Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

sorry to hear about the further Christchurch rumbles today .

sorry to hear about the further Christchurch rumbles today .

Old Dec 26th 2010, 5:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default sorry to hear about the further Christchurch rumbles today .

We heard on the news about the further Christchurch rumbles . Can't have been fun as it is reported that they were shallow. Just to say I hope you are all feeling OK . It's a rotten thing to happen just as maybe you were all relaxing after the big one (s) and it particularly cruel that it has hit over this festive period.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 6:43 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sorry to hear about the further Christchurch rumbles today .

Thanks BEVS!!!

I live/work in city centre & I must say it really scared the sh*t out of moi!!!

I ran to work at 2am... And have been working pretty much non stop until 8pm!

While the hotel I work is one of the safest building in the city it really shook us! I was in the basement at 10:30 when the 4.9 hit & man wasn't thrown off!!!

It's been a long day, making sure all my staff were OK & helping scared guests out of the city....

A few noticeable damages within the CBD!!! It's sad... We were getting used to normal life!!!
Old Dec 26th 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Thanks for your concern Bevs. Definately mental torture. Just decided to hang up our pictures Thurs, so blame us. Was actually Skyping my cousin in UK when the 10.30 one hit so he got a scoop from 12,000 miles. Got to say 4,000+ is more than enough for any city. Time for it to move on now
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:59 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We heard on the news about the further Christchurch rumbles . Can't have been fun as it is reported that they were shallow. Just to say I hope you are all feeling OK . It's a rotten thing to happen just as maybe you were all relaxing after the big one (s) and it particularly cruel that it has hit over this festive period.
Ditto....just heard it on BBC 24hr news channel, hope you're all safe
Old Dec 26th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH rang me from ChCh at 6.50am this morning to say all ok, as he wasn't sure if it had been reported and I was worrying! He had been called out to the Mall at Riccarton, as ceilings were down and a glass shop front had shifted a couple of inches (he's a chippy). He was expecting to work until around midnight. My son was working in that Mall when it happened.

All quite scary stuff. I did ask him to make an 'earthquake' plan with my son in case another biggy happened and mobile networks were down. He has now done that.

I'm not really sure if I would prefer to be there with them (I scare easily!!) or if I prefer worrying 12000 miles away.

However, I just hope that the scientists are right and it is all just the settling down process from September.

Stay safe everyone and here's to a MUCH quieter 2011! :f ingerscrossed:
Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't feeling them near Rangiora/Oxford way, as they seem to be concentrated around the new Greendale fault. But a mate was in Borders opposite Riccarton Mall when it struck and she was plainly terrified, judging from what she was saying.

It would seem that the new fault does end under the ChCH CBD. Not very comforting. The problem is, that it took so much energy to shift the ground during the biggie that the ground has stored energy due to its new configuration, and some of it still has to be released. The feeling is that it's not all done yet... (some of my colleagues are structural and geotech earthquake engineers)

Apparently, Christchurch used to be regarded as the safest low-risk earthquake area in New Zealand. Hmmmmmm........

Jan
Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matewx
Thanks BEVS!!!

I live/work in city centre & I must say it really scared the sh*t out of moi!!!

I ran to work at 2am... And have been working pretty much non stop until 8pm!

While the hotel I work is one of the safest building in the city it really shook us! I was in the basement at 10:30 when the 4.9 hit & man wasn't thrown off!!!

It's been a long day, making sure all my staff were OK & helping scared guests out of the city....

A few noticeable damages within the CBD!!! It's sad... We were getting used to normal life!!!
Don't know which one it is, but the big Crowne Plaza is built in four sections - to move internally in the event of an earthquake.

Apparently the architect who designed the structure was actually staying there on the night of the big one.

His verdict: "it worked"

Jan
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:14 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a bit worried as we are going on holiday to Christchurch on 8th January! booked it up by the way before the earthquake
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
I am a bit worried as we are going on holiday to Christchurch on 8th January! booked it up by the way before the earthquake
You'll be fine, where are you staying. It is a bit like being in the bumper cars at the fair ground! First you hear the noise and then feel the shunt. We are getting used to them, well the smaller ones anyway. Just when we thought it was safe and getting better. Hope they stay away for the duration of your holiday, we are escaping to Nelson for ours!