Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

Old Jul 9th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

Hello I am so with your SWMBO my heart is set on Mission Bay and immediate surrounds and nowhere else! It is just so lovely round there! My new job is in Parnell and the location is far enough out of the city but I think that the Mission Bay/Orakei area is still close enough to cycle/run in every day and be near the beach (having commuted for 10 long years it is time to rediscover my cycling skills ) I have been spoiled in Brighton where we live literally round the corner from the beach and now I can't imagine settling for anything less

Our friends live in Ellerslie and have suggested Mission Bay, Orakei, St Heliers and any of the bay areas round there. Just to give you an idea, we have been eyeing up a 2 bed house for $480 pw in Mission Bay 2 bed with a rumpus room (I translate that as box room but hubby assures me that it isn't!) garden, drive, room for the dog, near the beach etc. So no, not as cheap as some areas but we are prepared to pay for the lifestyle we want.

Very best of luck with the move and see you over there!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:17 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

SWMBO was how Rumpole of the Bailey (a fictional t.v. show in the 1980's in Britain) referred to his wife. My sister's then boyfriend used to call her SWoMBO (as it was easier to say) to her face !
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Rumpus room is usually large open space, usually under the house

Last edited by dorrick; Jul 10th 2010 at 7:22 am.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:18 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to live in Mission Bay/St Heliers....

But I dont want to buy a car, so am stuffed!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 1:48 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Matewx - thought about a scooter? I laughed myself inside out when the good lady suggested one, but after seeing the one her cousin has in Wellington (50kph max, about $1000 brand new with all the kit, free parking and $5/wk fuel) I'm starting to see the sense in it. For her that is. I'm still hoping to have the "dive wagon" for weekends and get the train to work!

Londonescapee - those were about the numbers we were looking at for a house in that area, maybe a bit more. I completely agree, it's worth paying a smidge more and getting the lifestyle if you can stretch to it. Might as well enjoy yourself, eh?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Toon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to allToon_Nut is a name known to all

[QUOTE=teeym;8701135]Matewx - thought about a scooter? /QUOTE]

Just bought the wife one, she's got no itention of learing to drive but I was a little worried she might feel isolated when we get there as we don't know what the public transport system will be like?

http://www.motorbike-warehouse.co.uk...#anchmainimage

She's now searching the net, looking for a pink crash helmet!

Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teeym

Londonescapee - those were about the numbers we were looking at for a house in that area, maybe a bit more. I completely agree, it's worth paying a smidge more and getting the lifestyle if you can stretch to it. Might as well enjoy yourself, eh?
I couldn't agree more, what's the point in moving all the way over there to live in some hovel - I can do that in London just as easily and pay double for the privilege! Hopefully house will be ours - just filling in the application form now after a good friend looked round for us and said what a great price it was for the area. HIDEOUS carpet but then it is just a starter home and small price to pay for a lovely area and peace of mind - that is priceless imo Quite complicated tho, not sure how many references we are supposed to give

Good luck with househunting
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of

I am in Highland park- on the edge of the lovely Howick, and very near to cockle bay, but much cheaper.

The schools affect the house prices. Next to us in Pakauranga, again some very nice streets (and a few that you might decide against instantly!)

good luck !