sorry Rant

Old May 23rd 2017, 2:47 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default sorry Rant

Why may I need my DD, who is 15 years old, permission to be given her blood tests results. She's my DD, she's under my care, she cannot vote, buy alcohol, fireworks, rent a property. She has only legally been allowed to be left alone for a year. She cannot join the Forces, can't buy a lotto ticket she can't even make a will. Why is then that she is deemed old enough to deal with medical issues??

Why doesn't the GP get the Consultants results only if they request them?? How will they know there are results to be requested...???

and yes I did get a over view of the results which are what they were on the previous occasion we had them done and they still want another set done in 6 months. Either she has a autoimmune disease or she doesn't.....
Old May 23rd 2017, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: sorry Rant

When I get tests done, I just go back to the lab (in my case Medlab) and ask for them. They print them out and hand them to me?
Old May 24th 2017, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

smudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond reputesmudge1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I also used to request a copy of the results every time I went for a blood test. I believe they are legally required to send you a copy if you request it. I found it very useful for following up on things that might otherwise have been overlooked....
Old May 24th 2017, 7:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smudge1
Yes, I also used to request a copy of the results every time I went for a blood test. I believe they are legally required to send you a copy if you request it. I found it very useful for following up on things that might otherwise have been overlooked....
We are not talking about results for your own tests, but for results of someone else.

The thing is that at the age of 15 those results are private and can only be seen by the clinician or patient, it's all to do with patient confidentiality, at her age she may be having tests done for something she doesn't want her parents to now about, it's the same in the UK, above a certain age the results are only available to the patient unless they specify otherwise.

Not saying that this is the case here, but there are people of that age who may be undergoing tests for pregnancy or STDs and that is the reason for the non disclosure of the results to anyone other than the patient.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:38 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the non disclosure but to have it at an age when most kids are still at home and not able to vote is ludicrous.
If a child is seeing professionals secretly I would hope it would be looked at as to why and steps are made to include the parents.
None of the Dr's or hospital visits has my DD attended alone. And we are dealing with issues that parents really do need to know about as it affects day to day life and behaviours. I feel it is far to dangerous for a child this age not being able to get the help at home as well as professionally.

People really can't have it both ways, Blame the parents for kids actions til they are 18+ but then leave them out of the loop of any issues a kid may be dealing with under that age. Know wonder we hear things like, "wouldn't be my kid their not that sort of child"
Old May 24th 2017, 8:56 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What we have here is that when we registered with our GP we filled in a form that allowed the GP to discuss any tests, results and treatment with named people, in our case with husbands or wife, surely there could be some such thing done so you can see results pertaining to that illness, maybe not all, but ones that do affect that illness and follow ups. That would sort out the problem.
Old May 24th 2017, 9:08 pm

I agree Mike and I did get the results, it needs to be looked at on a case to case basis. In this case we are talking tests the Consultant asked for to be redone against what the GP's results were, pertaining to an autoimmune condition and whether DD should be ongoing with injections or not.
Old May 27th 2017, 11:33 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I have **every** sympathy with rants about the bureaucratic nature of health institutions, the frustration of being in the system and not being treated like an individual, etc. For that you have my complete sympathy and I hope it works out for the best. Fifteen year olds are still so young and need so much input from parents. Our daughter had some troubling health issues mid-teens and I know how worrying and distressing it is, so rant away.

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I can understand the non disclosure but to have it at an age when most kids are still at home and not able to vote is ludicrous.
If a child is seeing professionals secretly I would hope it would be looked at as to why and steps are made to include the parents.
But having said that, I cannot agree with this. It's not that she's deemed old enough to deal with her medical issues but that this need for her to consent to you receiving them is a consequence of a very important safeguard that protects young people.