Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

parking at the beach, in most places in NZ in Cornwall is 9 GBP for half a day and if you god forbid head to St. Ives a flat fee of 10GBP
Browns bay free, Torbay free Muirwhai free
yes Auckland and Welly are not cheap but neither is London, Birmingham I bet the UK is dearer
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

most attractions are cheap to and eating out
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

gilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant futuregilliano77 has a brilliant future

Whats cheaper in NZ? Heating bills... it's getting cold here in the UK and the heating may have to come on in September...

Belated comment but I grew up on the isle of Wight and the price of that ferry.... grrr
Old Sep 7th 2011, 9:47 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilliano77
Whats cheaper in NZ? Heating bills...
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Best you hear this now- in NZ you still need to heat your home for a few months each year (warm bits of NI) or for many months each year (cold bits of SI) but it'll cost you a heck of a lot to do it and you'll *think* about heating more than you thought possible. Summer makes up for it though.

WRT house price comparisons, I find it interesting when folk say it's dearer here for property than in the UK and then you find that they've effectively 'leg upped' the ladder in terms of suburbs. So they might have been in a mediocre location in Britain and moved to somewhere on the north shore (Auckland) or the most desirable suburb.

Sometimes it works out well that way too: I moved from the South West (rubbish suburb in town) where we couldn't afford to buy even a 1 bed flat to one of the best suburbs in the Waikato where I own a lovely family home with quarter acre. I'm happy with that
Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:10 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Beer should be about half the price of what they charge, if that happened I'd be happy.

Why is it so expensive? Anyone know?
For reasons I'm not allowed to go into, I happen to know that in the SAS private bar in Papakura they pay $1.50 for a beer that costs about $5.00 'outside'. Shhhh. I gather that is cost price plus a bit, since their business is not selling beer. Keep it secret though. I imagine profits are high though cos those soldiers know how to put it away.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
and eating out
I certainly don't get the eating out bit, other than fish and chip takeaways where exactly is cheap to eat out? I find it ridiculously expensive, breakfast in a cafe $15 to $18 is the normal; $12 for a bowl of soup or $14 for an omelette. Push the boat out for a main meal and the cheapest on the menu might be mushroom risotto at $18 or more

Our budget certainly can't stretch to a Sunday breakfast, brunch or lunch out somewhere.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
parking at the beach, in most places in NZ in Cornwall is 9 GBP for half a day and if you god forbid head to St. Ives a flat fee of 10GBP
Browns bay free, Torbay free Muirwhai free
Really, you may as well be comparing eggs to biscuits. Pick the top tourist destinations in Cornwall and compare them to relatively sleepy suburban beaches of Aucklands North shore where nobody goes; other than the local old grannies hang out at the shops during the day and the yobs to hang out in the evenings; parking space is hardly at a premium.

Down the road at Takapuna you can pay $3 for 30 minutes to park and besides which there's hundreds of miles of other coastline in the UK where you can park for free.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

I find these queries very hard to respond to, because it's all relative to income. I have to say that there is no way on Gods earth that I could ever have afforded our current home in the UK....but we did live in the South East, which is hardly the cheapest area of the UK to live in, and Rotorua isn't the most expensive part of NZ. So, for me, housing here is way, way cheaper. But I accept that others will have a very different perspective.

Decent coffee is cheaper, again, my opinion, but I can go to any one of the local (almost all excellent) coffee shops & pay between $4- $4.50 for a large flat white. I am absolutely sure that I paid a lot more for a Starbucks/Costa/ Caffe Nero coffee.

But it's all relative to income, I know my hourly rate of pay in the UK, I know my hourly rate of pay here & I (still) sometimes do the calculations...when I was earning x gbp/hr that item would have taken me a hours of work to pay for. And in NZ, earning $y/hr, the same purchase will take me b hours of work.

I'm lucky...I earn a little more here than I did there. Also I work full time now, as opposed to 3 days a week there (but also my children are older...I'm less needed "on call" for them & am able to be out of the house for longer hours), so financially I'm more secure.

The other aspect is, & I'm not sure if this is a Rotorua thing, or common to NZ, but a huge number of activities are cheaper here. If I wanted to do the tourist thing & see the London attractions I paid the same as everyone else. In Rotorua if you can prove you're a local most attractions are substantially reduced. Cheap days out
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:50 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tomsk
In Rotorua if you can prove you're a local most attractions are substantially reduced. Cheap days out
I've noticed that about Rotorua! I envy you the Polynesian Spa. If I had my time again I would have given Rotorua some more serious consideration- it's a lovely spot I think!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:53 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

"there's hundreds of miles of other coastline in the UK where you can park for free."

BJ you will have to tell me where... Get anywhere near the sea and the Council Car Parking charges start, unless you are talking about parking a boat... The only places without meter charges are protected by double yellow lines with a traffic warden behind every tree....
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I also don't get this either about eating out being cheap here. In fact, I find it one of the most expensive countries to eat out in. I see coffee is creeping up now to four dollars a cup and muffins are now going that way. There must also be pressure on the shops to have conformity of prices as you rarely see anything cheaper than the norn.

That's what makes it so dull - when you see the prices in one restaurant then you know that this will be the same everywhere. Even McDonalds don't seem to have the crowds they used to, and what large family can afford even their high prices.

Also, who does eat at all those restaurants in downtown Auckland they endlessly promote? They talk in those silly newspaper articles of two having a wonderful meal (it's always wonderful) with two starters, two mains and a couple of drinks for a hunded and fifty dollars plus. Who are they catering to with this sort of rubbish?

The take-aways in those foodhalls are also expensive at eight dollars plus a shot. Perhaps someone can let me know where the cheap restaurants are in Auckland.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 11:54 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I also don't get this either about eating out being cheap here. In fact, I find it one of the most expensive countries to eat out in.
I agree with you there
Perhaps someone can let me know where the cheap restaurants are in Auckland.
http://mcdonalds.co.nz/find-us/restaurant
http://www.wendys.co.nz/#/locations/
http://www.kfc.co.nz/

Take a look at the Big Mac Index (GDP adjusted and raw) and you'll see that it is indeed more expensive in NZ.

http://www.bigmacindex.org/2011-big-mac-index.html

Food for thought?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:01 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I certainly don't get the eating out bit, other than fish and chip takeaways where exactly is cheap to eat out? I find it ridiculously expensive, breakfast in a cafe $15 to $18 is the normal; $12 for a bowl of soup or $14 for an omelette. Push the boat out for a main meal and the cheapest on the menu might be mushroom risotto at $18 or more

Our budget certainly can't stretch to a Sunday breakfast, brunch or lunch out somewhere.
Asian Cafe lunches for less than $10 are cheap and yummy.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Asian Cafe lunches for less than $10 are cheap and yummy.
Yeah the Thai place in Rialto on Broadway was also tasty and cheap - however if I ate there every day then I'd be living up to my nickname.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:05 pm
---

While replying to another post I just realised something that is now WAY cheaper in NZ than the UK- a university degree!

I'm doing one, husband's doing his second, kids are going to uni too. Average cost $4.5-$5.5k per year. I think that compares quite favourably with the UK at the moment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.