south island trip

Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default south island trip

Were hoping to go to the south island in January and really wanted to see Milford sound and Fiordland. Has anyone got any ideas how we can do this without it costing mega bucks. We are 2 adults and 3 children but will be paying for 3 adults and 2 children because of their ages.

Thanks

Carole
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:39 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: south island trip

We did a South Island trip in December and used motels - you can get all sorts of studio type places with two bedrooms or more.
We had four adults and paid an average of $110-$200 a night

Have a look at our blog (link below) and browse back to December using the menu on the left - you can see where we went and what we did!
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carole

We're planning an very similar trip when the in-laws come out... 4 adults I kid, flying to Dunedin rather than Queenstown as it's cheaper and quicker from Wellington, renting a car from there before driving to Queenstown and probable renting a holiday home for the week as a base...

Simon
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:05 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

That's what we will do next time. Driving down and back up is nice but takes ages!

My plan for the next trip is fly to Queenstown, down to the fjords, up the West Coast, across Arthurs Pass to Kaikoura then up to Nelson then Picton.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Hi Carole

We're planning an very similar trip when the in-laws come out... 4 adults I kid, flying to Dunedin rather than Queenstown as it's cheaper and quicker from Wellington, renting a car from there before driving to Queenstown and probable renting a holiday home for the week as a base...

Simon
Hi,

Thanks, Rob I will check out your pictures as soon as i have a moment.
I should have said, we also intend to fly to Queenstown. Hopefully we will have a house there for a week and so wanted to look around that area.

We will need to rent a car so if you have found anywhere cheap Simon please let me know.

Rob can we do a boat trip or something for the day around Fiordland/ milfordsounds.

Thanks again

Carole
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:59 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

Thanks, Rob I will check out your pictures as soon as i have a moment.
I should have said, we also intend to fly to Queenstown. Hopefully we will have a house there for a week and so wanted to look around that area.

We will need to rent a car so if you have found anywhere cheap Simon please let me know.

Rob can we do a boat trip or something for the day around Fiordland/ milfordsounds.

Thanks again

Carole
Yep - www.realjourneys.com
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:53 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

we used 'trips and tramps'
http://www.milfordtourswalks.co.nz/
and we did the coach and cruise package - they were brilliant - what I also like d about them was it was very personal - the bus only takes about 12 people when we did it there was only us. They also use the tall ship with the sails for the boat round the sounds - I thought it was the prettiest one.

We have a blog of our SI trip - with driving times and nice places to stay and eat

http://thebigsouthislandtrip.blogspot.com/

we drove all the way from Northland NI to almost the bottom of the SI so you could ignore some of it! There are lovely pictures
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
we used 'trips and tramps'
http://www.milfordtourswalks.co.nz/
and we did the coach and cruise package - they were brilliant - what I also like d about them was it was very personal - the bus only takes about 12 people when we did it there was only us. They also use the tall ship with the sails for the boat round the sounds - I thought it was the prettiest one.

We have a blog of our SI trip - with driving times and nice places to stay and eat

http://thebigsouthislandtrip.blogspot.com/

we drove all the way from Northland NI to almost the bottom of the SI so you could ignore some of it! There are lovely pictures
Thanks Pixie-dust. I remember looking at your pictures the first time and could'nt find them last night. I shall plan away.

Carole
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,

Carole
Will do Carole...