Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Sony tv....buy here or wait until get to NZ??

Sony tv....buy here or wait until get to NZ??

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sony tv....buy here or wait until get to NZ??

Question on behalf of my OH....he wants to get a Sony KDL46W4500, a flat screen tv thingy( not a technical person me!!) However,he is trying to find out if we get it here can it be adjusted to work in NZ to the Pal B/G format that is broadcast there. His thinking is that surely Sony don't make the same models of tv to slightly different specifications for different countries or do they? He really wants to get it for Xmas if possible but if it looks unlikely he will be able to adjust it then it will need to wait.He has emailed Sony but they have been very cagey and non-commital with their answers Any advice welcome

Phyl x
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:18 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sony tv....buy here or wait until get to NZ??

Originally Posted by weejie
Question on behalf of my OH....he wants to get a Sony KDL46W4500, a flat screen tv thingy( not a technical person me!!) However,he is trying to find out if we get it here can it be adjusted to work in NZ to the Pal B/G format that is broadcast there. His thinking is that surely Sony don't make the same models of tv to slightly different specifications for different countries or do they? He really wants to get it for Xmas if possible but if it looks unlikely he will be able to adjust it then it will need to wait.He has emailed Sony but they have been very cagey and non-commital with their answers Any advice welcome

Phyl x

Look here to compare prices

www.noelleeming.co.nz
www.ferrit.co.nz

We bought our Sony over with us, with no problems in it working at all

Happy shopping
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

dunno about sony tv - we bought a humax pvr (like sky plus but without the sky!) last year thinking we were 'future proofing' for move to nz... (been filling the hard disk with hours of films and good kids tv!!!) nz have just announced they're going with mpeg 4 format not mpeg 2 which humax uses... bah.... anyone want to buy a pvr?!?!?!?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Phyl x
Bear in mind that it could get nicked by the removal company!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:55 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

If I read Sony's technical spec correctly, this TV has a built in standard definition terrestrial freeview tuner.

NZ freeview is NOT the same as UK freeview.

NZ standard definition freeview is satellite based

FreeviewHD (HI DEF) is terrestrial based but uses MPEG4 coding which I think is different from that used in the UK

Also note that broadcast analog tv in the UK is UHF based, but in NZ is spread across UHF and VHF. Whilst both use PAL, I belive there is a difference in the sound separation. I'm told that most modern TVs will cope with this but you never know.

If its a matter of buying a new TV, my advice would be to wait till you arrive in NZ, That way you'll be sure to get something technically compatible with NZ systems.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 1:47 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I'd wait....you can get good flat screen TV's here for around $1000 (haven't checked how much your model would cost) but that seems about the same you'd pay in the UK.

If you buy here the guarentee will be fine, and it won't get damaged during transport and you'll have it now instead of in the 6-12 weeks it would take to ship.

Like Naki says any on board technology will work here too if you buy the set here (sure you can always connect via scart or composite to an external box but why bother if you can buy it in the set - less cables!)

...and it'll give your OH something to do whilst you're out buying all those 101 things ladies seem to need to buy :-)
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:48 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

regarding cost -it says on the sony site the tv would be $3999.00 here incl GST.

My understanding is that if it doesn't work it can be at least used to play DVD's on??

Even if it works out cheaper to buy in the UK that is still a bl**dy expensive way to buy a telly which can only be used for Finding Nemo or Playstation!

Buy it in NZ. Not to mention the fact it could be easily damaged in transit I would imagine???
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

we brought our warfdale 42" plasma over 6 months ago.
its about 12 months old now and it worked fine.
no problems with the sound at all.
built in freeview DOES NOT work.
On my tv i just pessed auto set up and it did the rest.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

a 46 inch telly is pretty big to ship

wait till you get to nz
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjddavies
Bear in mind that it could get nicked by the removal company!
What have removal companies stolen things like this before??
Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Badass Barrass will become famous soon enough

My 40 " Sony Bravia would not work until we put sky through it. The sound failed to work despite being told by the salesman that it was multi regional etc. Check the finer details before buying! Mind you sky is great down here so we are happy.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badass Barrass
My 40 " Sony Bravia would not work until we put sky through it. The sound failed to work despite being told by the salesman that it was multi regional etc. Check the finer details before buying! Mind you sky is great down here so we are happy.
Thanks for reply,here is what Sony UK told us in an email,it may help you

......take this to New Zealand with you, you would need to select a Country that uses PAL B/G, an example of this would be Germany. Alternatively select the dash (-), this will force the television to scan the entire bandwidth for a signal.

Phyl
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Superwoman x 5 will become famous soon enoughSuperwoman x 5 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for reply,here is what Sony UK told us in an email,it may help you

......take this to New Zealand with you, you would need to select a Country that uses PAL B/G, an example of this would be Germany. Alternatively select the dash (-), this will force the television to scan the entire bandwidth for a signal.

Phyl
We brought all out tv's over with us using them for playstation dvd player for kids nemo etc they are all good our big Sony tv older version than your buying went funny the colour along the top is green on the edge and is no good to watch normal tv on we have just bought a new sony flatscreen hubbys choice and he is very happy got good deal for tv and free view which is great gives us what we need.
So I wouldn't take the risk shipping I would buy here in NZ plus you will have a t.v to watch when you come over !!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely in NZ :

-Warranty issues
-Tuner and sound will be correct (digital freeview)
-Less risk of damage in transit
-Negligible price differences (barring some exceptions)
Old Dec 10th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Decided to wait until we get to Nz at start of July to buy a TV.........but bought a Macbook laptop instead!! OH is like the proverbial pig in poo. Xmas present early....for the next few years

Phyl x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.