Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:49 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

I could bore you with a long story of moving house, dead computers, TalkTalk killing my phone connection permanently and what not*, but that would just be dull. So let me just update you on what has happened in the mean time:

1) We FINALLY got the house sold.

2) We spoke to recruitment agents, who suggested we should come back to NZ for a chat with a few people.

3) We did.

4) We got jobs.

5) We leave on the 25th.

Brief, yes - but that is pretty much as it went. Literally 4 days after stepping off the plane, we both had job offers subject to references, and by the time we left another 8 days later, we'd signed our lives away, promising to come back and be industrious for the good of New Zealand from August onwards. I just can't believe how fantastically lucky we have been with the way that things have slotted together so far.

SWMBO is going to be gainfully employed just off Queen St in the centre of Auckland and I'm going to be plying my trade down in Mt Wellington (to quote our Kiwi friends in Hamilton: "Jafa Poms - does it get any worse?" ). This means finding somewhere roughly in between to rent.

We had a quick look around the nice, sensible areas (Ellerslie, Green Lane, One Tree Hill, Remuera, Epsom) on the last day or two of the trip and all was going swimmingly until I took SWMBO down to St Heliers for a bite to eat. She is now going to live near the seaside. End. Zippit. The only compromise being considered is that if I REALLY don't think I can afford it, I can sod off and live somewhere else without her.........

So to them folks what is in the proverbial "know" - HELP! From the people I spoke to in NZ St. Heliers, Kohi, Mission Bay and Orakei all seem to get the thumbs up from most quarters. Slightly mixed reviews - although mostly positive - go to Meadowbank and Glendowie, whilst when I've mentioned Wai o Taiki Bay, St Johns and Glen Innes, peoples' responses have varied from them being decent "up-and-coming" areas where you get more for your $ to simply laughing.

Any pointers that can be offered will be greatly appreciated as we'll only have 10 days when we arrive before starting work, so would like to focus the search as much as possible from the off. Not least because that will give me more time to go car shopping.

*namely me being a complete spud and losing my username/password
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

just wanted to say well done and congrats on the jobs! its really happening for you now.
sorry cant comment on the areas you're thinking of, but can relate to wanting to live near the sea!!
hence we are in Cockle bay. its beautiful around here, and close to our jobs!

when we arrived in Auckland, we quickly drove around all the areas during the day, and at night, to see where we actually preferred (all quite close by so do-able in one day) and contactd all the local Realty agents in the area we wanted, registered with them, and got up to date rental lists. also keep checking on Trade me. the house we are renting, we found on there- not with an agent!

good luck!! and see you on t'other side
jax
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:57 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you back and great news with the jobs All systems go for you guys then.

Sorry no use on location, but the best of luck with all your plans

Will add you to the stampede of August leavers

Dewb

Last edited by Dewb09; Jul 8th 2010 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:03 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I can't help with areas of Auckland either. But also wanted to add my congratulations. Have some Kiwi Karma.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:13 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm SWMBO has quite a ring to it. I might just borrow that one off you.

I still can't get my head around people that fly over for interviews... seems even madder than just emigrating... but hey you've proved it works, so, Good On Yer!

WP
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Sorry for the absence.....what's Auckland like then?

All lovely areas ,but very pricey .My husband and I always say that once the kids have flown the nest we will buy a little apartment overlooking the sea at Mission Bay .Well a girl can dream cant she ?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:33 pm
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Hmmm SWMBO has quite a ring to it. I might just borrow that one off you.

WP
whats SWMBO

Dewb
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:35 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewb09
whats SWMBO

Dewb
She Who Must Be Obeyed !!

(I did have to look it up though)

WP with a GSOH!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:40 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
She Who Must Be Obeyed !!

(I did have to look it up though)

WP with a GSOH!
must make sure the hubster is aware of that

Dewb SWDMBO (Ok I made up the definitely bit)
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Yes Meadowbank ,Glendowie, St Johns( some bits St J close to GI) bit cheaper than waterfront suburbs - still easy drive, bike, or even slightly longer walk to beach. Wai o taki and GI stilll tend to be lower income areas but some nice bits. Ellerslie has lots of nice bits too. Check our public transport too.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:53 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Hi, I live in St Johns Park - next to Meadowbank, 10 mins to St Helliers / Mission Bay / Mt Wellington (in fact had a walk along the St Helliers beach yesterday ) - Its a wonderful part of Auck to bring up kids if u have 'em .. been here a year and have had no hassle at all, theres a lot of European and South African migrants here, had street parties etc - if I didn't have kids though I would probably think it a little too quiet where I am (Just off Norman Lesser Drive - google it) - theres a bit more life in Remuera - Uplands Road area .. and is still nicely out of the city centre ..
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teeym
So to them folks what is in the proverbial "know" - HELP! From the people I spoke to in NZ St. Heliers, Kohi, Mission Bay and Orakei all seem to get the thumbs up from most quarters. Slightly mixed reviews - although mostly positive - go to Meadowbank and Glendowie, whilst when I've mentioned Wai o Taiki Bay, St Johns and Glen Innes, peoples' responses have varied from them being decent "up-and-coming" areas where you get more for your $ to simply laughing.
It really depends what you are looking for in a house (size) - St Helliers and Kohi etc are affordable if you are not looking to house a large family and have a sea view. When we moved across we initially rented in St Heliers I still love the area and we are often in the area, but is is quiet and if you need to get a taxi home from town it is expensive. It depends what you are looking for.

We finally bought our home in Mission Bay / Orakei - it is not massive but we have all the space we need, have a private garden, huge garage and we can walk to the beach easily and we love it. What I would say is that if you are close to Tamaki Drive either at Kohi, St Heliers or Mission Bay it can be quite busy and noisy into the night especially in the summer.

I would definately say rent first and see if the area is right for you. A quick visit is very different to living their full time. Good luck with the move and welcome.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:18 am
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dewb09
Nice to see you back and great news with the jobs All systems go for you guys then.

Sorry no use on location, but the best of luck with all your plans

Will add you to the stampede of August leavers

Dewb
Dewb - July leavers please - 16 days and counting!!!

Cheers for all the feedback and good wishes so far folks - a lot to consider. It is just me and SWMBO (no sproglets or intention thereof) so to start with as long as it has two+ bedrooms, keeps the rain off and is somewhere near wet stuff (would rather not be on Tamaki drive for reasons mentioned by Nero) then I'm not too bothered.

Personally, I like Orakei and Meadowbank due to the station proximity as both of us have jobs within walking distance of train stops. That would allow us to get away with running just the one car, which would seriously crimp monthly outgoings. Not to mention the ease of getting into town should we ever feel like doing the "bright lights" thing of an evening. I do however realise that the process will involve looking at places, her falling in love with one and that will be it - therefore my task is simply to prevent her seeing the ones in the first place that would be a logistical nightmare.

Her task in return is to stop me convincing myself that the Lada Niva that's on Trademe at the moment is a good choice of car for us........
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:25 am
Lord of The Pies

Actually, speaking of Trademe - is there anyway you can get an account set up with them before you have a Kiwi address? There are a couple if cars on there that I'd wouldn't mind having a look at who have left no visible contacts other than via the website itself. I suspect there isn't, but any advice to the contrary would be most welcome.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 3:13 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by teeym
Dewb - July leavers please - 16 days and counting!!!

OMG sorry just assumed August

Good luck

Dewb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.