is anything like the kids I used to teach I think he could get loads out of NZ.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...data=l#P13_814

You might find the Ministry of Education website useful. From what I can make out, children with more severe special needs than can be provided for, from within the school's normal budget may qualify for ORSS funding. It is children in these categories rather than those with mild special needs who may be refused a visa.

Every case seems to be considered on its merits but obviously they are looking to exclude new migrants who would instantly be a significant drain on scarce resources.

It really depends how severely affected your child is and they'd definitely want medical reports.