Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Southerners talk us into it

Southerners talk us into it

Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Re: Southerners talk us into it

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Are you (Claire) mad? Just kidding.

I have considered it also, once eldest started school (so much wasted time IMO) but I'm not sure how much the kids would enjoy me as their teacher and I might thus lose patience. Plus my youngest just adores the company of other children (without me there to spoil it!) I'd also be so tempted to put if off if something else was beckoning, which brings me onto how expensive it would be if I did it (museums, field trips etc.) So I can't believe you can't get a rebate from the council to help with the costs if you're not taking up your funded state school place! Materials per subject are quite costly and it's not as if we have the finances to be going private.

But I have heard it's quite popular in NZ (probably especially so in Nelson) and thus there's quite a good support network.

Enjoy!
Well we'll see, its just a thought at the mo but it would be done with a group of like minded parents with rotating "teacher" each week so there would certainly be lots of contact with other kiddies!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:33 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
Well we'll see, its just a thought at the mo but it would be done with a group of like minded parents with rotating "teacher" each week so there would certainly be lots of contact with other kiddies!
Translation: We are going to live in a hippy commune.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:38 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

More Pics of Marlborough!

1 On top of the Wither Hills on a horse trek.

2 View down to Havelock.

3 Karaka Point in the sounds.
Attached Thumbnails Southerners talk us into it-4-hr-trek-036.jpg   Southerners talk us into it-oldpc-269.jpg   Southerners talk us into it-karaka-002.jpg  
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:44 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
More Pics of Marlborough!

1 On top of the Wither Hills on a horse trek.

2 View down to Havelock.

3 Karaka Point in the sounds.

Stephen!!!!

What do you think you're doing ????

I thought Blenheim was a secret that only the 4 of us knew about Carry on & it'll be full by Xmas!!!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:51 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Sounds great. Discussed this with my friend over the road last week. Also involved running away in a caravan.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Stephen!!!!

What do you think you're doing ????

I thought Blenheim was a secret that only the 4 of us knew about Carry on & it'll be full by Xmas!!!
Well somebody let the cat out of the bag! Wonder who that was.....

I want to build some equity in our house now, so bring on the JAFA's!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:00 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you wait till we've bought ours?? Then we can join forces & reap the benefits!!!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
well probably not as flirting would probably be frowned upon in a commune!!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Oi the JAFAs will come and sort you out matey
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:10 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Name on a map mean nothing to me at the moment so....................

Within a 30 mins car ride of Nelson Hospital which areas should we be looking at?

Priorities are good schools and hopefull close to the coast
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Name on a map mean nothing to me at the moment so....................

Within a 30 mins car ride of Nelson Hospital which areas should we be looking at?

Priorities are good schools and hopefull close to the coast
OK a little info for you:

As you come out of Nelson, the first places you go through are virtually continuos from Nelson. These are Stoke and Richmond. These are both good sized areas with lots of residential, schools, shops. Someone that lives there will have to comment on schools quality tho as I have no idea mate!

Then if you turn off on Highway 60 towards Motueka you then go through much smaller towns/villages: Mapua, Ruby Bay & Tasman. I think thats about your lot if you want to keep drive time down to 30mins! Here you are talking small country schools and altho I have no school names specifically, we were told that they are decent; I seem to remember that Mapua & Tasman country schools were both supposed to be ok. These are ALL along the coast heading west from Nelson.

Hope that helps a teeny bit.

Dave
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:32 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
OK a little info for you:

As you come out of Nelson, the first places you go through are virtually continuos from Nelson. These are Stoke and Richmond. These are both good sized areas with lots of residential, schools, shops. Someone that lives there will have to comment on schools quality tho as I have no idea mate!

Then if you turn off on Highway 60 towards Motueka you then go through much smaller towns/villages: Mapua, Ruby Bay & Tasman. I think thats about your lot if you want to keep drive time down to 30mins! Here you are talking small country schools and altho I have no school names specifically, we were told that they are decent; I seem to remember that Mapua & Tasman country schools were both supposed to be ok. These are ALL along the coast heading west from Nelson.

Hope that helps a teeny bit.

Dave
Cheers Dave. Thats a starting point for me
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Oi the JAFAs will come and sort you out matey
Oh no! Death by decaffeinated soy milk, latte drinkers! Right scared!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 11:38 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Cheers Dave. Thats a starting point for me
The Maitai Valley directly out the back of town also looked nice. we climbed to the top of the big hill in the reserve in town to see the geographical centre point of NZ. not heavily populated and nice hills and the river and only about 10 mins drive
Old Mar 8th 2007, 12:10 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
The Maitai Valley directly out the back of town also looked nice. we climbed to the top of the big hill in the reserve in town to see the geographical centre point of NZ. not heavily populated and nice hills and the river and only about 10 mins drive

Will you all stop encouraging him PLEASE!!!!!!!

If Jack moves in, we'll all be done for

Last edited by P2L; Mar 8th 2007 at 12:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.