south island

Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Question south island

Hi All,

I haven't written for a while been really busy with the house, moving out in 3 weeks, still no job offer since last one fell through. Although our agency has been on the phone and want to know if we are willing to move to the South Island

I know I shouldn't say I don't want to go as I have never been to NZ before, but I had my heart set on the Bay of Plenty or Auckland on the North Island.

Isn't it a lot cooler on the South Island? Silly questions I know, but my husband just wants to get there and I am being really awkward. I know if he gets offered a job he only has to stay for 3 months and then we could move, but we have two small children and I don't want to get to the South Island just to get in NZ and then have to move schools etc and move over to the North Island.

Any info on the South Island greatly appreciated.

J x
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:20 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: south island

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Although our agency has been on the phone and want to know if we are willing to move to the South Island
Why the thumbs down?

I know I shouldn't say I don't want to go as I have never been to NZ before, but I had my heart set on the Bay of Plenty or Auckland on the North Island.
Expand your horizons.

Isn't it a lot cooler on the South Island?
Winter can be a bit chillier in some places here on the South Island, true. However, there are parts of the North Island that would freeze the balls off a brass monkey. Waiouru, anyone?

Summer time temperatures in Central Otago or inland on the Canterbury plains can get quite warm. The point is that there are a lot of variables and micro-climates in most places. Auckland can seem be cool, wet and miserable in the winter if you live in an shaded uninsulated house. The Bay of Plenty does sometimes get some southerlies blasting through that will definitely have you grabbing your scarf and wool cap. Having said all this, most of the North Island is reasonably mild for the most part, but it certainly isn't tropical.

Silly questions I know, but my husband just wants to get there and I am being really awkward. I know if he gets offered a job he only has to stay for 3 months and then we could move, but we have two small children and I don't want to get to the South Island just to get in NZ and then have to move schools etc and move over to the North Island.
I think you are over-reacting. Settle down and take a deep breath. You say you haven't been here to New Zealand. Check it out before you go and have a good old fashioned freak-out.

Any info on the South Island greatly appreciated.

J x
Listen, where you are likely to live in the South Island isn't going to be like Siberia or something. Chill out.

You sound like you got a good case of the immigration jitters. Good luck.

Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Smile Re: south island

Originally Posted by happynz
Why the thumbs down?

Expand your horizons.

Winter can be a bit chillier in some places here on the South Island, true. However, there are parts of the North Island that would freeze the balls off a brass monkey. Waiouru, anyone?

Summer time temperatures in Central Otago or inland on the Canterbury plains can get quite warm. The point is that there are a lot of variables and micro-climates in most places. Auckland can seem be cool, wet and miserable in the winter if you live in an shaded uninsulated house. The Bay of Plenty does sometimes get some southerlies blasting through that will definitely have you grabbing your scarf and wool cap. Having said all this, most of the North Island is reasonably mild for the most part, but it certainly isn't tropical.

I think you are over-reacting. Settle down and take a deep breath. You say you haven't been here to New Zealand. Check it out before you go and have a good old fashioned freak-out.

Listen, where you are likely to live in the South Island isn't going to be like Siberia or something. Chill out.

You sound like you got a good case of the immigration jitters. Good luck.

Many thanks for the reply happynz, you are soooo right. I do need to take a deep breath. You're diagnosis is completely correct I'm defo having the immigration jitters, didn't think I'd be this bad, its like walking on bloody egg shells around me some days. I think everyone will be glad when we've finally gone they must be bored stupid of our NZ talk.

I feel much better now, just going through a bit of a fretting stage.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:58 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We live on South Island, Marlborough.

We have just come through our first 'winter' which according to Marlburians has been awful, but in our opinion was no worse than a cold autumn in the UK.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:00 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

We too were hoping to move to the Bay of Plenty, Tauranga. We even put in a conditional offer on a house (log cabin) in the hills when we were on our 6 day recce in March!! But likewise, job offer there didn't come off, but were offered one in Christchurch. I too thought I'd prefer the 'tropical' north. But I am so glad we didn't go there! I love Christchurch and within 2 weeks of getting here in May, we bought a house in Rangiora, just 25 mins north of the city. It is beautiful here. 10 mins from some great deserted beaches, 1 hour from Mt Hutt ski fields, 1 1/2 hrs from Hanmer thermal springs. The town has everything you could need, great schools, safe, quietish, community feel with great shopping malls like Northlands, The Palms, Northwood and Westfield just a short drive away.

We were expected a really cold winter but haven't once had to don hats, scarves, gloves or even coats. There is usually a blue sky and sunshine and we've had some cracking hot days already. In fact I've been gardening most of the winter and we've been out to the beaches most weekends and fishing, etc.

The kids love it here (12 and 11). If you want to know more, please read our blog.

Don't be disheartened, it's a bit of a myth that the north island is more tropical and warmer - like HappyNZ said, there are micro climates all over the place and we are certainly very pleased and settled. We couldn't be happier.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it is not a myth. Some parts of the North island are quite a lot milder than the South.

IMHO it is about the climate that gives you the lifestyle you prefer, the south and north islands are not so much better or worse than each other, they are different.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

The coldest I've been in the 5 years of living here was in May when I was in Queenstown. It was lovely though.
Yesterday there were a few swimmers in the sea, and on Saturday I spent a few hours on the beach with my daughter who ended up quite happily sitting in a rock pool playing with shells.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

I liked South Island better but it has been easier to find a job in North Island for me. What does your husband do?

Alison
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: south island

Originally Posted by littleal
I liked South Island better but it has been easier to find a job in North Island for me. What does your husband do?

Alison
Hiya Alison,

Thanks for replying

He does roadworks, mainly asphalt, block paving, kerbing (reinstatement) if that makes any sense to you at all.

Juliex
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya Alison,

Thanks for replying

He does roadworks, mainly asphalt, block paving, kerbing (reinstatement) if that makes any sense to you at all.

Juliex
In that case he should be alright on either island

Try http://www.bfound.net/list.aspx?CoId=137&rq=2. The jobs are mainly in Christchurch but Christchurch is lovely.

Alison
Old Sep 19th 2007, 8:16 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I haven't written for a while been really busy with the house, moving out in 3 weeks, still no job offer since last one fell through. Although our agency has been on the phone and want to know if we are willing to move to the South Island

Isn't it a lot cooler on the South Island? Silly questions I know, but my husband just wants to get there and I am being really awkward. I know if he gets offered a job he only has to stay for 3 months and then we could move, but we have two small children and I don't want to get to the South Island just to get in NZ and then have to move schools etc and move over to the North Island.

on the South Island greatly appreciated.

J x
We spent the first year on N island but moved to S island last Dec. We live in Nelson which is prob sunniest part of all NZ and absolutely love it. Winter was pretty mild here, few frosts but nothing major and most days you can still have a coffee outside in the sun without a coat. The S island also has plenty of ski resorts. Both islands are great and very different but I for one am very glad to be on ths South.
Best of luck
Darren
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:45 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Have a look at my pictures on Flickr on the South Island. Beautiful place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7726323...7600761124167/
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:48 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Actually it is not a myth. Some parts of the North island are quite a lot milder than the South.
Did you mean warmer?
"Milder weather" just means less extreme, and is subjective. I guess what you say is right, if you are comparing many parts of the North Island to somewhere like Alexandra (with both the hottest and coldest temps in NZ).

Then again, the most settled weather is probably in parts of the south island, like Nelson.

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
IMHO it is about the climate that gives you the lifestyle you prefer, the south and north islands are not so much better or worse than each other, they are different.
I agree!
For example, I struggle with the humidity of the far north in the summer, and I know others who would think the cold snaps in the south are terrible.

Its also dangerous to generalise the weather within an island. Auckland has very different weather compared to Hawkes Bay, and Wellington's is very different again. And the same could be said of Westland vs Christchurch vs Nelson vs Central Otago.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Did you mean warmer?
"Milder weather" just means less extreme, and is subjective. I guess what you say is right, if you are comparing many parts of the North Island to somewhere like Alexandra (with both the hottest and coldest temps in NZ).

Then again, the most settled weather is probably in parts of the south island, like Nelson.

I agree!
For example, I struggle with the humidity of the far north in the summer, and I know others who would think the cold snaps in the south are terrible.

Its also dangerous to generalise the weather within an island. Auckland has very different weather compared to Hawkes Bay, and Wellington's is very different again. And the same could be said of Westland vs Christchurch vs Nelson vs Central Otago.
I mean milder
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: south island

I think it's warmer but rains more in Auckland. Nelson is the best place though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.