Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sorry to say, leaving for Canada

Sorry to say, leaving for Canada

Old May 19th 2007, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry to say, leaving for Canada

By the way Poppy2, I hope you enjoy Canada.
Personally I find NZ to be very very boring. After 5 years we have been to all the places we can fit in during weekends so many times now...
Kids grow up, ok when young you can take them to the beach, but they have this habit of growing up dont they?
Try telling a 14 yr & 12 yr old we are off to the beach.......again!
Old May 19th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rascal
They are her reasons all the same.
same as you have your reasons for staying in NZ.
Yes, but they are mostly banal, trite reasons as i said (in my opinion only !) !!!!!!!
My reasons are lifestyle reasons that are shared by millions here.

You don't move across the world based on problems getting "properly measured shoes", if it that important to you, you do something about it , geez !!!

And saying to Teenagers in Canada, "lets go to the frozen pond in the pine forest", do you really think they will say "oooh yes, lets share a family experience, pater" ?

I must admit that i would be tempted by the cheap houses there, though, albeit icy cold ones with a white garden for most of the year.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; May 19th 2007 at 6:04 am.
Old May 19th 2007, 6:05 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if I was really getting into the gritty of it all - I am fed up of working our tails off here, to keep the masses in the comfort that they have become accustomed to and get nothing in return but reverse racism. Brutal, but how we feel. We are English and we are constantly made aware of this - you coming from Belgium might be a quaint (?sp) world traveller.

Out of the 10 couples we know here from the UK, most are returning home or moving on elsewhere. I havent moved 12000 miles round the world (or is it KM, I forget) to stay here forever. And I dont mean to knock those that do, but it simply isnt a longterm stop for us, we have found our wings and it has been a great start.

As for being spoilt with that much annual leave - have you ever worked 12 hours in a very acute Maternity department with 12 women in labour and all that this may entail?? I certainly earnt my paid leave, as do those people here. It could be more, other nations have more, as well as far more perks.

I say I am moving for shops and places to go, because I look forward to having that again. I actaully want to leave because of the inequalities of working and living here and the unpleasant remarks and treament because we are whinging poms. That may not be your experience, but it has been ours.

I want to say again, we have had a wonderful time in New Zealand, but the day to day living has been tough. There are wonderful people and wonderful places here, we will miss that, but that hasnt detracted from the negatives for us. Thats all.
Old May 19th 2007, 6:14 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....dont start me on the housing thing - have you bought into this thing that this place is a tropical island too then?? This country has more problems with childhood asthma and other respiratory issues because of the housing - its like living in a potting shed, in most houses here. I had never met *crying windows* before here.

And I am not moving for fitted shoes. Those are things I look forward to again. Was I to know that the people of NZ didnt value their children's feet enough to get them fitted??

We have been here for 4 years, we arent skipping out on a whim. We have spent good money here, worked hard within our community as healthcare professionals and we have decided the time is right to travel further afield. I find trying to knock Canada a bit childish, but I am not that interested in trying to sell it to someone who is just reacting to someone not wanting what they chose for themselves. I didnt want this thread to be an NZ bashing one. I found this site only the other day in persuance of Canada Immigration stuff - hence this being my only thread on the NZ board. Its just my opinion and nothing more.

So............not coming to the frozen pond for a skate with us then?
Old May 19th 2007, 6:18 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
I want to say again, we have had a wonderful time in New Zealand, but the day to day living has been tough. There are wonderful people and wonderful places here, we will miss that, but that hasnt detracted from the negatives for us. Thats all.
Fair comment IMO. There are positives and negatives about most countires I think and for those of us who try new places, in the end it's always going to be a subjective experience and not something that's in accordance with some some study, report, or other person's finding necessarily.

Your posts Poppy have been truthful for you and your family and balanced IMO. Hope all goes well for you in Canada.

And for Rascal, hate to have to say BBQ Xmases and beaches are very very Aussie! So get used to more! I have to add I never, ever had a BBQ Xmas dinner in NZ... it's way more an Aussie thing.
Old May 19th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Well if I was really getting into the gritty of it all - I am fed up of working our tails off here, to keep the masses in the comfort that they have become accustomed to and get nothing in return but reverse racism. Brutal, but how we feel. We are English and we are constantly made aware of this - you coming from Belgium might be a quaint (?sp) world traveller.

Out of the 10 couples we know here from the UK, most are returning home or moving on elsewhere. I havent moved 12000 miles round the world (or is it KM, I forget) to stay here forever. And I dont mean to knock those that do, but it simply isnt a longterm stop for us, we have found our wings and it has been a great start.

As for being spoilt with that much annual leave - have you ever worked 12 hours in a very acute Maternity department with 12 women in labour and all that this may entail?? I certainly earnt my paid leave, as do those people here. It could be more, other nations have more, as well as far more perks.

I say I am moving for shops and places to go, because I look forward to having that again. I actaully want to leave because of the inequalities of working and living here and the unpleasant remarks and treament because we are whinging poms. That may not be your experience, but it has been ours.

Best of luck for you and your family, then, hope you enjoy the new life !
Old May 19th 2007, 6:21 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm....dont start me on the housing thing - have you bought into this thing that this place is a tropical island too then?? This country has more problems with childhood asthma and other respiratory issues because of the housing - its like living in a potting shed, in most houses here. I had never met *crying windows* before here.

And I am not moving for fitted shoes. Those are things I look forward to again. Was I to know that the people of NZ didnt value their children's feet enough to get them fitted??

We have been here for 4 years, we arent skipping out on a whim. We have spent good money here, worked hard within our community as healthcare professionals and we have decided the time is right to travel further afield. I find trying to knock Canada a bit childish, but I am not that interested in trying to sell it to someone who is just reacting to someone not wanting what they chose for themselves. I didnt want this thread to be an NZ bashing one. I found this site only the other day in persuance of Canada Immigration stuff - hence this being my only thread on the NZ board. Its just my opinion and nothing more.

So............not coming to the frozen pond for a skate with us then?
Have some Karma from me. I think you deserve it!
Old May 19th 2007, 7:11 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand is not paradise, its also not the be all and end all for everyone. I enjoy living here but I can see why some people may not.

Good luck on your move to Canada and hope its all you hope for, after all you want the best for you and your kids and gave Nz your best shot....
Old May 19th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed reading your post.... thanks for being so honest Rachel. I can agree with you on so many points that you mention. I hope your move goes ok and you will be happier in your new home. I wish you all the best. SarahB
Old May 19th 2007, 8:49 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rascal
Try telling a 14 yr & 12 yr old we are off to the beach.......again!
Try telling a 14 yr and 12 yr old anything.
Old May 19th 2007, 9:44 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Try telling a 14 yr and 12 yr old anything.

Rachel - I think your post was well written and also balanced. I liked the way you told us that NZ is no longer for you, the faults it has for you, BUT that you have also enjoyed your time there. Most certainly not negative. I can see how one could see some of the things listed as 'trivial', but at the end of the day, for many people at least, it's the small things that matter and daily life is important.

Good luck in Nova Scotia. House prices and styles are definitely attractive IMO!
Old May 19th 2007, 11:46 am
NS covern member #1

Thanks for getting it, even if only in part! We are brave folk (us, ex-pats), it can feel like the final frontier at times!!

I will forever be an All BLacks fan

Yep, that is it, there are only so many times we can go to the beach and make drift wood forts............but to be able to do so is priceless also. We are on a life journey to create memories and limitless horizons for our children. They will never forget being barefoot in the rain, or getting a giant $1 ice cream from the Diary or driving to the top of a volcano and so many other things. We have had a baby here in this time, and that roots us to this place in so many ways. We will leave here, forget all those niggles and remember the freedoms and the ingenius 8 gage mentality.

And we move forward to live our real life in another setting, with all that it will bring - eyes wide open.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

On some level I assumed that things would be very similar to the UK way of life (regarding work hours, regulations, benefits, annual leave etc) it wasnt until we got here that these things became apparent. We were always hearing that people here worked to live rather than the other way about - but with 3 weeks annual leave each year, until recently, I cant see how that can be. We had 5-7 weeks in the NHS trust we worked for previously.
Hi Rachel, not sure if the link posted below is of any relevance to you, but you may be interested to read it if you haven't already done so.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434624

Good luck to you and your family.
Old May 19th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

And for Rascal, hate to have to say BBQ Xmases and beaches are very very Aussie! So get used to more! I have to add I never, ever had a BBQ Xmas dinner in NZ... it's way more an Aussie thing.
You must see things on your PC that I dont KC?
I dont remember typing about Xmas BBQ's. As for beaches, well yes, they are ok, in small doses, not every weekend!
OZ still has variety and a road system to enable you to get to places, NZ doesn't have much of that.
Still it has ONE Theme park.
Old May 19th 2007, 1:14 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Yes, but they are mostly banal, trite reasons as i said (in my opinion only !) !!!!!!!
My reasons are lifestyle reasons that are shared by millions here.

You don't move across the world based on problems getting "properly measured shoes", if it that important to you, you do something about it , geez !!!

And saying to Teenagers in Canada, "lets go to the frozen pond in the pine forest", do you really think they will say "oooh yes, lets share a family experience, pater" ?

I must admit that i would be tempted by the cheap houses there, though, albeit icy cold ones with a white garden for most of the year.

horses for courses ..... what may be banal to you isimportant to others.

Personally I'd rather eat my dirty socks daily than live in NZ, the weather, the remoteness etc etc

and yes .... the weather comes high up for me, hot weather makes me feel better - therefore enhancing my life and keeping me happy. So banal to you .... but essential to me.

Good luck to Poppy for leaving, your resons arent "banal" at all - and having a toys R Us closeby and shoes you can fit when you have kids is great .... I miss it too. Having it shipped to you is hardly the same!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.