British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   as some of you may know (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/some-you-may-know-814102/)

MrsFychan Nov 4th 2013 6:22 pm

as some of you may know

I have been on a bit of a moan about the school system over here.
the laid back way of teaching wasn't really working for my daughter, 10 when we came and now 12. I took the bull by the horns and contacted the local college and have managed to get a place starting 2014 rather than 2015 which is when in the current situation she was due to go.
all panic stations now as lots to do and expensive things to buy but she is really excited by it and hopefully it will ease my worried mind to get her back into a way of teaching she is more accustomed to. fingers crossed

as for my youngest, 6 when he came he seems to be doing quite well, not having the UK system fixed into his system so just going with the flow.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 4th 2013 7:12 pm

Re: as some of you may know

That's excellent news Mrs F. Will be a huge relief to you & hopefully far more stimulating for your daughter. :D

pippalonghorn Nov 4th 2013 8:49 pm

:) Great news. Education is so important. I know I stress about it on a daily basis. Bet your daughter is so excited.

MrsFychan Nov 4th 2013 9:22 pm

she is very excited, is announcing it in "news time" this morning so they will all know now. will have to see how it went at the end of school today

skybluestu Nov 7th 2013 8:34 pm

great news, which college is she going too?

MrsFychan Nov 7th 2013 11:21 pm

Kapiti. wasn't to sure about it but checking out the stats for their literacy and numeracy they came out top

bourbon-biscuit Nov 7th 2013 11:30 pm

That is great news, and hopefully a good solution for her :thumbup:

skybluestu Nov 11th 2013 2:31 am

My Daughter goes there and loves it, she is in her NCEA year but has already passed before sitting her exams, she wants to get merits and excellence so is revising hard. She has been there over 18 months and has no issues, the teachers are good and the standards are high.
We also have some other English friends whose son starts the next year and he is looking forward to it. With our little social crowd there must be 6 or 7 English kids who go to the college and seem pretty settled.

MrsFychan Nov 11th 2013 4:23 am

thanks skybluestu.

Got to get used to all these NCEA etc and how it all works. glad to see your daughter is doing so well.

Can you tell me if you can buy the school emblem for the childrens blouses/shirts or are we really stuck with $55 per blouse??