Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sorry Off Topic - Where to go for our summer hols???

Sorry Off Topic - Where to go for our summer hols???

Old May 28th 2007, 10:01 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sorry Off Topic - Where to go for our summer hols???

Ok so we won't be in NZ in july/aug and i've got 2 weeks hols booked so what i'd like is any recommendations for a nice family holiday

(within about 4-5 hours flying time of uk)

1. country
2. resorts
3. hotels

Here's what we like...
quiet ish resorts
few shops, bars, resturants
walk along beach
watersports

had a look on the internet and it's a mine field...so any info greatly received

thanks
Old May 28th 2007, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry Off Topic - Where to go for our summer hols???

I'd go for a Sunsail or Neilsen beach club holiday in Turkey or Greece. We used to do them every year, much more fun doing all the watersports than just lying by the pool and very kid-friendly (ie they take them off your hands for the whole day). They're usually a walk or short taxi-ride from some sort of town, but check out their website.
Old May 29th 2007, 1:31 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say go somewhere a bit more exotic, somewhere that you're unlikely to be able to afford when you're in NZ.

Better still.....just have a nice couple of weeks somewhere in the UK and then make a really long stopover on the way out to NZ ?
Old May 29th 2007, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Ok so we won't be in NZ in july/aug and i've got 2 weeks hols booked so what i'd like is any recommendations for a nice family holiday
Plot a trip around Britain and Ireland to see all the places you think you should have been too but never have - visit family and friends, see castles, visit the herry coo's in Glen Coe, ride on the train up Snowdon, catch a ferry to Ireland, walk in the Yorkshire Dales. Take the kids for a good trip around their homeland so that they have memories of what it is like at "home" once they have immigrated.

Think outside the square, there is no need to do as you have always done, as soon you won't be =)
Old May 29th 2007, 2:34 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try Tunisia - we had a fantastic Honeymoon there. We stayed in Port El kantoui. Lots to do if you want or you can just sit and vegetate.
Old May 29th 2007, 3:48 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Apple13
Plot a trip around Britain and Ireland to see all the places you think you should have been too but never have - visit family and friends, see castles, visit the herry coo's in Glen Coe, ride on the train up Snowdon, catch a ferry to Ireland, walk in the Yorkshire Dales. Take the kids for a good trip around their homeland so that they have memories of what it is like at "home" once they have immigrated.

Think outside the square, there is no need to do as you have always done, as soon you won't be =)
Sounds good!

Old May 29th 2007, 7:46 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

my kids aged 15 & 13 want to go abroad this year as they didn't get a holiday last year as i was in NZ...don't think they'd forgive me if i said we're going away to the uk, but it does sound a good idea. I always liked the sound of a canal boat!!!

keep the ideas coming people!!!

thank you
Old May 29th 2007, 7:48 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

my kids aged 15 & 13 want to go abroad this year as they didn't get a holiday last year as i was in NZ...don't think they'd forgive me if i said we're going away to the uk, but it does sound a good idea. I always liked the sound of a canal boat!!!

thank you

Tell your kids you are going abroad forever, canal boating is fab
Old May 29th 2007, 10:31 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

1. country
2. resorts
3. hotels

Here's what we like...
quiet ish resorts
few shops, bars, resturants
walk along beach
watersports

had a look on the internet and it's a mine field...so any info greatly received

thanks
OK, this doesn't really tick your boxes but I would thoroughly recommend a Nile cruise. We decided to go last year as we thought it would be cheaper to do from Britain than from NZ. We spent a week on the Nile from Luxor to Aswan and back, taking in the sights. One of the best holidays I have ever had. Most of the river boats have pools on them, lay on entertainment and give you a choice of which tour/sightseeing package suits you. If you are a fan of Egypt, you have to do this once in your life!
Surprisingly cheap I thought!
Old May 29th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

i must agree i loved tunisia and there is so much to see and do, shopping is fab if you love leather goods, you can get some really nice bags etc, or palma in majorca, the city is lovely and lots going on, you can still get to the beach, or one of the local towns, the buses run frequently or on the train up the mountain to the little town.( sorry cannot remember the name i think it might be solar or something like that) or how about scotland, we have been a couple of times once to john o groats and along the northern coast, the weather was great and a nice relaxing week, and another time to edinburgh and glasgow, again so much to see and do.

i do like going abroad on holiday but there is so much in the uk to see and do, even more if the weather is good, another few places are the lake district, northumberland, this is where i live and nearly every weekend we go out for the day to see the sites, there are loads of market towns, and walking and places of interest.

hope that this helps a bit

with regards

kirstie
Old May 29th 2007, 2:51 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
Meh, just blindfold them until you get to your "foreign destination"

I actually regret not even stepping foot in Scotland the whole time I lived in the UK. I've also never been to the Lake District, which I always wanted to do. Go on and do some touristy stuff in the UK. Who's to say when the next time is you'll all be able to come back and indulge yourselves?
Old May 29th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

thank you
why don't u try salou in costa dorada.we went last year for one week and we loved it that much we're going back this year for 2 weeks!we stayed in the town la pineda (5 mins bus away from salou) & are staying in a great apts called pineda park.
There is also the great port aventura theme park which is great for all ages (we have 2 kids 4 & 6)and spent 4 out of our 7 days there and still didn't see it all! you can buy a 14 day pass for £48 each which is fantastic value & all u have to pay for afterwards is your food!

can't wait till 8th july!!!
Old May 29th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

if you do fancy a holiday in the uk have you tried using the tourist information offices to book b&b's we did this for the lake district and we ended up in a converted barn and the room was really lovely and the people looked after us really well, that was close to windermere , and at the bottom of the lane it has a village pub with home cooked food which was to die for. and then we went onto keswick, the good thing about it is you never know where you are staying so its a bit of an adventure, but we have never had a bad one yet.

what ever you do have a lovely time

kirstie
Old May 30th 2007, 3:10 am
Just Joined

gemz is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=camacazi;4846513]why don't u try salou in costa dorada.we went last year for one week and we loved it that much we're going back this year for 2 weeks!we stayed in the town la pineda (5 mins bus away from salou) & are staying in a great apts called pineda park.
There is also the great port aventura theme park which is great for all ages (we have 2 kids 4 & 6)and spent 4 out of our 7 days there and still didn't see it all! you can buy a 14 day pass for £48 each which is fantastic value & all u have to pay for afterwards is your food!

can't wait till 8th july!!![/QUOTE

Huh!!! We are going there 12th of June and staying at the golden avenida in salou. We have the 14 day passes for portaventura. How much spending money would u recommend?? 2 adults a 11 yr old and 2 yr old?
Old May 30th 2007, 4:48 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frattonlad
<snip>
Really not a good idea to post real names and telephone numbers in forums - hope you don't get any nuisance calls - I would suggest you asked a moderator to remove the name and number and ask people to PM you for it. Just a little safer. Not wanting to sound like your Mum

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 1st 2007 at 6:18 am. Reason: remove personal details

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.