British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Speaking Kiwi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/speaking-kiwi-623085/)

irnbru14 Jul 31st 2009 6:03 am

Speaking Kiwi

Found this, slightly different to the usual one of these that kicks around, thought it was quite amusing in places, dissapointed that Munce isn't on there though :rofl:

Speak Kiwi

Numptyhead Jul 31st 2009 4:23 pm

Re: Speaking Kiwi

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 7800206)
Found this, slightly different to the usual one of these that kicks around, thought it was quite amusing in places, dissapointed that Munce isn't on there though :rofl:

Speak Kiwi

We had such a laugh today going through the alphabet today. Daughter doesn't think she'll be understand what they're saying now. There is no way on this God's would I have got one doe...or whatever it was....too funny!

MnB Jul 31st 2009 4:50 pm

:rofl::rofl: Love it!!
Yis!! B x

j19fmm Jul 31st 2009 6:16 pm

Love it :thumbsup:

Lee Lee Aug 2nd 2009 9:32 am

Excellent! My husband and I we're fascinated by the kiwi's speech. We thought it was a bit of a south african, australian mix.... Whatever we love it and quite regularly enjoy a fush & chup dinner since our return home :)

bevissa65 Aug 3rd 2009 4:52 pm

Ha Ha :rofl: enjoyed those a lot, Bevissa

Am Loolah Aug 4th 2009 4:21 am

Been a while since this was last posted ... enjoy.:thumbsup:

How to Speak New Zulander
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)

Milburn - capital of Victoria
Peck - to fill a suitcase
pissed aside - chemical which kills insects
pigs - for hanging out washing with
pug - large pink animal with a curly tail
nin tin dough - computer game
munnwe stroney - soup
min- male of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mcKennock - person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
leather - foam produced from soap
lift - departed
Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman
kittle crusps - potato chips
Ken's - Cairns
jungle bills - Christmas carol
inner me - enemy
guess - vapour
fush - marine creature
fitter cheney - type of pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise at gym
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualise
chuck - very young poultry
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - been bitten by insect
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline
beers - large savage animals found in U.S. forests
veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden
one doze - well known computer program
brudge - structure spanning a stream
sex - one less then sivven
tin - one more then nine
iggs ecktly - precisely
cuds - children
cuttin - baby cat
sivven sucks sivven - large Boeing aircraft
sivven four sivven - larger Boeing aircraft
earplane - large flying marchine
beggage chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport

bevissa65 Aug 4th 2009 8:08 am

Ha Ha Ha :rofl: Thats cheered up a miserable summer's morning here!! How much trouble will all us newbies get in when we eventually get there!!!!:thumbsup: Bevissa

Numptyhead Aug 4th 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by bevissa65 (Post 7810871)
Ha Ha Ha :rofl: Thats cheered up a miserable summer's morning here!! How much trouble will all us newbies get in when we eventually get there!!!!:thumbsup: Bevissa

Bevissa stop posting on here. I need to go out and do stuff and i keep reading stuff you've written.....anyway back to the post.....Its strange...I read it out loud to hubby this morning and I sound like an africaans speaking....well crap africaans actually. When I hear Kiwi's talk they don't sound like that. :eek:

Must be me
x

bevissa65 Aug 4th 2009 9:47 am

Likewise Maria, likewise :rofl: Bevissa xxx

kamburu pat Aug 5th 2009 8:39 am

Enjoyed that!
I stayed with my son in Wellington for four months this year and he warned me, "don`t try to speak like the Kiwis, they will think you are taking the mickey" My biggest mistake, and I blush at the thought, is asking some people in NZ, "are you Australian!?" The NZ accent is not like the Aussie one at all, once I got to know people and chatted to them I realised it was the vowels which made the NZ accent what it is.
One poster said they thought the Kiwi accent was similar to the South African, I have also thought that.
Pat.

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 7800206)

Speak Kiwi

Wellington Will Aug 5th 2009 8:49 am

Come off it....

It is like Australian.

I still get them confused after 3 years here (on and off).

The vowel thing is a red herring (rud hirring) because most of the time it's more subtle than the headlines suggest.

kamburu pat Aug 5th 2009 9:07 am

Thanks Will,
Well, if you have been there for three years and are still confused, I can be forgiven, my son has been there for thirteen years so perhaps he`s had more time to get it right.
One lady I met in the eye clinic on Cuba Street I spoke to was born in Australia but moved to Wellington when she got married many years ago, so she had a mixture of both accents.
Pat.

Originally Posted by Wellington Will (Post 7814341)
Come off it....

It is like Australian.

I still get them confused after 3 years here (on and off).

The vowel thing is a red herring (rud hirring) because most of the time it's more subtle than the headlines suggest.

Numptyhead Aug 5th 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by kamburu pat (Post 7814377)
Thanks Will,
Well, if you have been there for three years and are still confused, I can be forgiven, my son has been there for thirteen years so perhaps he`s had more time to get it right.
One lady I met in the eye clinic on Cuba Street I spoke to was born in Australia but moved to Wellington when she got married many years ago, so she had a mixture of both accents.
Pat.

I met a woman at work the other week...didn't know her from Adam....a real soft accent...Aussie or Kiwi......Kiwi I thought, but knew just not to ask. I eventually got the subject round to where she was from....Bleddy Adelaide but been here (UK) for years. Its the same with Canadians and yanks, I can just about spot the difference but would never try and sound clever by asking...Ho Humm! I on the tuther hand spakes the Quean's inglish:sneaky:

irnbru14 Aug 5th 2009 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Numptyhead (Post 7814407)
I met a woman at work the other week...didn't know her from Adam....a real soft accent...Aussie or Kiwi......Kiwi I thought, but knew just not to ask. I eventually got the subject round to where she was from....Bleddy Adelaide but been here (UK) for years. Its the same with Canadians and yanks, I can just about spot the difference but would never try and sound clever by asking...Ho Humm! I on the tuther hand spakes the Quean's inglish:sneaky:

If you are going to ask its safer to assume they are Kiwi or Canadian and get it wrong than to accuse a Kiwi of being a Aussie or a Canadian of being a Yank :thumbup: