Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

some things not to do at job interviews

some things not to do at job interviews

Old Mar 22nd 2013, 7:36 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default some things not to do at job interviews

taken from a news report http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8463...-t-get-workers

COMMON JOBSEEKER FAULTS

Drunkenness
Absenteeism
Failing drug tests
Physicality when told to leave site
Not turning up for interview
Smoking throughout interview
Chewing gum throughout interview
No CV prepared
CVs full of basic spelling mistakes
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: some things not to do at job interviews

Answering your mobile phone

Taking your sock off and scratching your foot

Saying to the interviewer "look love I am only here cos the benefits lady told me I had to"

And my personal favorite "mmm yeah I don't really accept people have mental health problems they need to pull themselves together" Which is not a fine comment to make and most defiantly not a fine comment to make when you are being interviewed for a job in a mental health charity

Sadly all true and all happened to me whilst in my various HR jobs
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You sure do get all sorts, I once had a guy put his feet up on my desk.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 11:49 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: some things not to do at job interviews

I don't so much see being drunk as a fault, it's just an invitation to continue this business in a more relaxed environment over a few drinks. After all if you can't strike a deal over a pint and a handshake what chance do you have of working together?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:19 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Employers and Manufacturers Association Northern chief executive Kim Campbell said he was constantly hearing complaints from employers about jobseekers who don't show up on time, can't fill in forms, or once landing the job, disappear for days.

"That includes people who allegedly have skills. They just don't have civic skills; they don't know how to be citizens."

Mr Campbell said the problem could be more noticeable because the recession had driven skilled workers overseas and "we're left with the dregs".

Marlborough has the lowest unemployment in NZ, they have to bring gangs of workers for the vineyards from overseas, Tonga, Vanuatu and Thailand. Because they are unwilling to hire Kiwis, for pretty much the reasons listed above.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 12:54 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

That list is shocking of course, and I'm sure there are people who do that, but I wonder if it is the full picture. I find the comments interesting reading. I think this article is a bit one-sided.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 1:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, jmh, I agree.

Like the boss who:

- was five minutes late to interview me (so busy, so important)

- dismissed one of the interview panel members within 60 seconds of my interview starting to enable them to criticise the local workforce when out of earshot of a local employee

- spent the whole interview leaning back in the chair, hands on head

- sneered that some people would rather claim the dole than work, furthermore in some countries if you don't work you don't eat

- was evasive when I asked how the job became vacant i.e. the previous post holder was offered a job elsewhere in the company and was offered support with that role

Regarding a completely different job. My most recent turn down for a job was because I did not complete the skills assessment prior to being interviewed. So, I was good enough to be interviewed but they really had to look for an excuse not to offer me the job. They've just undermined their own argument. So, a week to the day of turning me down, I see the job advertised again. Wonder what happened to the successful applicant. They had filled out the skills assessment (an interview on paper before they ask you different questions in the interview, Ye Gods). I know this because I asked the person who told me I was unsuccessful. They advised me about my interview preparation (patronise patronise). So, the way I interviewed and my employment history and skills meant nothing. They just needed an excuse to turn me down. I was supposed to be doing Jury service that week, but had to cancel as the interview could not be rescheduled so I've missed out on my Jury service fee. Well, until I get called for Jury Service again.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 23rd 2013 at 1:24 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 5:12 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Employers and Manufacturers Association Northern chief executive Kim Campbell said he was constantly hearing complaints from employers about jobseekers who don't show up on time, can't fill in forms, or once landing the job, disappear for days.

"That includes people who allegedly have skills. They just don't have civic skills; they don't know how to be citizens."

Mr Campbell said the problem could be more noticeable because the recession had driven skilled workers overseas and "we're left with the dregs".

Marlborough has the lowest unemployment in NZ, they have to bring gangs of workers for the vineyards from overseas, Tonga, Vanuatu and Thailand. Because they are unwilling to hire Kiwis, for pretty much the reasons listed above.
I'd love to know how much those employers where offering and how they advertised, don't cry to me if hire a monkey at minimum wage and complain you needed a rocket scientist. Decent workers have always meant paying a premium regardless of if they where laborers or more skilled.

If you can't afford to pay a decent wage to a decent worker you don't have a viable business. Flooding the market with low wage foreign workers is a completely unacceptable solution.