Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Speaking to potential employers?

Speaking to potential employers?

Old Dec 19th 2013, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speaking to potential employers?

If all goes to plan husband and I will land in Auckland for a three week trip round both North and South islands in just five weeks time

He has started to mention talking to some potential employers when we're over. Does anyone have any recommendations for finding potential employers in a particular field? There's almost always jobs on Seek but they are invariably via agencies so it's hard to know which companies are offering them.

At this stage we just want to chat as we aren't in a position to move until early 2015 but we do want to find out what work might be like in NZ for us both. I know things change and asking companies to speak to us a year ahead of any potential move is a big ask but it has to be worth a try.

You never know, if one of them offers him megabucks we might be tempted out sooner if the visit tips us into deciding we definitely want to move out.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking to potential employers?

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
If all goes to plan husband and I will land in Auckland for a three week trip round both North and South islands in just five weeks time

He has started to mention talking to some potential employers when we're over. Does anyone have any recommendations for finding potential employers in a particular field? There's almost always jobs on Seek but they are invariably via agencies so it's hard to know which companies are offering them.

At this stage we just want to chat as we aren't in a position to move until early 2015 but we do want to find out what work might be like in NZ for us both. I know things change and asking companies to speak to us a year ahead of any potential move is a big ask but it has to be worth a try.

You never know, if one of them offers him megabucks we might be tempted out sooner if the visit tips us into deciding we definitely want to move out.
What kind of work would he be looking for?
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

He's an electronics design engineer with 30yrs experience; strengths are in analogue work. He's worked for various companies in the UK both in design but he also does project management, quite often trouble shooting design problems to see why things aren't working or projects aren't on time. He mentioned analogue to digital and digital to analogue conversion, high speed motor control and feedback, brushed and brushless DC motors - he's laughing at me trying to type all these terms now
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Hello,

Just stumbled across this thread. How are you getting on? Fisher&Paykel have a few different jobs advertised on their website for engineers...
Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

We've had to delay the visit but flights are now booked and we take off in nine weeks time. I'm varying between terror and excitement and this is just the fact finding trip

I'll have a look at Fisher & Paykel and nudge husband in their direction. Thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Hooray for flights being booked! Fingers and toes crossed. We still need an immigration 'thumbs up' before we book flights but we're hoping to be there not long after you arrive... we'll see!

Have as much fun as possible!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

That's come round quickly, Hazelnut!

It does depend on the job. I sent off CVs to all the potentials in the area I was moving to and got quite a lot of interest. I got a job at the one place I liked when I went for a visit, it worked perfectly for me. they were willing to wait 4mth for me to start which surprised me!
However I do work in a very small profession which made it easy, not too many CVs! Also there is a limited number of applicants for any job going.

Wishing you lots of luck and enjoy the trip!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Due to the cost of housing we did discuss not coming on our fact finding trip as we're at the stage of our lives where we don't want to go back to bedsit living and we aren't sure we can afford anything similar to the house and fields we have at the moment where there's jobs.

The pull to investigate and change our lifestyle is too great though so we're coming over. We're hoping to speak to potential employers, look at housing and have the biggest, most amazing holiday of our lives at the same time.

It's going to be an interesting trip.