Southern Lights

Old Feb 18th 2011, 3:06 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Southern Lights

So with the sun having a bit of a spaz at the moment are we likely to get to see the atmospheric plasma thingies here? Says yes in the UK: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20110217...r-a7ad41d.html
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Southern Lights

Now you're talking.

I want to see the like. I've always wanted to see this. I'd do the freeze the toes off. Dog sleds and tents to see that. Betcha I won't be seeing it here.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 4:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Now you're talking.

I want to see the like. I've always wanted to see this. I'd do the freeze the toes off. Dog sleds and tents to see that. Betcha I won't be seeing it here.
Me too. I know my S-i-L has seen them from the Isle of Skye from time-to-time but I'm with you BEVS on the whole ice/snow/husky thing
Old Feb 18th 2011, 7:42 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Southern Lights

You need two things to see an aurora: a clear night sky - preferably around midnight - and a recently stormy sun. A bit of luck helps.
Current extent:

Linky to page that has an Aurora Australis forecast: http://www.southlandnz.com/Businessi...nwinRadar.aspx
Old Feb 18th 2011, 8:07 am
`

I'm thinking South of South but it has been known to be a little further up.

Last time it was seen around Dunedin I believe but not really further North.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 11:04 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Southern Lights

*cough*
Solar flares send out bursts of electromagnetic energy that strike the Earth's magnetic field. The most common impacts for the average person are the glowing auroras around the north and south poles, and the researchers said those could be visible this weekend.
Link: http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...es-reach-Earth
Old Aug 6th 2011, 2:08 am
`

Right-o. Eyes peeled
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:58 am
Throw yourself at it...

VickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really niceVickyVN is just really nice

I now use the Unwin radar website that Charasmatic linked to recently in conjunction with the Facebook feed from the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) which is really cool actually, it explains all that 'space' stuff in a way even us non-quantum physicists can understand.
I watch it every day so as soon as I see anything, I'll check back here to see if you guys know about it. Between us, we should get the mass migration to the south of the SI pretty coordinated - get the flasks of hot chocolate on standby, I'll bring the flapjack. lol