Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

South Auckland - areas to live

South Auckland - areas to live

Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Post South Auckland - areas to live

Hi,

I've moving to Auckland later this month, and will be working in the South Auckland area, Mount Wellington area. I wonder if anyone could recommend areas to live.

I'll look to rent initially (as I've only just put my property on the market in the UK prior to moving), but would be nice to know what kind of areas I can be looking at.

I'll looking for somewhere fairly quiet, hopefully near to the countryside, and within a 30 min or so commute.
In England, I work in Sheffield and live 40mins (in peak time) or so from the office, in a smallish village on the fringes of the Peak District. So it's no problem to go for a stroll or get out on the bike.

I've no kids, so being near a school is not important. Any suggestions welcome.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 7:36 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: South Auckland - areas to live

Pukokoe Have a look - it's reasonable for house prices, pretty and although I'm not sure of commute time to Mt Wellington it wouldn't be far off half an hour I think - you'd have to check obviously.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Hi,

I've moving to Auckland later this month, and will be working in the South Auckland area, Mount Wellington area. I wonder if anyone could recommend areas to live.

I'll look to rent initially (as I've only just put my property on the market in the UK prior to moving), but would be nice to know what kind of areas I can be looking at.

I'll looking for somewhere fairly quiet, hopefully near to the countryside, and within a 30 min or so commute.
In England, I work in Sheffield and live 40mins (in peak time) or so from the office, in a smallish village on the fringes of the Peak District. So it's no problem to go for a stroll or get out on the bike.

I've no kids, so being near a school is not important. Any suggestions welcome.

Papakura maybe,
or depending on where you work in Mount Wellington consider something like titirangi to the west or howick etc to the east.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Yeah pukekohe area has a tick, there are nice new developments in the area like this
http://www.anselmiridge.co.nz/
its about 40km from mt wellington so if you are wanting something closer, you can't go wrong with howick
http://www.howickvillage.co.nz/
easy access from here into here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunua_Ranges
Old Apr 8th 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

James S has a spectacular aura aboutJames S has a spectacular aura aboutJames S has a spectacular aura about

Have you moved to NZ yet - we live in Huddersfield and are moving out to South Auckland shortly (hopefully end of July) let me know what the areas are like will you as we have the same dilemas at the moment and Im sick of looking at Trademe/allrealestate etc etc!!

Cheers

James s
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by James S
Have you moved to NZ yet - we live in Huddersfield and are moving out to South Auckland shortly (hopefully end of July) let me know what the areas are like will you as we have the same dilemas at the moment and Im sick of looking at Trademe/allrealestate etc etc!!

Cheers

James s
oh my god, we LIVE on TradeMe

I take it you guys (like us) have never been to NZ, and are totally in the dark when it comes to deciding where to live?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

East Auckland Cockle Bay Bucklands Beach Howick are quite an easy commute to Mount Wellington.Also consider Beachlands. Sommerville has a walk near Whitford.Whitford is mostly lifestyle plots and the forest.Clevedon is rural with farmers market on a Sunday and Duders Regional Park.

Maybe look at Ardmore and Alfriston as they are again rural.

South Auckland Pukekohe is rural but new estates are also growing up there has a traditional High street but the traffic can be quite heavy in the peak times.

We find renting here in Dannemora at the moment is convienient for all shopping cinema with the new Highbrook exit onto the motorway easy to get about to beaches parks going south or going back up to the shore.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Personally I would avoid Papakura. We lived there for about four months and did not like it. Quite a high crime rate and there was a bag snatch right in front of me in the main street. However Clevedon is nice and it is rural and it is about ten minutes from Papakura.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=James S;6177952]Have you moved to NZ yet - we live in Huddersfield and are moving out to South Auckland shortly (hopefully end of July) let me know what the areas are like will you as we have the same dilemas at the moment and Im sick of looking at Trademe/allrealestate etc etc!!

Cheers

if you see an area you like get a second opinion before you commit to any areas in South Auckland,although there are some good areas there are some very dodgy ones too,..We have been here since last July and we personaly wouldn't live in South Auckland. .Anytime you see any trouble on the news its always South Auckland JackyBut this is just our opinion....There are probably some nice areas,we just havn't founf them yet....

Last edited by garryhg; Apr 9th 2008 at 7:29 am.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg

if you see an area you like get a second opinion before you commit to any areas in South Auckland,although there are some good areas there are some very dodgy ones too,..We have been here since last July and we personaly wouldn't live in South Auckland. .Anytime you see any trouble on the news its always South Auckland JackyBut this is just our opinion....There are probably some nice areas,we just havn't founf them yet....
I've lived in South Auckland for three years and have been to every town in the area and I haven't found any nice places either.

I would avoid Papakura too. Although the area called Red Hill has some better homes and quite good views, it's still close to some very unsavory areas. We went walking in a park in Papakura called Kirk's Bush which is full of lovely old native trees and *every single* tree along the path had been graffittied.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

I worked with a kiwi who grew up in Papakura,heard some pretty horific stories about her life there...A lot of gangs around that area,loads of funny hand shaking,shoulder banging hellos from pretty huge intimidating blokes....and thats from a local lass who is very street wise.....hope this helps,jacky
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

gemmaandjessie is an unknown quantity at this point

we live in the peak district and hope to move to auckland next year if your .a teacher i`ll start to think my wifes posting on here too let us know what aucklands like when you get there
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

James S has a spectacular aura aboutJames S has a spectacular aura aboutJames S has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wilekit
oh my god, we LIVE on TradeMe

I take it you guys (like us) have never been to NZ, and are totally in the dark when it comes to deciding where to live?
exactly the same - havent got a clue where is nice and where isnt!!! which is what led me to this site thought I may get some much needed advice!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=garryhg;6181363]
Originally Posted by James S

Cheers

we've seen a house in hunua which looks decent any idea if that is OK?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=James S;6182978]
Originally Posted by garryhg
we've seen a house in hunua which looks decent any idea if that is OK?
I don't know that area,someone else might,but working again on saturday,will ask my kiwi cooleagues...Jacky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.