Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Southerners talk us into it

Southerners talk us into it

Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:39 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southerners talk us into it

Originally Posted by Paladin
Laura,

You'll just have to come visit us when we get moved!!!!

Dave
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Will look forward to it then!!!

Dave
x
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:24 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

My father-in-law is originally from Blenheim. His two brothers still live there, whilst he now lives in France. Both own great vineyards. Excellent lifestyle. I really fancy Beachcombers lifestyle. A vineyard would be great, but totally out of the question financially.

Always had more of a gut feeling for the South Island, not that I know it much at all, but the scenery and places to visit do it for me, possibly because I'm originally from the Lake District, who knows. Marlborough or Nelson sound great. Sunshine always helps people feel better! MIL on Auckland's North Shore is a bit of a pull though, in terms of grandparent relationship. But flights between the islands will be much cheaper than between continents!

Hmm, I have been trying to conjure up a mainly South Island visit sometime this year, but am struggling to find a time slot we could make - too much family visiting and planned 'hopping over to Europe' trips! Christmas maybe.

BTW, had a browse of Nelson's properties recently and whilst there were some stunners, they didn't look cheap. I would just love a sea view. Well not 'just', a pool would be good too. But happy to have a smaller house than we have in the UK - I know most people don't do it that way round!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
My father-in-law is originally from Blenheim. His two brothers still live there, whilst he now lives in France. Both own great vineyards. Excellent lifestyle. I really fancy Beachcombers lifestyle. A vineyard would be great, but totally out of the question financially.

Always had more of a gut feeling for the South Island, not that I know it much at all, but the scenery and places to visit do it for me, possibly because I'm originally from the Lake District, who knows. Marlborough or Nelson sound great. Sunshine always helps people feel better! MIL on Auckland's North Shore is a bit of a pull though, in terms of grandparent relationship. But flights between the islands will be much cheaper than between continents!

Hmm, I have been trying to conjure up a mainly South Island visit sometime this year, but am struggling to find a time slot we could make - too much family visiting and planned 'hopping over to Europe' trips! Christmas maybe.

BTW, had a browse of Nelson's properties recently and whilst there were some stunners, they didn't look cheap. I would just love a sea view. Well not 'just', a pool would be good too. But happy to have a smaller house than we have in the UK - I know most people don't do it that way round!
Hi Carmen!

Come after September and get good weather and we'll put you up for a bit to save money while you see the northern part!!

Dave
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:04 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
I think I need to do some research on this Southern oasis

So where are the places to live and avoid in the Nelson area?

Needs are good schooling and within a 30 minute drive of Nelson hospital
When we were still considering Nelson and its hospital we drove down the Motueka valley. That place really did tick lots of boxes and if you like fresh fruit and produce it would take some beating. A place like this would do

http://www.realestate.co.nz/419755/images
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
When we were still considering Nelson and its hospital we drove down the Motueka valley. That place really did tick lots of boxes and if you like fresh fruit and produce it would take some beating. A place like this would do

Sure would!!!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:46 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SirEglamore

Cheers

I quite like THIS
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:56 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

I quite like THIS
ME TOO! I wonder what the area's like? A bit newer than I normally like, but I absolutely LOVE IT! Sea views are great. Probably no garden then (no pics of one - possibly a giveaway). Actually I've reread and the plot is almost 1/4 acre apparantly. More perfect.

Last edited by uk+kiwi; Mar 7th 2007 at 3:59 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:58 pm

Hi Carmen!

Come after September and get good weather and we'll put you up for a bit to save money while you see the northern part!!

Dave
Thanks Dave. Will ponder some more now that Jack's very kindly found me a great house in Nelson.

p.s. did you check out any Nelson schools? I imagine you may have visited the Steiner one. Any others?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Thanks Dave. Will ponder some more now that Jack's very kindly found me a great house in Nelson.

p.s. did you check out any Nelson schools? I imagine you may have visited the Steiner one. Any others?

only the Steiner School in motueka but we're also considering home schooling!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 4:43 pm

only the Steiner School in motueka but we're also considering home schooling!

Are you (Claire) mad? Just kidding.

I have considered it also, once eldest started school (so much wasted time IMO) but I'm not sure how much the kids would enjoy me as their teacher and I might thus lose patience. Plus my youngest just adores the company of other children (without me there to spoil it!) I'd also be so tempted to put if off if something else was beckoning, which brings me onto how expensive it would be if I did it (museums, field trips etc.) So I can't believe you can't get a rebate from the council to help with the costs if you're not taking up your funded state school place! Materials per subject are quite costly and it's not as if we have the finances to be going private.

But I have heard it's quite popular in NZ (probably especially so in Nelson) and thus there's quite a good support network.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:07 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Cheers

I quite like THIS
Glad she didnt see that one or she'd have me mortgaged to death
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:13 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

I quite like THIS
Nice house that one - obviously someone with taste showed you it
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:18 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy&georgina
Nice house that one - obviously someone with taste showed you it
Yeah, you and Charlie conspiring together
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:21 pm
Banned

andy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond reputeandy&georgina has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you and Charlie conspiring together
Well thank your lucky stars that was the cheaper of the houses we found

You would of looked out of place in the others

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.