Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sorry im new to this, help req pls :)

Sorry im new to this, help req pls :)

Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:09 am
Just Joined

suntzu20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry im new to this, help req pls :)

Hi, sorry if any of this sounds stupid but im new to this site,

Iv been thinking about leaving the UK to work elsewhere, now what i wanted to ask was are their any agencys that can help sort out a job before "taking the plunge"?

I noticed last year in my area there were job roadshow kinda things for AU and NZ and the people there helped you out finding a job and how to go about it all ect. sadly i was happy in my job at the time,

I currenty work in I.T Support (Contracting) and have done for the past few years, (im 23)

any advise on how to get started would be great, thanks
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry im new to this, help req pls :)

Originally Posted by suntzu20

Iv been thinking about leaving the UK to work elsewhere, now what i wanted to ask was are their any agencys that can help sort out a job before "taking the plunge"?

I noticed last year in my area there were job roadshow kinda things for AU and NZ and the people there helped you out finding a job and how to go about it all ect. sadly i was happy in my job at the time,

I currenty work in I.T Support (Contracting) and have done for the past few years, (im 23)

Hi and welcome to the site!

There are loads of companies only too willing to take your money and promise you the earth and some deliver, some don't. If you work in IT, i'd recommend getting onto seek.co.nz and doing a search of jobs within your field of expertise. Then send your CV across for any vacancies you fancy, following that up a week later by calling the agency direct. I found that if you actually speak to the agency direct and tell them of you commitment towards coming to NZ they work with you to get a job. The likely hood however is that you'll still need to be in NZ to get an interview. I came over here with my family in August on a holiday visa and got a job offer within 3 weeks with Telecom (I also work in IT). Applied for all my visa's whilst over here and am happily sorted. SO you may if serious about the move have to break all ties and just come over here. At present there are lots of IT vacancies.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:34 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Hi, sorry if any of this sounds stupid but im new to this site.
It's OK.

I've been thinking about leaving the UK to work elsewhere. Now what i wanted to ask was are their any agencys[sic] that can help sort out a job before "taking the plunge"?
Yes, there are agencies that recruit qualified IT personnel.

I noticed last year in my area there were job roadshow kinda things for AU and NZ and the people there helped you out finding a job and how to go about it all etc.
That's nice.

Sadly, I was happy in my job at the time.
There's a whole world of psychoanalysis contained in that statement...

I'm currently working in I.T Support (Contracting) and have done for the past few years, (I'm 23).

any advise[sic] on how to get started would be great, thanks
First you should get your CV into shape.
Second step, there's this search engine called google. You may want to consider using this internet search facility to explore which companies are involved in the kind of work that you do.
Third step, contact these companies to see if they have any work going. You will find that you will get knocked back a bit, but keep it up and you may land an interview.
That's a start.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

If youre under 30 you can get a working holiday visa without too much hassle.

There are also immigration expos next year where agents and prospective employers will be present. Stay away from any "employment agent" that promises to get a job for you if you pay them a fee upfront. Reputable agencies get their fees from the companies, not the jobseekers.

Look at the NZIS website to see if you qualify for permanent residency.

seek.co.nz is a good starting point to see what kind of jobs are available in your field.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 10:37 am
Just Joined

ok interesting, so how long can you get a working holiday visa for? for does it depend?
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:55 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

ok interesting, so how long can you get a working holiday visa for? for does it depend?
Work holiday visa is good for a year, I believe.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:59 am
Just Joined

ok thanks, that might be a good idea just so i can get an idea of how i feel about living over there
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

ok thanks, that might be a good idea just so i can get an idea of how i feel about living over there
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm

check out the NZIS website for more info...some info at the link above...

tchnically you are not supposed to work too long for a single employer, but i dont know how strict anybody is about enforcing that.
for the UK scheme it seems to be for a max of 23 months.

After 23 months you may have enough points to qualify for permanent residence as well
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

so, does anyone know about doing I.T contracting in NZ, iv looked at contracts but i cant seem to find out how it works over there,
anyone do it?