Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sorry to say, leaving for Canada

Sorry to say, leaving for Canada

Old May 21st 2007, 2:50 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry to say, leaving for Canada

Couldn't it be argued that living in a cold damp shed is character building? Seriously.

I spent the last ten years living in a fully carpeted centrally heated apartment and it made me into a soft fat poof.

I reckon a couple of winters in NZ and I'll be lean and mean again.
Old May 21st 2007, 2:56 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, for a large packet of Minstrels, we'll swap! How are you with whitetails and a mouse called Bert? Or several mice called Bert.....until they are seen together we will continue to assume that it is one.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:13 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Ok, for a large packet of Minstrels, we'll swap! How are you with whitetails and a mouse called Bert? Or several mice called Bert.....until they are seen together we will continue to assume that it is one.
Whitetails are deer? That sounds nice.

But Mrs Avid is scared of mice.....so the deals off, sorry.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

So there's a valuable lesson there then that when rennovating we should all budget for insulation and some form of heating as a priority?

*feels better about having done these things and not the decorating* <--- edited to add that that's me laughing at my crappy decorated house, NOT Poppy2!

Last edited by soulflour; May 21st 2007 at 3:46 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:36 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

No it feels better to have done a great job of saving something that is part of the local heritage and doing a great job. Now with our profit, we leave and wave goodbye to the issues of heating, and ALL the issues I have already mentioned.

On the one hand I have someone telling me that I am stupid for not making better choices with heating - then conversely someone saying this is NZ and I have unreasonable expectations of central heating etc. Which is it? Its *taking my choice and my comments personally* is what it looks like to me.

This is my experience and my choices, both past and current. Nothing can be said that will detract from the fact that we were here for 4 years, worked here (hard), had a child, renovated a heritage home and spent lots of money on local trades. We did a good job and we arent still sat moaning in the UK, still moaning about our lives, which would have been the case had we not made the brave leap to come here. So I am sure we dont need people pointing out how they think we could have done better. We did great thanks.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:43 am
NS covern member #1

Avid - I am sorry to mislead you, no whitetails, as in the spider! So that would be a double no with the Mrs Avid I suppose! Anyway....about the minstrels...........
Old May 21st 2007, 3:55 am

Avid - I am sorry to mislead you, no whitetails, as in the spider! So that would be a double no with the Mrs Avid I suppose! Anyway....about the minstrels...........
Hmmm...we could kill each others phobia, I suppose...but they might get wise and start teaming up.

I find the thought of mice riding on the backs of spiders quite terrifying, for some reason...

Anyway, for you...I found them outside the Pak N Save but they look ok..
Attached Thumbnails Sorry to say, leaving for Canada-galaxy_minstrels_standard_bag.jpg  
Old May 21st 2007, 4:02 am
NS covern member #1

I'm not proud, I'll have them away thanks!!!

Next time you are outside your Pak and Save, keep your eyes peeled for bread sauce (luxury mind) and some skips!

Back to the mice and spider issue...........Bert is a nice chap and I know he would love a little race on a spider, but sadly we have yet to find a noble spider steed that would support his mousy behind. But.....there are rats the size of cats in the neighbour's shed!! Off to fashion Bert a set of racing silks........
Old May 21st 2007, 4:14 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

...then conversely someone saying this is NZ and I have unreasonable expectations of central heating etc.
Sorry, I hope you didn't read that from my post. My point only was to clarify that NZers housing expectations are different from what most immigrants themselves expect. What is reasonable is up to the individual.
Old May 21st 2007, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Lplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really niceLplate kiwis x4 is just really nice

Hey Poppy2 the best of luck with your move- We have been in NZ since last year and have definately had ups and downs. I am a hopsital midwife too and have been shocked at how family unfriendly my employer is. I just feel really sorry for all those who are full time. As for OH he is a teacher and I fully expect his employers to start asking for body parts soon!

All the best
Old May 21st 2007, 5:11 am
NS covern member #1

Being a hospital midwife can be tough, or it was here in Wangaz. Handmaiden springs to mind at times! But that said, I have met some fabulous examples of LMCs....and some scaryly close to the wind ones too. Having had a baby here also I would say that the LMC role is wonderful for women, if you get one that fits well with you. I did because I knew her, but if I had no luck getting on her books, then yikes! I know lots of other midwives who have worked elsewhere in NZ have had some really good things to say about the bigger departments, so it may be really different where you are. I have enjoyed having more time with women, by stark contrast to the UK! I could go on and on! Well it is so nice to meet another midwife!!! I hope you feel like you are settling in well and enjoying being here, I know it seems odd to say that when we are clearly leaving, but I know that NZ really suits others and I can see why.

Rachel x
Old May 21st 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Being a hospital midwife can be tough, or it was here in Wangaz. Handmaiden springs to mind at times! But that said, I have met some fabulous examples of LMCs....and some scaryly close to the wind ones too. Having had a baby here also I would say that the LMC role is wonderful for women, if you get one that fits well with you. I did because I knew her, but if I had no luck getting on her books, then yikes! I know lots of other midwives who have worked elsewhere in NZ have had some really good things to say about the bigger departments, so it may be really different where you are. I have enjoyed having more time with women, by stark contrast to the UK! I could go on and on! Well it is so nice to meet another midwife!!! I hope you feel like you are settling in well and enjoying being here, I know it seems odd to say that when we are clearly leaving, but I know that NZ really suits others and I can see why.

Rachel x
Just had to comment!! I had a baby here too 4 months ago and my midwife was excellent. I cannot fault any of the care Ive had here throughout my pregnancy and after the c-section. I was most impressed with everyone, the staff at Middlemore were great and so was everyone at Botany Mat Unit. I had a horrible time with my son's birth in UK 3 years ago and would never have dared have another baby if I still lived there. I'm so glad I changed my mind and braved it here.... my experience was great this time round.... but no more for me!
Old May 21st 2007, 9:16 am
NS covern member #1

Ah go on now - have another!! I've had 3 sections and fully intend going for another 2 with luck!

I am glad you have good things to say about your experience, I did too. And we would all like to think that the care we give is meeting the needs of the women and children in our care. Midwives are ace!
Old May 21st 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Ah go on now - have another!! I've had 3 sections and fully intend going for another 2 with luck!

I am glad you have good things to say about your experience, I did too. And we would all like to think that the care we give is meeting the needs of the women and children in our care. Midwives are ace!
Nah nah!! No more for me.... I've done my bit to repopulate the world now!! I'll be 40 in a few months time so wayyyyyy too old anyway!! I find 2 kids more than enough thanks!! My midwife was great, I had elective c-section and she was sympathetic to my reasoning... I didnt even had any bad vibes from anyone when I decided to formula feed....I was supported with every decision by everyone!
Old May 21st 2007, 9:31 am
NS covern member #1

As it should be, my goodness we should all be supported in our parenting choices, it's so personal. Well I see you are feeling busy now - I'll give you a few months to reconsider that *no more* policy!! 40-smorty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.