British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Sorry another question about flights... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/sorry-another-question-about-flights-785314/)

kingacat Jan 27th 2013 6:33 pm

Sorry another question about flights...

Am visiting the UK in May and am planning to fly with AirNZ. There are flights via LA and Hong Kong. Can anyone recommend a route? I won't have much luggage and there's just me travelling.
Thanks for any help

MrsFychan Jan 27th 2013 6:45 pm

Re: Sorry another question about flights...

I think if you are fixed with flying with AirNZ then its all about connection times. which route offers you the better connection for you ?

cappuccino Jan 28th 2013 5:40 am

The Hong Kong/Heathrow route will cease to be Air New Zealand from March and will be replaced with code share Cathay Pacific.

LA is horrible - do a search on here for people's experiences of LA transit lounge!

kingacat Jan 28th 2013 5:44 am

Found a really good deal with Malaysian airlines so going with them. Thanks for your help

Catchafire Jan 28th 2013 6:07 am

A stop over in KL is well worth it or even week! Easy flight to Koh Samui from KL.

AndyRuth Jan 28th 2013 9:06 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10509491)
The Hong Kong/Heathrow route will cease to be Air New Zealand from March and will be replaced with code share Cathay Pacific.

LA is horrible - do a search on here for people's experiences of LA transit lounge!

AARGH !!! LA transit lounge is great , as we appreciated , if you have young kids and want to keep an eye on them , free coffee/tea and snacks too !! Hong Kong was a bit of a mare for us , hot sticky and thrown out into a crazy airport for 2 hours to kill , all depends on your circumstances I suppose.

cappuccino Jan 28th 2013 9:13 am

Originally Posted by AndyRuth (Post 10509759)
AARGH !!! LA transit lounge is great , as we appreciated , if you have young kids and want to keep an eye on them , free coffee/tea and snacks too !! Hong Kong was a bit of a mare for us , hot sticky and thrown out into a crazy airport for 2 hours to kill , all depends on your circumstances I suppose.

I'm pleased you had a good experience in LA, but most people don't. I've learnt how to get the best out of Hong Kong airport (showers, free internet etc..) but that's my preference as I don't have young children to worry about.

sr71 Jan 28th 2013 12:11 pm

Think it depends who you fly with for LA, Air NZ is really not that bad at all. The terminal is fine.

concretepump Jan 28th 2013 1:42 pm

air newzealand, are building a new lounge, in lax should be open 2014, that will make things better, this time we were able to go into the lounge

Persephone Jan 28th 2013 6:58 pm

Through choice I would avoid LA, just personal preference. Don't like being herded off the plane, having to queue up to have passport checked, be photographed and fingerprinted only to sit in a room for 1-2 hours and then back onto the same plane. Worst one I did had me queue up for at least an hour, finally be allowed entrance only to sit down and immediately get boarded again. So I spent the whole 'break' in a queue:frown:

Yes you get free drinks and snacks but you gotta admit it does feel like you're being treated as a criminal just a teensy little bit. It's not like you can escape anywhere:confused:

I'll always choose to travel via Asia now, especially as last time I went Emirates was cheaper than AirNZ and it flies direct from Dubai to Newcastle:thumbsup: