Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:22 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

Free parking right throughout Taupo. Used to cost me a quid for 15 minutes on the Isle of Wight.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:57 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Free parking right throughout Taupo. Used to cost me a quid for 15 minutes on the Isle of Wight.
how much did they charge for the isle of shite being parked in the Solent?
whatever it was it weren't enough
Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
how much did they charge for the isle of shite being parked in the Solent?
whatever it was it weren't enough
How unkind! I spent many happy weekends sailing the solent with my old dad and then visiting friends on the Isle. A lovely place to be!

Last edited by martyc; Sep 1st 2011 at 2:47 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 11:20 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Housing - on average.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:26 am
Just Joined

bassking is a jewel in the roughbassking is a jewel in the roughbassking is a jewel in the roughbassking is a jewel in the rough

Wine
Tins of tuna
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wine ? NNoooo.

Parking is about the only thing I can think of straight off.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:06 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martyc
How unkind! I spent many happy weekends sailing the solent with my old dad and then visiting friends on the Isle. A lovely place to be!
well the two blokes I've shared a house with and came from there both used to refer to the Isle of Sh!te. One was living in central London and the other in rural France so I suppose it might be they didn't get on with the place.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 2:07 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by BEVS
Wine ? NNoooo.

Parking is about the only thing I can think of straight off.
not in Auckland
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I don't mind eating less but drinking less is tough.
I hear ya brother have some karma
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by southerner
Housing - on average.

if my folks sold thier 3 bedroom house with garden,garage and moved where I am, they would be able to get a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment where a cat would worry about being swung. (the strong dollar/weak pound combo wouldnt help either. even if it was 3/1 it wouldnt make much difference)

The house prices in this country are a joke. The wages havent shifted upwards but the house prices are so out of phase compared to income.

"but we have nice views.............."
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:15 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaras dad
if my folks sold thier 3 bedroom house with garden,garage and moved where I am, they would be able to get a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment where a cat would worry about being swung. (the strong dollar/weak pound combo wouldnt help either. even if it was 3/1 it wouldnt make much difference)

The house prices in this country are a joke. The wages havent shifted upwards but the house prices are so out of phase compared to income.

"but we have nice views.............."
On average means what it says. To help comparison are your folks selling in an equivalent suburb in London to Birkdale in Auckland.

I could quote my own situation which is the other extreme - bought twice the house for half the money (suburban London to suburban regional city) but I won't be caught saying NZ housing is quarter the price of UK.

Also the income relativity is a separate issue, and for some people it is less relevant eg.retirees, or those who can get equally good salaries in both countries, so better IMO to treat that as a separate question.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:17 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Drink driving.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
On average means what it says. To help comparison are your folks selling in an equivalent suburb in London to Birkdale in Auckland.

I could quote my own situation which is the other extreme - bought twice the house for half the money (suburban London to suburban regional city) but I won't be caught saying NZ housing is quarter the price of UK.

Also the income relativity is a separate issue, and for some people it is less relevant eg.retirees, or those who can get equally good salaries in both countries, so better IMO to treat that as a separate question.
The national average is probably a fairer way of looking at it. London has & probably always will be more expensive.
National average in NZ is $345-365K.
National average in UK, at today's exchange rate is around $320K.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:11 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Drink driving.
getting (limited part of) your licence back after losing it for speeding (and drinking.....) bargainaceous so I hear

getting off your sentence because you're a nice person - aka Directions
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice
Angry Re: Someone at work asked me this week what stuff is cheaper in the NZ

Originally Posted by mickey_d
The national average is probably a fairer way of looking at it. London has & probably always will be more expensive.
National average in NZ is $345-365K.
National average in UK, at today's exchange rate is around $320K.
Actually I would put the housing (where we are in and around 'the tron') as comparable. However, I think that you get more for your money here. For instance I (still) have a three bed semi in dorset on a piece of land that I could jump over on a mountain bike. Now if I sold my house and brought a house for exactly the same in dollars (even with the shocking quid to $) I would get a lot more. 235k for my semi. $450 would get me a very nice house and block (if you hunt around)

My two penneth!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.