British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Are some immigrants greedy ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/some-immigrants-greedy-646415/)

tehori Dec 28th 2009 11:32 pm

Are some immigrants greedy ?

Chatting to a Brit immigrant who joined his daughter in NZ under the family reunion part of immigration.
Now this bloke arrived ten years ago when he was fifty five and is about to qualify for NZ super due to turning sixty five.
But, he is not a happy bunny because he believes he is entitled to two state pensions, one from the UK and one from NZ.
Now I am curious, who else believes they should be entitled to two state supers due to them being in NZ for ten years ?

Or should we just fix the problem by making NZ super have a full pay out after a person has lived in NZ for forty years and pro rata for those who have not ?
It smacks to me of greed when some want NZ super after only ten years.

Jo-Chris Dec 28th 2009 11:42 pm

Re: Are some immigrants greedy ?

Originally Posted by tehori (Post 8202380)
Chatting to a Brit immigrant who joined his daughter in NZ under the family reunion part of immigration.
Now this bloke arrived ten years ago when he was fifty five and is about to qualify for NZ super due to turning sixty five.
But, he is not a happy bunny because he believes he is entitled to two state pensions, one from the UK and one from NZ.
Now I am curious, who else believes they should be entitled to two state supers due to them being in NZ for ten years ?

Or should we just fix the problem by making NZ super have a full pay out after a person has lived in NZ for forty years and pro rata for those who have not ?

Hi,

My understanding was that you receive the state pension (the quantity you have paid in for via national insurance contributions) in the UK and what you have paid in in NZ? :blink:

tehori Dec 28th 2009 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris (Post 8202395)
Hi,

My understanding was that you receive the state pension (the quantity you have paid in for via national insurance contributions) in the UK and what you have paid in in NZ? :blink:

Nope, NZ super is available to all who have lived here ten years or better.
Which makes it a bit silly because this bloke has been working in a Supermarket at close to minimum wage.
So he would have paid sod all NZ income tax.
A quick calculation tells me that two years super will more than wipe out all the income tax he has paid here.

Charismatic Dec 28th 2009 11:59 pm

I don't believe in state pensions and doubt in 10 or 20 years they will be available due to the changing population structure. I think most sensible people expect this and are planning ahead now. I see kiwisaver as the governments signal that this will be the case in future :thumbup:.

If he can legally claim both then I don't see why not, I know of people claiming that are far less deserving TBH.

begmohsin Dec 29th 2009 12:12 am

Originally Posted by tehori (Post 8202380)

If you paid taxes in both countries, they why not from both countries?

tehori Dec 29th 2009 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 8202414)
I don't believe in state pensions and doubt in 10 or 20 years they will be available due to the changing population structure. I think most sensible people expect this and are planning ahead now. I see kiwisaver as the governments signal that this will be the case in future :thumbup:.

If he can legally claim both then I don't see why not, I know of people claiming that are far less deserving TBH.

That is why he is upset, the government will take the UK pension and offset it against his NZ super.
Still he still gets free hospital care on our dollar.
I am starting to question the family reunion policy of immigration, does it do anything to help get in the people we need ?

Genesis Dec 29th 2009 1:17 am

Originally Posted by tehori (Post 8202459)
That is why he is upset, the government will take the UK pension and offset it against his NZ super.
Still he still gets free hospital care on our dollar.
I am starting to question the family reunion policy of immigration, does it do anything to help get in the people we need ?

He's being greedy IMO. I fully expect NZ to take ALL my UK pension in lieu of the full NZ pension I am going to get. If he does not like it he can always pop on a plane back to the UK and stay there. I reckon he's one of those 'the world owes me a living merchant'. I am going to be taxed on my UK police pension when it come in to play in 9 years. Once again if I don't like it I can go home. I won't as i accept the rules and play by them..especially being an immigrant. I reckon us immigrants need to be squeaky clean as we are 'guests' here. Immigrants who take the piss in the UK **** me off so I need to tow the line.

NakiMan Dec 29th 2009 3:25 am

"Or should we just fix the problem by making NZ super have a full pay out after a person has lived in NZ for forty years and pro rata for those who have not ?"

Just like in the UK

I think that's an excellent Idea

The fundamental problem is that the NZ super is a non contributory, non funded scheme. The amount that you get is not in any way related to the amount that you have paid in taxes. Think of it as entirely a gift from the NZ government and it kind of makes more sense.

jennifer45 Dec 29th 2009 10:43 am

It sometimes beggars belief at how 'kiwis' fail to realise how lucky they are!
I have paid heavily into the UK pension fund for over 40 years through graduated pensions and superannuation and receive little more than Kiwis get for FREE! My State pension is frozen on the day I take up residency in NZ and stays at the same level until it equates with what a person in my status (Married) receives, then I receive the equivalent NZ pension.
Unfortunately for me, I am classed as part of a 'couple' in NZ and cannot claim a pension based on my FULL contributions to the UK Pension Fund.(Unless I divorce HIM!-Then I'd be quids in!)
Many UK immigrant wives, who only paid a much reduced married woman's stamp , when working in the UK, must be smiling at their good fortune.
The Kiwis should be LAUGHING! They are getting something for nothing!
They really don't realise how fortunate they are!
They get a bus service on Xmas Day- used to be free- but what the hell- someone is prepared to give up their Xmas day to transport moaning, complaining Kiwis about during holiday time. It used to be free!
The bus driver even had a wicker basket full of little gifts/cookies/spice for kiddies taped to the fascia.

I am now going to write a letter praising the bus drivers of Wellington for their happy, helpful and pleasant demeanor during the holiday period.

Happy and prosperous New Year to you all
Jennie x

strawbie Dec 29th 2009 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8202543)
I won't as i accept the rules and play by them..especially being an immigrant. I reckon us immigrants need to be squeaky clean as we are 'guests' here. Immigrants who take the piss in the UK **** me off so I need to tow the line.

Ha immigrants take the **** completely in the UK, thats why lots of brits are leaving! alot of them dont even work and have all the 'bling!!' IMO :rofl::rofl:

begmohsin Dec 29th 2009 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by strawbie (Post 8204475)
Ha immigrants take the **** completely in the UK, thats why lots of brits are leaving! alot of them dont even work and have all the 'bling!!' IMO :rofl::rofl:

Strawberry bon bons

lapsed kiwi Dec 30th 2009 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by jennifer45 (Post 8203266)
It sometimes beggars belief at how 'kiwis' fail to realise how lucky they are!

There's a great song about that - can't find the original 70s version, but here is a modern rendition:

Ozzidoc Dec 30th 2009 6:01 pm

Are some immigrants greedy?

Yes, just like some non-immigrants are. People are the same the world over.

jennifer45 Jan 1st 2010 10:14 am

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 8206736)
There's a great song about that - can't find the original 70s version, but here is a modern rendition:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AYvMeT2GC14

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Never seen or heard that one before.
Thought you might be taking the PI$$ but then you wouldn't would you?:unsure:

Stormer999 Jan 1st 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 8206744)
Are some immigrants greedy?

Yes, just like some non-immigrants are. People are the same the world over.

Our UK bankers bonuses and politicians expenses keep cropping up!:eek: