Speaking Kiwi

Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:48 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking Kiwi

Isn't "N Zee" an American pronounciation? None of my kiwi mates would say it.
However, I really despise the "July 4" date kind of thing. It's the fourth day of July, why not say so?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Chatting to some english friends last night one looked at me in abject horror as I pronounced NZ as N "Zee" rather than N "Zed"
Surely most New Zealanders would also look at you in abject horror, if you'd said that in front of them!

It would be very unusual to pronounce the letter Z as Zee (as Americans do) in New Zealand.

For instance nobody would ever say, 'TVNZee' or 'ANZee' Bank.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:05 am
Just Joined

jill.dalton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Has anyone else found themselves unwittingly taking on kiwi'isms?

Chatting to some english friends last night one looked at me in abject horror as I pronounced NZ as N "Zee" rather than N "Zed"

I've also found myself slipping in Bro rather a lot, and saying Yis.

I have found myself saying chups for chips or "french fries" and doing the repeated Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah that I originally thought was annoying. Sometimes I even catch myself having Kiwi speak conversations in my head. I love the accent. I think it is so cute how our kid's language has changed too. =)
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get caught out like we did when we first arrived, we'd gone into Warehouse to purchase a few bit, we didn't have our NZ Eftpos Card so we were still using our UK Debit Card.This is what happened when we reached the check out:

Me: I'll be paying with our UK Credit Card is that OK?
Her: Yes
Me: Excellent
Her: Have you got a Pin?
Me: Of course, it's a chip and pin card
Her: No, have you got a pin?
Me: Yes, it's a four digit number all chip and pin cards require
Me: Yes, I've used this card in many places in the world and realise what's needed
Her: No, you'll need a pin
Me: I know I need a pin because it's a chip and pin card
Her: No sir, you'll need a pin
Me: Just let me pay for the items
Her: I'll have to find a pin for you sir
Me: Good luck with that
Her (when she returned): Here's a pin, you need to sign here
Me: FFS

It wis a finistic wilcim to NZ
Old Jun 30th 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

The use of 'dub dub dub' for www really annoys the hell out of me.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 6:45 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
you are sooo right, winds the proverbial out of me
Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:17 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So true.
Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Don't get caught out like we did when we first arrived, we'd gone into Warehouse to purchase a few bit, we didn't have our NZ Eftpos Card so we were still using our UK Debit Card.This is what happened when we reached the check out:

good 'un Mat
I don't know what I was thinking at the time,
I called my new pup Penn(as in female swan) with delusions of grandeur and grace about the dog.
it's great fun when kiwis try and call her or give commands,
"hier Pin", "hier Pin" or "Pin, sett" or "Pin, sett hep"
the poor dog has this look,
Old Jul 1st 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

My bug bear is the use of woman, when they should be saying women.

eg "look at all those woman over there"
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

aiki is an unknown quantity at this point

As a non native English speaker, I am just wondering if British can change their British accent once they move to NZ (or to US e.g.).
I guess, it would be very hard or almost impossible right?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aiki
As a non native English speaker, I am just wondering if British can change their British accent once they move to NZ (or to US e.g.).
I guess, it would be very hard or almost impossible right?
You're kidding right? My dad changes his accent depending on who he's talking too! I think strong regional accents don't change so easily. Good old RP changes quicker IMVHO x
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Isn't "N Zee" an American pronounciation? None of my kiwi mates would say it.
However, I really despise the "July 4" date kind of thing. It's the fourth day of July, why not say so?
Oh dear, yes you are right it is american - but if they don't say it here - where the hell have i picked it up from?
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

Me: I'll be paying with our UK Credit Card is that OK?
Her: Yes
Me: Excellent
Her: Have you got a Pin?
Me: Of course, it's a chip and pin card
Me: Yes, it's a four digit number all chip and pin cards require
Me: Yes, I've used this card in many places in the world and realise what's needed
Her: No, you'll need a pin
Me: I know I need a pin because it's a chip and pin card

very good!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh god yes this is one of the worst! I don't even understand where/how it comes from its a W! not a D?!?!
Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
My bug bear is the use of woman, when they should be saying women.

eg "look at all those woman over there"
OOOOOHHHH yeah this one annoys me too - my landlady was the first time I heard it and everytime she would say it I wanted to correct her and say - its WOMEN! PLURAL!! I thought it was just her and then I realised its how they say it here - bizarre!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.