Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Someone has finally noticed the whole NZ flights scam

Someone has finally noticed the whole NZ flights scam

Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Someone has finally noticed the whole NZ flights scam

I've just been reading this in the Herald, I know it's been mentioned on here before but it's about time it was brought to the medias attention. Another thing us NZ based people are paying through the nose for.

My mum, brother and nephew have just booked flights to come and see us with AirNZ and they've got a great deal including 2 nights in Hong Kong, internal flights from AKL to DUN and back all for way less than it would be for us to do the reverse trip with non of the extras.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10818060
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone has finally noticed the whole NZ flights scam

How much did I yell at the TV when I saw Dickhead Key over in London pleading with David Cameron to reduce the airport tax? Ya boo sucks, because it was hurting tourist numbers to poor little NZ. He looked like the stupid little boy that he is, how can he complain to other countries about their policies when it costs so much more to fly from here already.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I've just been reading this in the Herald, I know it's been mentioned on here before but it's about time it was brought to the medias attention. Another thing us NZ based people are paying through the nose for.

My mum, brother and nephew have just booked flights to come and see us with AirNZ and they've got a great deal including 2 nights in Hong Kong, internal flights from AKL to DUN and back all for way less than it would be for us to do the reverse trip with non of the extras.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10818060
Is it just Air New Zealand or are others like Emirates and Singapore Airlines the same?
Old Jul 7th 2012, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Iv,e been banging on about this since i got here is anybody surprised by the prices here any more ?

The stupid thing is that if they where cheaper i would probably fly back twice a year instead of the once every 2 years that we do currently

Thieving bast*rds, neil
Old Jul 8th 2012, 1:56 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

it's a kiwi thing, bend over, drop your trousers and prepare to be butt f**ked

I business associate of mine has an open return from the UK. Yes he has to use it before the year is up, but he can choose his date. He doesn't save a huge amount because it's an open ticket, but he DOES save.

He has admitted that he won't always do it, but while his (elderly) family is still here, he will.

Incidentally a mate who made the move from UK to Aussie, he makes the journey home every two years for a fraction of the cost we pay......more peeps = better choice
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
it's a kiwi thing, bend over, drop your trousers and prepare to be butt f**ked
However if you're not of the being shafted from behind persuasion, then you're meant to say nowt and politely toddle of elsewhere out of NZ or risk the wrath of the locals who seemingly prefer it this way.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

When you've been here a while longer you'll see these type of stories repeated over & over again. Whether it be price of milk, cheese , food in general, electricity, fuel, blah, blah, blah......
There will then be some investigation promised & that's the last you will hear about it, until next time.
It can't be long before we have the international food basket comparison in the papers & on TV again
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually not a scam at all, it is businesses maximising revenue based on different markets. It is done everywhere in the world, by all airlines.

For example, it is often cheaper for NZ'ers to fly United, Qantas or Virgin Australia to the USA than it is for Australians. Despite the extra 2x 4 hour flights to get to Australia.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at it the whole pricing structure is down to basic economics, NZ population of less than 4m so a potential for few thousand passengers to travel to the UK. The UK has a population of around 67m so if you simply look at the potential for visitors it makes sense that flight would be cheaper from the UK rather than the other way around, Im not saying for one sec i agree with it, having been here 5 years and not been able to afford flights back for a holiday it really stinks but we did know that before we came over that flights back would be a costly exercise, I think as part of citizenship they should throw in free flights to your homeland as part of it ..... LOL
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

shellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond reputeshellmat has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone checked out the pros and cons of signing up for a frequent flyer program with one of the airlines servicing NZ? I joined United's program which is star alliance in the US. United is not a particularly good airline, but is quite generous with frequent flyer miles and I use their credit card to earn a bucket load of miles. Sure you pay for it but managed to get 3 business class tickets when we flew to NZ 2 years ago. We're hopefully going to be moving to NZ early next year and was wondering about airlines as it does seem to be very expensive to fly back to the UK. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 8:49 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

How much did I yell at the TV when I saw Dickhead Key over in London pleading with David Cameron to reduce the airport tax? Ya boo sucks, because it was hurting tourist numbers to poor little NZ. He looked like the stupid little boy that he is, how can he complain to other countries about their policies when it costs so much more to fly from here already.
He's just making the noises that people want to hear, it's just for show and they're muppets if they believe it .

Don't forget who the majority shareholder is in Air NZ with 73.36% of the company, and who will remain that way (by a slim margin) even after the asset sales are finished.