Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

son needs braces....do we wait or go?

son needs braces....do we wait or go?

Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default son needs braces....do we wait or go?

Hi everyone,

We are thinking of moving to New Zealand...my brother lives there. Before we make any firm decisions though I have a query.

My 13 year old son is starting work on his teeth in a month for braces. The whole process will take 2 or 3 years.

problem is, do we stay until he's all sorted, or do we leave and...well, will there be the chance for him to have it done in NZ??

Thanks!
Lydia
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: son needs braces....do we wait or go?

Hi Lydia

Welcome to this friendly & helpful forum

As for the braces I would think you would have to pay for them privately in NZ. Maybe your brother could ask his dentist how it would work for your son as he lives in NZ already

Good luck with your plans

Angela
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Just did a quick google search - seems you'll be looking at $6-8k to have them fitted in New Zealand.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies......

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:48 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Hi everyone,

We are thinking of moving to New Zealand...my brother lives there. Before we make any firm decisions though I have a query.

My 13 year old son is starting work on his teeth in a month for braces. The whole process will take 2 or 3 years.

problem is, do we stay until he's all sorted, or do we leave and...well, will there be the chance for him to have it done in NZ??

Thanks!
Lydia
I'm not sure exactly how it works doing it this way but we hope to be moving over to nz this year but we are going to get our sons braces fitted here before we went so that he has at least got them in. We're not sure of the after care that will carry on over there though. I guess we'll discover that when we get there. I just wanted them fitted while we can.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

We had them fitted before we left and about 6 months of aftercare. It still cost about $3k for continuing aftercare, initial examination etc . if you can bring your records it will save costs.

m
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The cost for braces + pre & after care is expensive here. Especially when earning the NZ $. Costs run into thousands of dollars. One parent I know has paid $8000K to date.
Most folks that I know ,who have kids that need this treatment have to take out an instalment plan to pay this off over a few years.
It pays to shop around for prices
Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for these....looks like we'll be waiting then!

Also, may do teacher training which will take 4 years....I'm currently a Teaching Assistant.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:34 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

ok I see why you would wait for the teacher thing but wait for braces!

I say get them in there and if you want to come here then come.Delaying for a set of braces seems a bit strange to me as its only a grand uk out of the entire moves budjet and the benifit of living here?? would that not outweigh a few crooked teeth!

george
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

I can see what you're saying, but it's more than crooked teeth....he has two rows in places and one growing out of his palate.....quite uncomfortable really.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:29 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Our experience in the Uk was that unless there is a medical reason, you have to pay in the UK also. We paid almost 3000 pounds for treatment for our son, which was completed just before he got here.

Also you can get some orthodontic work cover on health insurance in NZ (ours covers up to 60% or $600 per year)

So all in all the costs are similar.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

I would suggest you get it started in the UK and continue with treatment when you arrive. Just finished my daughters orthodontic bill $6200 after 2 years of payments but they are interest free! The after care here is in my opinion better than UK, prices do vary so depends where you are going to settle

Helen
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Two rows of teeth, our son was the same.
It took 5 years to get them straight.
If 2 yrs = $6200, 5 yrs =$$$$$$
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly! His health comes first....we can save and retrain while we wait! My daughter will also need braces in the next 2 years too!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:16 am

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

fair enuf only you know best as you can see his situation.

Really its not about his barces its about wether you want to pay for them here in NZ or try to get it done as free as possible in the UK.

For my money it would be move here and pay in order that the adventure can begin.

At what point is there a right time if you all have your health now then I say go for it as who knows if you wait three years alot can change kids grow up and then dont want to come and so on and on....

good luck no right or wrong im not judging you its a view point thats all.

george

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.